29"x29" MoreBeer BIAB Bag $5.50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little update here, I made a pale ale using this bag with 14.5 lbs of grain, and got some really amazing clarity going into the fermenter after getting wort temp under 80 degrees in 30 minutes. Target OG 1.060, hit it on the dot.

14.5 lbs is no problem for the bag. I will be doing a bigger beer in a couple of weeks and plan to up grain bill to 15 or 16. Bag is holding up very well

Photo Feb 10, 10 05 44 PM.jpg

Picked up this bag last week based on this thread and used Friday for a Blue Moon clone (only 10 lb.), worked great. Love this thing.

Picked up this bag last week based on this thread and used Friday for a Blue Moon clone (only 10 lb.), worked great. Love this thing.

^ excellent. Didn't see this reply, glad to hear it's working out for most everyone who has tried it

Love this bag - fits perfectly around my 15g heavy duty kettle from morebeer. Thanks for posting re: weights - I've had it up to ~12, but good to know it will handle more (I've got a barleywine a'comin as well).

I think Ill have to swing by MoreBeer and grab one. I have been using curtain voile for my BIAB and it seems to work perfectly. This might be a better "fit" for my 11 gallon pot. Its hard to drape a whole curtain into a pot and pour grain into it haha. Just brewed today with my method using the voile and it works great. The convenience of the MB bag might be worth a few bucks though.

I am enjoying this bag. In fact I bought 2, for a total of around $15 including shipping. Can't beat that.

One tip is that I noticed those black metal clamps that folks use to hold the bag in place on the rim, well they begin to tear the bag. I now use bungee cord and it works much better.

I think Ill have to swing by MoreBeer and grab one. I have been using curtain voile for my BIAB and it seems to work perfectly. This might be a better "fit" for my 11 gallon pot. Its hard to drape a whole curtain into a pot and pour grain into it haha. Just brewed today with my method using the voile and it works great. The convenience of the MB bag might be worth a few bucks though.

Can't beat the price. You could buy and see if you like it and if not, not have to worry too much because in the end you didn't spend that much :rockin:

I am enjoying this bag. In fact I bought 2, for a total of around $15 including shipping. Can't beat that.

One tip is that I noticed those black metal clamps that folks use to hold the bag in place on the rim, well they begin to tear the bag. I now use bungee cord and it works much better.

Good tip. I switched to the bungee too, very happy with it.

Side note, MoreBeer.com shared this thread on their Facebook page today. Awesome.

Image 029.jpg

If you can add a RIMS tube with a march pump to circulate you'll get into the 90s on your efficiency. Borrowed a tube on a few batches and haven't gone back since. Went from the mid 60s and 70s to high 80s and 90s on efficiency. Have fun. Any problems with the larger bag coming unthreaded? No issues with the 24x24 but the 29x29 seems a bit less in quality

If you can add a RIMS tube with a march pump to circulate you'll get into the 90s on your efficiency. Borrowed a tube on a few batches and haven't gone back since. Went from the mid 60s and 70s to high 80s and 90s on efficiency. Have fun. Any problems with the larger bag coming unthreaded? No issues with the 24x24 but the 29x29 seems a bit less in quality

I've been dreaming of a RIMS tube for a while. Not "there" yet though, still getting my head around it and debating whether to go Auber sous vide controller or PID.

On the 29x29, no issues with mine other than some beige tinge from multiple mashes. Quality is fine :mug:

Used our beloved bag for an american red ale last night that looks like it may approach imperial territory once things are said and done :).

First time using my new Barley Crusher - set the gap to 0.030 for a finer crush than what I get at LHBS - and landed at 79% brewhouse efficiency in beersmith (87% mash efficiency at pre-boil volume)! I had been getting upper 60's for brewhouse figures prior...

I mash in a 10g Rubbermaid with the bag, sparge at 165 in my boil kettle for about 15 minutes (intermittent stirring / dunking of grain in bag), then rack concentrated wort from cooler tun into kettle (calc'd to collect full pre-boil volume)...

love that bag, especially with the better crush i'm getting now...

bbHop said:
Used our beloved bag for an american red ale last night that looks like it may approach imperial territory once things are said and done :).

First time using my new Barley Crusher - set the gap to 0.030 for a finer crush than what I get at LHBS - and landed at 79% brewhouse efficiency in beersmith (87% mash efficiency at pre-boil volume)! I had been getting upper 60's for brewhouse figures prior...

