5-Year Annual Series Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagee

Most impressive "member"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of my friends and I at the LHBS have been bouncing around the idea of doing a 5-year series of annual batches, much like others in these forums have done with the 1-1-1, 2-2-2, etc. brews. This was inspired in large part to Stone's Vertical series as well, with the minor detail that we've often remarked that they didn't really seem to plan that series as a vertical. With several of the early batches being lighter styles not suited to aging, they obviously didn't intend for folks to save them up with the intent of drinking through the entire chain (as some have). I can't really blame them for this, as it'd take quite a bit of work to develop the correct sequence of recipes for an entire 12-13-year chain anyway.

... Which is precisely why I'm polling folks for ideas as to what type of brews would make a good 5-year series instead. I don't have much trouble with the first few ideas--I'm thinking a Belgian Quad, RIS, and Barleywine in some order or another--and the last one seems like it'd be well-suited to an IIPA, but the second to last year is throwing me, as is the overall sequence. What type of brews would work best with a 1.5- to 2-year aging period as opposed to the longer terms of those listed above? I'm considering a Scotch ale, but have never really been enamored with those in the past, so I'd like to see if there's something else I'm not considering.

Additionally, while I'll be brewing these AG, most of my cohorts will be doing a PM at best, so whatever I select will need to be relatively suitable for that situation. I'm still trying to work out the overall order of the batches, so I'd be happy to hear suggestions on that as well. I'm thinking the Quad first (a Westy clone that I've been meaning to attempt anyway), and a Pliny clone last, but beyond that, I haven't locked anything down. Anyone else have suggestions or thoughts?

Are all of you and your brew buddies going to be brewing the same beers? Instead I suggest the 4 or 5 of you (don't know how many are involved) could each work on perfecting one of the big brews each year and then exchanging a six pack to each member at the end of the year. Take notes and use that to adjust the recipe.

So basically each of you would take on one style. And brew it every year. Just a thought

You could also concider an old ale and a braggot both may be fun to verticle. I like the idea and will see if there is any interest in my club to do something similar.

Hmm... interesting ideas. I do like the idea of having everyone refine their own recipe and equipment to dial-in the flavor they want, but I'd be concerned that everyone would get tired of brewing the same thing over and over again (admittedly, over a large timespan). I'll run it by everyone and see what their thoughts are.

I hadn't considered an Old Ale, but that's an excellent idea for the grey area in the 2 year slot. I'd been intending to work on one anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't know if you brew cider, but in that forum there are many comments on even simple ciders aged over 1 year being amazing.

I'd love to do a sour, but I don't know that everyone in the group will be a fan of wrecking a full set of equipment to dedicate to a permanent case of infection. I'll probably do one of those on my own during the span, but I'm fine contaminating my own stuff.

I hadn't thought of a cider, but everyone's been a fan of the apfelweins I've been putting out. Maybe I'll rotate that into one spot as well.

Doppelbock...inspired by the optimator I just finished... That is if you have the equipment to lager it for a long time

Sadly, lagering is out. Such equipment is on my long-term list to procure/produce, but no time or money thus far.

Back