I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this supposed to be funny?
I do not think so. I still can't help but chuckle at someone prancing around in a link outfit though. :D

When I was a kid my dad was the original prepper. We lived off everything that we produced which while good had its draw backs like chickens. Dad bought 100 eggs and we raised those chickens to the point of butchering them. THe stage with the eggs was fine but dang man plucking 20 chickens in one day just sucked and then doing it for 5 days in a row really sucked.

I have never owned a chicken since and still consider them foul meat :D
Yeah, the plucking is the worst. The smell from dipping them in the boiling water, wow.

After much reading and a great write up by woodland brewing I figure one pint of the slurry is good for brews coming in under 1.050 starting gravity.

Kind of cool huh reusing the yeast. I hated buying a new pouch of yeast for every batch

Yes, very cool. Yeast in packets cost too much.
I reuse yeast too, but I rarely yield more then 2 pints from a slightly smaller batch. Maybe it's because I make wine though.

I do not think so. I still can't help but chuckle at someone prancing around in a link outfit though. :D

I thought that was funny too. If it was a guy, without a violin but going through the same motions, it would be hilariously disturbing.

And the nerd in me shakes my head at the use of a Zora Tunic without the iron boots. In a forest. :smack:

Hmm, my concord wine is still at 1.070 after 12 days. I stirred it up, if it doesn't drop a bit in the next couple days I'll drop some nutrients in. It should stall out, but not until it gets down to 1.010 - 1.020.

I reuse yeast too, but I rarely yield more then 2 pints from a slightly smaller batch. Maybe it's because I make wine though.

Hmm, my concord wine is still at 1.070 after 12 days. I stirred it up, if it doesn't drop a bit in the next couple days I'll drop some nutrients in. It should stall out, but not until it gets down to 1.010 - 1.020.

Was it made from "re-used" wine yeast? You might want to re-consider using washed wine yeast. Wine yeast usually gets pretty beat up from the high alcohol content. It's not usually recomended to re-use any yeast (wine or beer yeast) that has been used to ferment anything above 1.065-1.070(ish)... If it even does work after one generation it could throw out some funky flavors. I'm sure some strains might work better than others, but I wouldn't expect much more than 2 generations at most.

Just sitting on my front porch, talking to the owls, waiting for the sun to come up. They answer me when I hoot at them, but I can't figure out what they are saying? Also got thinking that I probably need to get out more.

We fixed the driveway ourselves, sort of, it's somewhat passable. Still hoping the electric co will come back and really fix it. They had signs up. But, we couldn't wait for them, needed to get out. A bunch of old bricks and a couple buckets full of dirt(using a big tractor with a bucket on the front, not 5 gallon buckets).

I think the owl did say "Hoo, hoo, hoo, who are you?"

Look what I found today. Ain't it great? I can put it in the hydrolysis machine to get all that rust off. Think it will work? Once I get it cleaned up?

rusty.jpg

Recovered from the Titanic?

I'd be amazed if that ever moved again, but Bobbi you'd be the person to prove me wrong.

No, recovered from a collapsed shed. I'll have to go back for the 12 pack of beer sitting near it and some other goodies. The beer's gotta be at least 40 years old. Whew, I bet it would be really smelly to open one. Yuck.

Oh, look, we are on page 420 of this topic!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since I watched this movie and it is still funny as h3ll!

(Cygnus - do yours go to 11? :D )

No numbers, remember Cygnus contains a black hole (Hawkings lost a bet on this...).
So they are all infinity.

Great film.
I just thought it was stupid at first, but the years have been kind to it.
:mug:

I am going to call this bottle capper Fred. He sort of looks like a knight with a sword, eh? He will cap all different sized bottles when I'm finished with him.

My theme song. I used to have the host's suit or one very similar. 'Panhandle slim western leisure wear'. Of course the suit was pushing twenty years old when I got it. Wonder whatever happened to that thing.

You should try to find the outfit and see if it still fits. That would be fun to wear out for a beer with friends!

