Cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
If I've rinsed my bottles well can I just sanitize them before bottling my beer? Or should I wash w soap/ozyclean before sanitizing?

If they come out clean after a good rinse & have no specs of yeast,trub etc inside then yes. Put'em on the bottle tree to dry before boxing & storage.

I rinse my bottles, but usually soak in OxyClen/TSP (HBT PBW alternative) overnight. I also was given 500 rinsed, but labeled, bottles from a friend who manages a Mellow Mushroom resturant locally. IThe OxyClean/TSP does a good job of cleaning and removing labels, although some are more stubborn than others. A quick brush, rinse and into the dishwasher makes the look new. I store in sealed boxes, sanitize and put on a drying rack when needed.

Steel wool gets labels off soaked bottles easily. If you rinse them 3-4 times right after use, I don't use Oxy, never had an infected bottle that way.

As far as cleaning beer bottles, I use a soak consisting of dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda. Soak them in warm water and the labels literally fall off in the soak.

This works awesome for beer bottles. Wine bottles on the other hand have been tricky. Ive tired a lot of different methods. Oxiclean took the labels off but left all of the resin so im kinds stuck there. I would like to develop something home made rather than go out and buy another product.

As far as cleaning beer bottles, I use a soak consisting of dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda. Soak them in warm water and the labels literally fall off in the soak.

This works awesome for beer bottles. Wine bottles on the other hand have been tricky. Ive tired a lot of different methods. Oxiclean took the labels off but left all of the resin so im kinds stuck there. I would like to develop something home made rather than go out and buy another product.

An acid rinse will take care of the residue. Vinegar or star San will do the trick.

I rinse my bottles well after emptying them and let them dry on a dishwasher rack I kept when I replaced ours. Prior to bottling day, I soak them in an OxyClean bath and rinse well. Then I use my Vinator with StarSan to sanitize prior filling and capping.

I may be over complicating the process and being too anal, it is a lot of work. But so far no problems as a result... I do really want to start kegging though because of the shear amount of time.

Ive tried the soak in vinegar/baking soda/dish soap. some of the cheaper wind labels came right off, but the glue residue still remains on some of the higher quality ones.

Recently acquired 2+cases of bottles from a fellow employee. Found that 80% had some kind of mold growing in the leftovers. I simply rinsed them with super hot water and when it comes time to use them I'll check them for .... whatever and sanitize the crap out of them.

First rinsing showed no debris left in any of them. BOTTLE BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back