HBT screen saver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bit of programming experience and was thinking of making a HBT screen saver with contributed pics of our members doing what they love to do. Would anyone be interested in something like this?

I bet if you start browsing galleries and collecting media, you'll wind up with a great collection of pics. Compile it into a simple screensaver, and there'll be plenty of takers (as long as it's free...).

EDIT:
With a little more effort, you could probably make a gallery style screen saver that downloads HBT image content as it runs...

Good idea. I never use a screen saver is just put it on suspend but a HBT screen saver is a pretty good idea.

I bet if you start browsing galleries and collecting media, you'll wind up with a great collection of pics. Compile it into a simple screensaver, and there'll be plenty of takers (as long as it's free...).

EDIT:
With a little more effort, you could probably make a gallery style screen saver that downloads HBT image content as it runs...

I like that idea and will do it if I can. A lot of security software will continually ask users if they want to let the application connect to the internet, even if they've told it to do so. I'd rather not have that annoyance for the end user.

Also, I would need official permisson from HBT to use the images. Or would I need permission from each person whose image I use?

-AJ

P.S. It would be absolutely free

If it simply downloads content, caches it for a brief period of time, and displays it, you need no permission. It would be acting as a very specialized web browser.

If, on the other hand, it downloads content, saves it permanently (or worse, modifies it), then you may be violating some terms of use.

I think the people are aware that when posting a picture online anyone can take it. That being said it would just be a courtesy if you ask people.

I think you'd want permission from folks before you use their pictures.
Not entirely true. As stated in my post above, no permission is needed if the images are only displayed as downloaded web content and not permanently stored. If you needed permission for that sort of thing, Mozilla, Opera, Microsoft, and a whole host of other software developers would be in a lot of trouble.

However, if the content is bundled and distributed with the software, it's a different issue.

I think the people are aware that when posting a picture online anyone can take it. That being said it would just be a courtesy if you ask people.

They can, as in it's possible to do it. Legally, no. And it's certainly not good practice. Where I work, we have a problem with that all the time. Instructors will just take pictures off the internet and use them without any thought to who they belong to. We're always having to turn them down when it comes to publishing videos and whatnot when they do that.

They can, as in it's possible to do it. Legally, no. And it's certainly not good practice. Where I work, we have a problem with that all the time. Instructors will just take pictures off the internet and use them without any thought to who they belong to. We're always having to turn them down when it comes to publishing videos and whatnot when they do that.
lol yes But I think this forum is a different case.:rolleyes:

Back