Taste like Jolly Rangers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modenacart

Reaction score
I think I am getting a green sour apple jolly ranger taste. Kind of cidery.

Malt bill

10 lbs pale

0.5 lb victory
0.5 lb biscuit
2 oz Golden 60 minutes.
London Ale yeast White Labs and a starter was made about a week before.

I chilled the wort to the fermentation temperature before I pitched.

OG
FG
1.014 (which I think is A little high)

Fermented 10 days at 62 F
4 days at 70 F

This is kind of sticky. I have a themometer problem. Three thermomenters gave three temps. One was 150 F, 140 F, 130F during first hour of mash. To be sure I step it up to 160, 150, 130 for second hour of mash.
To be sure I actually hit 150 F, I raised again to 170, 160, 150 F for one hour. I have no idea which one is correct. I did a boil test on the one that read low and it passed. I know the middle is kind of high, but I just really don't know right know which is correct.

Not sure that mash is related to flavor. I think its because the beer is young. I tasted it when I kegged it so I now have it sitting about abou 77 F and plan on leaving it like that for maybe 1 week and tasting again. I have about 8 psi of CO2 on it right now. Is this the right plan of action?

Is this what a Jolly Ranger looks like?

488422767_9daddae0cc.jpg

Sorry...couldn't help myself...

Yeah, thats pretty close, but she needs to be green.

I also forgot to add I made some gypsum and epson salt additions. My water profile is crap here.

My water profile is:

Ca Mg Na SO4 Cl HCO3
1 1 136 0 44 247

I added
4.5 grams/gallon of gypsum
0.5 grams/gallon of epson salts.

After addtions estimated ppm are

Ca Mg Na SO4 Cl HCO3
277.8 14.1 136 714.8 44 247

Is this what a Jolly Ranger looks like?

488422767_9daddae0cc.jpg

Sorry...couldn't help myself...

She doesn't look like she'd taste bad at all. Sure beats the picture I had in my mind at title reading.I was really hoping the OP was a girl so that at least the context wouldn't be sooooo........off.

The taste today is amazingly different. It smells like biscuit/bread and has a light caramel taste. Almost no green apple detected. Should I continoue holding at 77 F or should I begin to carbonate and cool to about 40 F?

It has already fermented out, its just conditioning now. It tasted pretty good today, so I think I will chill and carbonate.

Reason I put it so high was to kick the yeast back alive. It seems to have worked.

I have heard of brewers that start their fermentation cold then let it warm up.

Latest posts

Back