$3 per POUND 2009 cascade hops - Group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
Found this seller on Ebay. Got a veritable sh*tload of cascade hops donated by a local grower as a fundraiser for his homebrewing group. 200lb bales for $595, and says he'll pelletize them for $0.50 per pound.

With the spring/summer quickly approaching, and me with Edwort's Haus Pale on the mind, im thinking this could be an excellent group buy for HBT'ers.

Anyone have any interest?

2009 200lb Bale(s) Cascade hops

I would be interested. But who is willing to split up 200 pounds of hops? If someone has the time and willingness I would be all for it. Pellets would be best for me.

Cascade is 32$ a pound here for pellets and 50$ a pound for leaf. If shipping to Canada isn't a problem I'd take 2 pounds either in leaf or pellet.

This is going to be a nightmare unless you get clubs to go in for 10-20#s at a time. The shipping would be such a hassle if you are trying to sell them 2 and 3# at a time. Just my $0.02

This is going to be a nightmare unless you get clubs to go in for 10-20#s at a time. The shipping would be such a hassle if you are trying to sell them 2 and 3# at a time. Just my $0.02

no hating here....just kidding you are right I guess.....So if I have too let me know I'll buy more or go in with some one in the bham area for 10# we can split....:rockin:

You are absolutely right about it being crazily time consuming to split it all up. Sadly, I do not have the time to do it. I was just putting the info out there, hoping someone would be able to take advantage. I wish I could handle it all, lord knows you folks have given me enough over the years. I'd be happy to help out in any other way I can if someone takes the lead on this.

I'd also be in for 10# ;)

Rock on

Indeed Babalu. See above. I'm not going to be buying these, I just don't have the time. I was simply putting the info out there, hoping some forum members could take advantage.

Best we could hop for is a big brew club in Washington jumps on it and then wants to ship them around.

I'd be down for 5 lbs
Got a party I'm brewing for this Summer
I'll make big ass all Cascade IPA

I'd be down for about 5lbs. And maybe some more locals here that would be interested in some as well.

I would be in on 5 lbs too. If a club or bored/rich HBT member in WA can make the initial buy, I can also see how many people in my brew club want to buy some, so I bet I could take at least 10-20 lbs

I emailed the seller to see if we can get a freight estimate.

Even if it is like $500 to ship to me (in Jersey obviously) it would only be like 6$ a pound to cover that shipping or worst case 10$ a pound to ship to you.

Granted I'm not committing anything to this...but I may have some packaging people willing to help out. no guarantees though...just seeing what the final price would be

I would be in on 5 lbs too. If a club or bored/rich HBT member in WA can make the initial buy, I can also see how many people in my brew club want to buy some, so I bet I could take at least 10-20 lbs

Our brewclubs could likely join forces to get quite a good amount for the ATL area.

As someone once told me, Cascade is the bacon of beer - good in everything. If this is still a goer, I'd be down for 5lbs, depending on how steep shipping gets.

That seller has relisted. He has them in 44 lbs. vacu-sealed mylar packages @ $ 4.00/lbs. plus shipping. And the picture in the listing shows pellets. Damn, I wanted a bale:D

I think if you were to contact a grower directly, getting 44lb cartons or 200lb bales for WAY cheaper than retail would be pretty easy to do any time of the year... Especially for organic hops because a lot of the US growers cant even get rid of them (due to organic hops not being required in "organic" beer as of now... Most big brewers import organic hops from NZ, China, Germany, etc...) http://606organic.com/results.php?product=Hops

Back