Need some help from the experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So, I'm taking out the welder and a trip to the metal store and building this:

Brewhemoth%20with%20valves_1.png

Does anyone have measurements on one of these? I plan to up to 25 gallon over 22, but I don't have access to one to measure up and work the numbers. Building one, and if it goes right three more right away.

Good luck. The geometry and measurement is pretty simple. I would base the dimensions on your fermentation space. Do you have a cold room or someplace you are going to be putting these? For a 25 gallon fermenter, you will need a volume of 3.34 cubic feet.

I am not fully understanding what you want to fab? The legs? The entire unit? Do you have a way to control ferm temps on a unit that size?

I also see that you want to do 20+ gallon batches. That would give you less than 10 brew days a year, legally.

Last thing is I have personally had 30+ gallons of beer in 1 fermenter before. IMO it is a LOT of beer to deal with all at 1 time and if you get a bad batch or something goes wrong, that is a lot of wasted beer/cash. (I had to dump mine...only dumper to date...)

Best of luck!

I also see that you want to do 20+ gallon batches. That would give you less than 10 brew days a year, legally.

The 200 gallons is availabe stored at any given time. That is not saying you have to "stop" brewing at 200 gallons a year.

For example, if you began brewing in January and had 200 gallons of beer kegged by March, you (leagally) must stop. But, if by May you have consumed 100 gallons of said beer then you may brew and keg another 100 gallons.

The limit applies to available stock and does not include consumed product.

Think of it this way. If you are raided tomorrow and have 50 gallons of beer on hand but have drank 150 that year prior to the raid, how will they know?

But, if you have 300 gallons of beer on hand at the time of the raid that would be a clear violation of the limit.

Capice?

Good luck. The geometry and measurement is pretty simple. I would base the dimensions on your fermentation space. Do you have a cold room or someplace you are going to be putting these? For a 25 gallon fermenter, you will need a volume of 3.34 cubic feet.

Sweet so I did my math right.

THANK YOU!! Perfect.

I am not fully understanding what you want to fab? The legs? The entire unit? Do you have a way to control ferm temps on a unit that size?

Last thing is I have personally had 30+ gallons of beer in 1 fermenter before. IMO it is a LOT of beer to deal with all at 1 time and if you get a bad batch or something goes wrong, that is a lot of wasted beer/cash. (I had to dump mine...only dumper to date...)

Best of luck!

The entire unit, I have means to control temps, and I'm a brewery sooo yea not really limited.

Here is a website with links to drawings.

Conical Material Hoppers

Check the prices also, you may want to start with a purchased hopper and domed lid.

Thanks!

The 200 gallons is availabe stored at any given time. That is not saying you have to "stop" brewing at 200 gallons a year.

For example, if you began brewing in January and had 200 gallons of beer kegged by March, you (leagally) must stop. But, if by May you have consumed 100 gallons of said beer then you may brew and keg another 100 gallons.

Think of it this way. If you are raided tomorrow and have 50 gallons of beer on hand but have drank 150 that year prior to the raid, how will they know?

But, if you have 300 gallons of beer on hand at the time of the raid that would be a clear violation of the limit.

Capice?

Good explanation. Doesn't apply to me, but well said.

Nukin, I can't wait to see these creations.

GilaMinumBeer said:

Capice?

If you can provide a resource for this I would like to see it. I have seen many different variants of this law, some states have posted number limits but others don't. Also, the limit is based per year of production, not an on hand total. You can have vintages from years past and they would count towards the year they were made. The grey area is pretty big here.

-cheers

You can have vintages from years past and they would count towards the year they were made.

My interpretation of the law came straight from an ABLE commision officer. Since wee as homebrewers are not required to keep production logs for taxation purposes they can only enforce by what they can see.

Thus, a 200 gallon available limit for a 2 adult household.

However, IF you keep detailed logs they "could" be used to prove production stats per year and hold up in a court to your favor. Without them, you got nuthin'.

GilaMinumBeer said:

Yeah you have to stop, or open a brewery like nukin is doing. You can't just brew 200 gal and drink it all then brew another 200 gal. 200 gal with two people in household is the production limit per year. Production of anything more is going to have to be taxed, regulated and etc. No mention of amount on hand limitations.
http://pintoflaw.com/?p=114

Yeah you have to stop, or open a brewery like nukin is doing. You can't just brew 200 gal and drink it all then brew another 200 gal. 200 gal with two people in household is the production limit per year. Production of anything more is going to have to be taxed, regulated and etc. No mention of amount on hand limitations.
Pint of Reference: A Guide To The Federal Homebrewing Exemption Statute

Un-enforcable UNLESS you keep a detailed production log, which we are not required to do.

Which is my whole point. They can only enforce against what they can prove.

Back