I mash in a 10g Rubbermaid with the bag, sparge at 165 in my boil kettle for about 15 minutes (intermittent stirring / dunking of grain in bag), then rack concentrated wort from cooler tun into kettle (calc'd to collect full pre-boil volume)...

love that bag, especially with the better crush i'm getting now...

Right on. Any issues with trub on the finer crush?

241 said:
Right on. Any issues with trub on the finer crush?

Not that I could tell. Racking from boil kettle looked pretty standard for the beer i was making (bit of hop matter due to 6oz of pellets). No stray floaters from the grain or elevated sludge.

I will say that the finer crush lead to a higher amount of water absorption... I had been consistently avg about 0.68 fl oz/oz of grain with the bag, and that shot all the way to 0.82 for this brew using the new mill.

Interesting. Good to know.

So today I had the bag stretched over the handles of my kettle while mashing out and the bag cinged away in those areas. Next time I won't stretch it over the handles, just before it with bungee. No worries I have another back up.

So I used the bag last night for the third time on a Summit / 2-row SMaSH (grain bill was only 8.25lb), and noticed when pulling the bag up to drain after the mash that there was a 1-inch or so hole on the side where the stitching had come undone... crap :(

I'm lucky enough to live close to the Concord showroom, and as always, David the showroom manager was super awesome about it and swapped me out for a new bag... he was pretty surprised / bummed that the bag had broke that soon. I actually ended up buying an extra one as well - thinking about some of the larger grain bills I have coming up (~15lb Hog Heaven clone in a few weeks), and that a double-bag treatment may be best.

Here's to hoping that I just happened to get a faulty one... though I can't say the stitching looks much different on the two new ones I just picked up. I'll post back with updates after the barleywine.

What's stumping me about this BIAB stuff is how you hold the bag over the kettle when draining it? Some of the custom bags I've seen have a reinforced fabric loop sewn on to the top of the bag so you can suspend the bag from an overhead pulley. That seems like a really worthwhile feature, even if it does bump the price up a bit... okay, more than a bit. Like 6x more, but, well... Seems worth it.

MagicSmoker said:
What's stumping me about this BIAB stuff is how you hold the bag over the kettle when draining it? Some of the custom bags I've seen have a reinforced fabric loop sewn on to the top of the bag so you can suspend the bag from an overhead pulley. That seems like a really worthwhile feature, even if it does bump the price up a bit... okay, more than a bit. Like 6x more, but, well... Seems worth it.

I pull the bag, squeeze it, and then hang it over an empty fermentor or bucket off a brush handle across 2 chairs. If you've no loops just put a sieve or collander in the bottom of the bucket and sit the bag on top

So I used the bag last night for the third time on a Summit / 2-row SMaSH (grain bill was only 8.25lb), and noticed when pulling the bag up to drain after the mash that there was a 1-inch or so hole on the side where the stitching had come undone... crap :(

I'm lucky enough to live close to the Concord showroom, and as always, David the showroom manager was super awesome about it and swapped me out for a new bag... he was pretty surprised / bummed that the bag had broke that soon. I actually ended up buying an extra one as well - thinking about some of the larger grain bills I have coming up (~15lb Hog Heaven clone in a few weeks), and that a double-bag treatment may be best.

Here's to hoping that I just happened to get a faulty one... though I can't say the stitching looks much different on the two new ones I just picked up. I'll post back with updates after the barleywine.

That's too bad about the ripped bag. That wasn't that big of a grain bill either. Hoping it was just a fluke.

I use a $6 BBQ grate from Walmart on top of my kettle and let the grains sit o n that and drain out as I get to a boil. By that time they're pretty well drained especially if you mash out.

I pull the bag, squeeze it, and then hang it over an empty fermentor or bucket off a brush handle across 2 chairs. If you've no loops just put a sieve or collander in the bottom of the bucket and sit the bag on top

Hmm... I suspect I should have bought a colander before I started mashing today, eh?

Hmm... I suspect I should have bought a colander before I started mashing today, eh?

