RIP George Carlin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for ruining my evening man :(

Last time I observed a minute of silence was for Johnny cash.. and last time before that was John Lee Hooker.

George gets 5 mins and at least 3 home brews... He was a genius and the world is a poorer place for the loss of him.

I wonder what the forum will do with the 7 dirty words in one string...

****Piss********CocksuckererMother****erandTits

At least we know his sould is at rest and he has gone to a better place.

Jebus is looking after him now.

Buddy_Christ2.jpg

He could bring tears to your eyes. I loved the way he looked at the English language and wondered why many of them seemed to have an opposite meaning.

He's seemed very bitter though in his last few years, but he cuts through the crap pretty quick.

R.I.P. George!

He'll certainly be missed here as well. For quite a long time, he was definitely my favorite comedian. I even have one or two of his books, though his written word isn't quite the same without his voice and attitude.

****, Piss, bless, lady, Co******er, Motherfvcker and Tits

man, he will be missed.

EDIT by RichBrewer: We have to watch our language in here!

georgecarlin.jpg

We saw a Carlin performance, must have been a bit more than seven years ago. Valentine's Day weekend, up in Burlington. That was the weekend I proposed to The (Now) Wife. Ain't I a romantic!

My all time favorite comic. I was hoping this was some kind of joke. Probably the most inteligent stand up comedian that ever lived. My day is ruined.

We'll miss you George.

(NSFW obviously)

"... but he loves you!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw him in 2000. One of the greatest shows of my life. He will be sadly missed and mourned.

My favorite anectdote(?) he told at that show was that he never washes his hands. He only washes his hands when he comes in direct contact with s#!t which happens AT MOST once a week! hahahaha

Can I blaspheme a little bit (he wouldn't mind ;)) and say that some of the more recent Carlin material I've seen felt a little... redundant? I think he may have peaked a few years back. Didn't seem quite as fresh; more "Carlin-Being-Carlin" in some of the stuff from the last few years. Not a knock on the guy - it's something that anybody that's developed such a strong persona has got to fight against. But, I remember seeing that he was performing somewhere not too far away, and I didn't feel particularly complelled to rush out and buy tickets.

Before going to bed last night, I thought "Let's have a quick look at the news first." Wish I hadn't, I lay awake for hours thinking about George.

He was the best comedian ever, pure and simple. I'm sorry that all the media eulogies are focusing on the "7 dirty words." That was a brilliant routine, but it doesn't define him by any means. There was so much more. He was so amazingly observant about humanity, forever pointing out uncomfortable truths about us, but managing to do it in a hilarious and ultimately uplifting way.

Kind of ironic that he died in a Catholic hospital. The hospital where I was born, actually.

Today the world is a lot less funny than it was yesterday. Goodbye George, and thanks.

I moved this into Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling so we can keep it going. The last thing we want to do is sensor George today. I think he would find it quite appropriate.

Here's to George! :mug: Let's celebrate his life!

Heard the news as I was driving to work this morning. What a shock. I knew he had serious heart problems, but still figured he'd be around for ahwile longer. In fact, my fiancee & I were thinking of getting tickets to see him when he came to town in October.

My father was the person who first got me interested in George. He happened to be on the Carson show one night and Dad made a point of getting me into the room to see him on TV. In the early 1970s, there was nobody funnier.

Never been a big fan. He had some pretty clever stuff, but I never saw him as a "laugh Out Loud" kind of guy. A lot of his stuff I thought was a ripoff of Lenny Bruce. Not the material, but the style. But, he was a true American Icon.

I don't think he got meaner as time went along as previously mentioned...I think he was really POd at the ignorant sheeple...;)

I remember back in 1980 he was being interviewed...one of the questions dealt with the rivalry between him and Richard Pryor...GC said yeah, some people believed there was a rivalty, but it really didn't exist...he said Richard had a heart attack then I had a heart attack...Richard set himself on fire, GC said fvckk that I'm having another heart attack...!! Great! :D:rockin:

He actually did peak about 10 or so years ago IMHO and it's just been way too cynical since then. I love what he was about though, pushing some serious boundaries and mocking just about everything that deserves it. I've seen the shows about a dozen times and felt like he was rushing a lot of his newer material and it felt way too scripted. I won't call him the best comic, but he's certainly had one of the best comedy career going. We're a man down in the good guy population for sure.

Do you think they gave him the blankets from a plane and used the beer fart seat cushion as the pillow?

Maybe his ambulance had a near miss on the way to the hospital!

Carlin single-handedly convinced me that golf was the dumbest and most idiotic game ever. He was a great comic and quite the thinker.

It saddened me to hear this news on my way to work.

I was not happy to hear that. I remember that my parents had a VCR tape of the very first episode of Saturday Night Live. I don't have a clue how they got it, but they had it. I watched his opening monologue over and over, writing it down, and I could recite it verbatim for a while.

Even yesterday, I thought of Carlin while making a blueberry-garlic-sage-mint-rosemary sauce for some lamb chops. Blue on the vine; purple on the plate. There's no blue food, man!

TL

I picked up his hard back book Napalm and Silly Putty for the trip home from NHC. It was on the bargain table at Barnes & Noble. Just after the acknowledgments page, there are some quotes.

Many native traditions held clowns and tricksters as essential to any contact with the sacred. People could not pray until they had laughed, because laughter opens and frees from rigid preconception. Humans had to have tricksters within the most sacred ceremonies lest they forget the sacred comes through upset, reversal, surprise. The trickster in most native traditions is essential to creation, to birth.
-Professor Byrd Gibbon in a letter to George Carlin

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
-Anonymous

If you can't dance you f*ck a lot of waitresses.
-Voltaire

Sometimes gum looks like a penny.
-Sally Wade

Last edited by a moderator:
Some notable quotes from the Short Takes section of George Carlin's book Napalm & Silly Putty.

If I had my choice of how to die I would like to be sitting on the crosstown bus and suddenly burst into flames.

There's something I like about the clitoris, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

When you think about it, 12:15 PM is actually 11:75 AM.

You live eighty years, and at best you get about six minutes of pure magic.

"Rivera Live" is such a good show. If only Rivera weren't on it.

I think highways should have a beer lane.

Why aren't there any really disturbing pop songs like "Tomorrow I'm Gonna F*ck Your Wife"?

Lacrosse is not a sport; lacrosse is a ******y college activity. I don't care how rough it is, any time you're running around a field, waving a stick with a little net on the end of it, you're engaged in a ******y college activity. Period.

F*ck Rational Thought.

I hope reincarnation is a fact so can come back and f*ck teenagers again.
Here's to reincarnation and teenagers George! :mug:

I read Napalm and Silly Putty by candlelight in my first house after moving out at 18. Sometimes just couldn't afford electricity. Not a happy guy at that time, but that book sure gave me a different way of looking at things. Made me laugh when little else could.
Thanks, George.

A lot of Napalm + Silly Putty is old material of his; I was watching some performance he did, maybe late '70s, early '80s, and recognized most of the bits from the book. Who knew someone so cynical would be into recycling!

Latest posts

Back