What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fix the internets. I wouldn't qualify myself as an engineer. But it's interesting to see how many people ARE! No wonder you guys have such crazy brew sculptures.

Spartan....but I have the heart and free-mindedness of a Portlander and Oregonian. They call me "granola" at work.

I work at Northern Brewer and have a BS in Communications. Definitely not an engineer, though I was one at a radio station.

Been a Marine for 22+ plus years. Blew some **** up with some Combat Engineers... does that count?

I work as a technical maintenance engineer at a tv station. Sometimes it's called an EIC ( engineer in charge ). In the past I was a chief tech at a recording studio. I was also an assistant recording engineer and have done some recording and mixing.

I work as a technical maintenance engineer at a tv station. Sometimes it's called an EIC ( engineer in charge ). In the past I was a chief tech at a recording studio. I was also an assistant recording engineer and have done some recording and mixing.

Nice. I'm not much of a tech although I could do it if I tried. Reading schematics isn't something that really interests me though.

Attorney here. I think brewing appeals to me so much because it affords me a creative outlet that I don't often get in my line of work.

EE here. I also enjoy my home-built telescope (8" f/7), grilling and 'queing (the slower the better). I also enjoy cooking, but SWMBO will elbow me out of the way if I look at her gear the wrong way.

While not an engineer, I changed my major from ME to Accounting at the beginning of my senior year. So I can't vote engineer, but I will say that I'm probably taken enough nerdy classes/do enough nerdy stuff to do so.

Many homebrewers are actually scientists as well. I know individuals from microbiology to chemistry backgrounds that brew in my local area.

As for my occupation - Student - Molecular Biology BS

Though I'm a bit offended by the choices of careers in the poll. It's not like half the world consists of engineers.

Though I'm a bit offended by the choices of careers in the poll. It's not like half the world consists of engineers.

Why offended? The OP was curious as to how many people were engineers. Thus, the only two options for the pole that make sense are "Engineer" and "Non Engineer".

Chemical Engineer - Mich Tech '04

My job doesn't delve much at all into chem eng so I guess my hobby took over that part of my brain...

Chemical Engineer, University of Delaware 2008. Not BS, BChE. For some reason the UD College of Engineering gives out Bachelors of Engineering, not Science (weird, huh?).

Currently working in Chester Co., PA as a process development engineer. I take the processes the labs come up with and re-write them to work in the existing plant equipment, or come up with workarounds to get as close as we can.

And I can DEFINITELY turn a screwdriver.

I voted "engineer."

You can't spell GEEK with EE.
BSEE '84...... Dang, that seems like such a long time ago!

Walker, I'm offended too......your avatar. It creeps me out!

Software Engineer

My title is "Sr. Sales Engineer", but I still use my software development skills everywhere.

International Politics at PSU, graduating in December.

Though I'm trying to summon the balls to take out some loans and switch to Food Science...I hate politics.

If you can do it in any way possible without taking out loans I say do it. I graduated a mechanical engineer and stayed for my masters. After working 2 years I realized I HATE it with a passion. But now I'm stuck for 10+ years until loans are paid off. If you already know what you dislike, run far away before its too late.

How is it I became an engineer because I like to tinker with things and use my hands. But nearly every engineering job that doesn't require a PhD has you sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer?

How is it I became an engineer because I like to tinker with things and use my hands. But nearly every engineering job that doesn't require a PhD has you sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer?

You made a mistake from the start. If you wanted tinker with things and use your hands (for something other than typing on a keybaord) you needed to be a technician and not an engineer.

I'm an EE and the only reason I've actually touched electronics stuff at all since I graduated was to build my HERMS system.

You made a mistake from the start. If you wanted tinker with things and use your hands (for something other than typing on a keybaord) you needed to be a technician and not an engineer.

I'm an EE and the only reason I've actually touched electronics stuff at all since I graduated was to build my HERMS system.

Actually, my mistake was that I had no idea (nor did I care) what engineering even was. I just knew I was smart enough and could do calculations and crap without barely trying. It was more like common sense to me. That and liberal arts people annoyed me to no end. Hah. Little did I know you should have passion because you will be stuck doing it for 30+ years. I'm unemployed now and absolutely dreading that I have to get another engineering job. Oh well, at least I met my man in school that's what I always consider my loans bought me.

If you can do it in any way possible without taking out loans I say do it. I graduated a mechanical engineer and stayed for my masters. After working 2 years I realized I HATE it with a passion. But now I'm stuck for 10+ years until loans are paid off. If you already know what you dislike, run far away before its too late.

I'm finding myself in a somewhat similar position. While I love the hands-on aspects of being a ChemE (i.e. being out in the plant troubleshooting a faulty pump, actually running a process, etc.) the long hours in front of the computer writing reports, process instructions, and doing scale-up calculations can be maddening from time to time. Couple that with the fact that the plant I'm based at here in PA is a union shop and I can't do all that much monkeying around up here. Now, when I'm down at our southern VA facility it's a different story entirely. No union, much more relaxed atmosphere, and nicer people. I basically have free reign to do what I like when I'm there as far as making on-the-fly process changes, being in the production areas, and in general just walking around the place.

Needless to say, I like when I have to travel. Apart from the 6-hour drive, that is. And I do like my job. I just really wish I got more time in the lab, is all...That's probably what I miss most about my internships, the actually getting to make stuff. Oh, well. I'll put in a few years and see about going back to school. Who knows? Maybe I'll have enough saved by then to start my own nanobrewery!

I am a masters student in Environmental Science and Biology and will be defending my thesis in about a month. I have a job lined up as a project coordinator/field crew leader/research associate on a big wetland project. Not an engineer, but I love to tinker and "fix" things.

I have a B.S. in Sociology: Concentration in Social and Criminal Justice.

Right now I work at a residential facility for people with mental illness.

However... during my stint in the U.S. Navy I was training to be an Electrician and I did fairly well until things went sour.:mug:

So, I only sort of qualify as an engineer.

Phd student in archaeology. But we tend to do a lot of our own cooking/plumbing/electrical/engineering ourselves being far from the comforts of modern civilization for months at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back