I pull mine out of the mash, spin in so it squeezes a lot of he wort out. Then place it in a bucket after most of the wort has dripped out. Then i fire up my wort to start the boil, and then go back to my bag and continue to spin it tighter and tighter while squeezing it. I use pair of nitrile gloves because its pretty hot. I try and squeeze out as much wort as possible, then just dump it into the boil. Seems to work great so far. I know aother way is to use a collander and while your grains sitting in it, use a small pot lid and press the wort out of the grains.

there is a LOT of controversy on here about squeezing grains, and wether that is okay to do or not. To sum up what I have read, is, it really does not matter at all. If you think about a commercial brewer, and the pressure that is on the grain at the bottom of a mash, it far exceeds any amount of pressure you could press onto your grains in the bag. I say go for it! More wort = more beer! :ban:

I went out to my parent's house shortly after swinging by morebeer for the additional bags... and she broke out her sewing machine! I left the bags with her and she's going to reinforce the stitching (turned the bag inside-out and was going to do a larger zig-zag stitch).

Anybody do this sort of thing with any luck (i.e. notice any strengthening)?

I do smaller batches with cheese cloth that my wife has sewn into a pillow shape that I lay in the bottom of my cooler mash tun. She double reinforces the ends and my bags seem to last for dozens of brews. Mainly it's me that destroys them. Also I don't really lift them to get that last bit of wort. I just let gravity do the work. I never liked mashing in my boil kettle. I had tried that in the late 90's and would run into the same problems of tearing my grain sack.

MagicSmoker said:

I use a pulley overhead, with a hangman's noose. Just cinch it around the neck of the bag, hoist it up, and wrap the rope around a cleat on the wall (yes, I live alone!).

SFGiantsFan925 said:
there is a LOT of controversy on here about squeezing grains, and wether that is okay to do or not. To sum up what I have read, is, it really does not matter at all. If you think about a commercial brewer, and the pressure that is on the grain at the bottom of a mash, it far exceeds any amount of pressure you could press onto your grains in the bag. I say go for it! More wort = more beer! :ban:

I really think this is broken logic. In a commercial beer batch of say 900 lbs of grain, the entire weight of that grain bill would not be focused onto any single grain. It would be dispersed evenly across the mash tun. The weight of the grain on the geographic north side if a 900 lb grain bed would not be creating any pressure on the grain at the bottom of the south side of the mash tun.

The way to measure the weight the grain at the bottom of a commercial mash tun is bearing is to take a core sample and weigh it. Even with a 3" core sample (which is generous) of a 4' deep grain bed, I would suspect that the total weight would be around 25 lbs tops.

Now compare that 25lbs to the focused force that you are putting in the bag of grain while squeezing it. A lot if you dont know your own strength but think of how many times you can curl a 25 lb dumbbell. Or how much some of you gorillas can bench press. You can EASILY put way, way more pressure on a specific grain than the weight of a grain bed on a single grain. Its a small bag and crushing it with a lid or even between coffee cups (which i have read that one guy does) would yield way more pressure on the grains because it is more focused.

However, there are two other factors to consider. One, when homebrew experts are advising against squeezing grains they are talking about not putting the grains into a fruit press under a large screw which could put hundreds of pounds of pressure evenly to all grains which would physically force unwanted compounds out of the grains....which hand squeezing a BIAB bag wouldnt be able to do. And two, many, many BIAB brewers DO squeeze the bag and either don't get off flavors, don't admit it, or can't tell. So two of those options leave the brewer in the bliss of success.

So while hand squeezing the bag likely doesn't cause the off flavors caused by tannins, the logic that its because it is less than the weight the grains would be subjected to in a commercial brewery is completely inaccurate.

Well just brewed again with this yesterday, 17.5lbs of dry grain. Bag held up like a champ.

As to the squeezing the grain, this is what I do, not saying it is right or wrong, just what I do. I place the wet grain bag in a bucket I have turned into a strainer by drilling holes into it. I then place another picket on top of that like a syringe plunger. In the plunger I place a 25lb weight, it squeezes the grain and gives me a grain absorption ratio of .088 gal per pound. Works great for me...

Cheers all and enjoy brewing, don't sweat the small stuff, different strokes for different folks.

Brewed the barleywine I had been planning (16.25 lbs of grain) in the newly re-inforced bag - went swimmingly. I decided not to double-bag it and just see how the single bag did (thanks Vellum - your post inspired me) - and it was great.

