What is in my primary? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Stuff that looks like yeast chunks floated on top of the kraussen and appears to be settling on top of the beer now that the kraussen has fallen. I'm very confident in my sterile technique...but did this one get away? This was a 10gal batch that was split into 2 fermentors, both seem to have this phenomenon. I used a White labs California ale yeast starter (as I have done many times in the past). I took a sample of the beer and didn't notice any off smells. I couldn't tell if there was an odd taste or not, I used pilsner and wheat malts for the first time and am not familiar with the flavors. I don't think the flavors are off.

Let me know if you need more info.

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

These carboys have been holding steady at 70F +/- 2f for a week. Fermentation took off within 4 hours of pitching the starter. I'm wondering with all that quick activity some of the yeast got trapped on top of the kraussen and dried out.

I've never seen anything quite like that. My first thought was that there's a pellicle forming, but I can't tell for sure.

Honestly it looks like normal krauzen "curds" the kind you often find in the bottom of a bucket fermenter after you rack, except they're still in suspension on the top of the beer and have arrainged themselves in a neat lizard skin pattern.

I'm pretty sure that all is well...If you leave it a bit longer most of them will fall down to the bottom. Or you could carefully rack it...But I would wait. I've seen on the top of my beers in buckets before...I've always assumed the Krausen hadn't fully dropped. SO I just sealed back up the bucket and left it alone for a few more days...up to a week, then when I reopened them they had fully fallen.

The same thing happened to me using Safale 05 on a Pliny the Toddler. It did not smell off, so I racked to secondary. I wouln't worry.
I brewed a pale today and racked onto this same yeast cake. WOW. Bubbling in 1 hour with a Violent blowoff in 2 hours. My Fermentation fridge is fighting to get the temp down. Ambient in fridge is 61º. Carboy is 71º 5 hours later.

Amazing stuff that 05.

Back