What to do with a damaged 3 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilfonzo

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my brewery and while doing so I bought some kegs from a buddy and he threw in a 3 gallon keg that can't be used for storing beer or fermenting because someone along the line welded part of the bottom.
So my question to you guys is what should I do with it, I'm not set on what type of rig i'm going with yet but it will be 10 gallons, two pumps, and a single tier. So maybe a 3 gallon eHerms HEX
Msdzj.jpg

HbXzg.jpg

zZ3mN.jpg

If you weren't so far away I'd offer you something for it. I cut the tops off and make 30 gallon fermenters out of them. I can only use the single handle ones like what you have.

4F6F156B.jpg

01927EE7.jpg

I second the star San. I use a 5 gal keg for storing star San but it's not very convinient because of the size.

Unless it was welded from the inside a good cleaning maybe a wire brushing and it probably would be ok.

It was welded from the outside and the inside of the weld has splatter and small divots everywhere that whatever yeast from the first beer i put in there will settle and contaminate the second, in theory.

Starsan keg is a good idea but I usually have whatever the last 5 gal I cleaned full of starsan.

I'm really leaning towards an independent eHERMS HEX. Small, portable, efficient, relatively inexpensive.

That could be a great hop back, fill it full of whole cone hops, drain your wort through the dip tube side and collect it out of the gas side. Or put two weld less fitting on it, one on the bottom for the in-side, one on the top for the out.

Back