Additional support definitely seemed like a bonus... I was also careful about how much hanging it did while draining the grain (didn't want to put undue stress on the seems), but was still able to get mid-70's efficiency on a big beer (1.083).

Brewed the barleywine I had been planning (16.25 lbs of grain) in the newly re-inforced bag - went swimmingly. I decided not to double-bag it and just see how the single bag did (thanks Vellum - your post inspired me) - and it was great.

Additional support definitely seemed like a bonus... I was also careful about how much hanging it did while draining the grain (didn't want to put undue stress on the seems), but was still able to get mid-70's efficiency on a big beer (1.083).

Happy to be an inspiration. Upon inspecting my bag after washing it, I found the seams to be a little puckered (I am assuming from the weight). It did just fine and the puckering may be normal but I think I'll reinforce the seams to be safe. We were shooting for 1.084 in a 6 gallon batch. I believe we hit low 80's or upper 70's in efficiency. Too lazy to punch it up and check. Really a great bag, can't wait to brew with it again.

Thanks for the helpful review, 241. I have had trouble locating a source of fine-mesh bags for BIAB that will fit my 10 gal. 16" dia. pot. The 24 x 24 bags I have won't quite fit - 24 x 2 / pi ~ 15". I originally bought those from MB for my 5 gallon pot.

I just placed an order for a couple of the 29" x 29" bags from MB.

Thanks for the helpful review, 241. I have had trouble locating a source of fine-mesh bags for BIAB that will fit my 10 gal. 16" dia. pot. The 24 x 24 bags I have won't quite fit - 24 x 2 / pi ~ 15". I originally bought those from MB for my 5 gallon pot.

I just placed an order for a couple of the 29" x 29" bags from MB.

Hope it fits!

I am a fan of Morebeer. I have had their bags blow out the side.... my first batch ever actually. They replaced it, without a problem next order... morebeer is excellent service. Also longer term use, I have two bags that have seen about 10 batches and the reason I was looking into bags at all was because mine are about to break in a few areas along the seems. I wish they had better seams because the rest of the material is still holding up well (one is definitely starting to go and I double bag my grains - suppose my squeezing is killing the bag??).

There is someone on HBT that makes bags too, and his seem to be better quality to me, but I have to find him since I am in the market atm, and I think he charged about 15 bucks to stitch them up for us, which I am willing to pay for a more durable bag.

Update: the 29" x 29" bags I ordered from Morebeer fit perfectly in my 10 gallon kettle. I haven't tried one yet, but the bags appear to be well-constructed.

BTW, the 10 gallon kettle I have is on sale for $92 on Amazon, with free shipping. It's a heavy-gauge, NSF pot with a clad bottom. Can't beat the price.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNLTCU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
After a few more brews I can see what smeck was talking about. Mine is just starting to unravel at the top seem where the drawstring ties. I will reinforce it with my own stitch as I'm not afraid to pick up a needle and thread. Really a great bag. I am used to reinforcing my purchased bags as they never seem to be meant for repeat brews. Still love the bag and would recommend it to anyone at the price. A little sewing action makes it a lifetime bag. Just sew it up while watching the game on Monday/Sunday. Cheers all

Well after stitching my bag from more beer up I saw that wilserbrew was having a triple pay combo on his setup. I just couldnt pass it up as I was looking for a pulley system for the patio. The bag arrived today. It looks very hardy with string seams. I'll be brewing with it in the next couple of weeks. My conclusion to all of this is the $5.5 bag is great and works wonderfully, it will most likely need repair from time to time. Wilserbrews bags look much nicer although I can't comment on its use yet. Hopefully this thread has been a good resource to people. I will comment one more time once I've brewed with wilserbrews bag and again should I have troubles with his bag in the future (I don't expect to have any).

My morebeer bag is holding up well. Every 4 or 5 brews I soak it in oxyclean just to tidy it up. The only thing that has happened is the draw cord got pulled into the bag on one side and it was near impossible to fish it back out. I just took out the cord completely as I don't really need it.
I spin the bag tight after removing it. I then set it in a colander over a bucket. A few squeezes and I'm done.

I bought 2 of the bags last spring, and have used one on about a half-dozen batches so far. No problems with it--the stitching appears good. I had switched to using a basket (like this) the last couple of brews, so the bag no longer endures as much physical stress. With that, the bag should last quite a while, and I have a second one for when the first one wears out.

Back