Was it made from "re-used" wine yeast? You might want to re-consider using washed wine yeast. Wine yeast usually gets pretty beat up from the high alcohol content. It's not usually recomended to re-use any yeast (wine or beer yeast) that has been used to ferment anything above 1.065-1.070(ish)... If it even does work after one generation it could throw out some funky flavors. I'm sure some strains might work better than others, but I wouldn't expect much more than 2 generations at most.
Actually, it's distillers yeast. I find it to be pretty tolerant of mishandling, as compared to wine or beer yeasts. I've gotten about the same from champagne yeast too though.

I've done fourth generation batches, but haven't tried to push beyond that. I didn't get any off flavors or aromas. However, I do always add yeast nutrient and energizer to my batches. One thing about distillers yeast, it will go horribly skunky if it runs short on nutrients.

Just sitting on my front porch, talking to the owls, waiting for the sun to come up. They answer me when I hoot at them, but I can't figure out what they are saying? Also got thinking that I probably need to get out more.
Uh, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewed and bottled last night.
3 hours with a couple long breaks in there.

Bottling went great.
Forgot to strain my wort into the fermenter though.
It will probably be OK though.
It was a kit with LME and DME plus Cascade.
No grains.

bobbilyn, call it the Black Knight, from the Holy Grail.
You cannot kill it!

[ame]http://youtu.be/2eMkth8FWno[/ame]

Actually, it's distillers yeast. I find it to be pretty tolerant of mishandling, as compared to wine or beer yeasts. I've gotten about the same from champagne yeast too though.

I've done fourth generation batches, but haven't tried to push beyond that. I didn't get any off flavors or aromas. However, I do always add yeast nutrient and energizer to my batches. One thing about distillers yeast, it will go horribly skunky if it runs short on nutrients.

Cool! I've always been interested in distiller's yeast. Does it have a flavor profile, or is it really clean?

Cool! I've always been interested in distiller's yeast. Does it have a flavor profile, or is it really clean?

It is very slightly fruity. The lower the temps, the less fruit though. Around 85+ it's very fruity, but also starts producing more fusels then I would like.

Oh man I was in heaven yesterday. I visited the Idaho Brewing Company and got a tour of his brewery. Guy has nine or ten 20 barrel capacity fermenters.

Yup that was very cool :rockin:

I really need to get out and do something fun like that.

Cygnus, you don't have to strain, esp. if there are no grains. And I think I will change his name to Black Knight of the Holy Grail. I think the capper is at least 50-60 years old. I know I can get it working like a champ.

I realized it's March and this month marks one year since hubby was diagnosed with cancer. He's still got 5 1/2 months left on this round of chemo, and another surgery they are postponing until after the chemo. A long road. Also marks one year since I really became eccentric. Was already starting to lose it a little after both kids left home. Then hubby got sick and was in the hospital most of the time. That's when my eccentricities really started to show their true colors. Always been described as eccentric, since I was a child. But now, I'm that weird lady who lives in the woods. I find it odd that so many people around town seem to know who I am, but I don't have a clue who they are.

Well, time to go play in my craft room. I might work on the mural. Trying to make the room look like I'm in a fancy fish bowl. Aqua blue walls and I'm painting fish and bubbles on them and foliage and rocks at the bottom. Maybe I will paint the ceiling to look like the bottom of an old sinking pirate ship. Should be nice.

But now, I'm that weird lady who lives in the woods. I find it odd that so many people around town seem to know who I am, but I don't have a clue who they are.

I suspect that they are just "I like this time at night on HBT" lurkers. :D

We don't think you are weird. You haven't started hooting at humans yet, have you? :ban::ban:

Oh man I was in heaven yesterday. I visited the Idaho Brewing Company and got a tour of his brewery. Guy has nine or ten 20 barrel capacity fermenters.

Yup that was very cool :rockin:

I love visiting breweries. Some people travel around the country to visit baseball parks, I would like to do the same with breweries.

I tell you it was cool checking out the brewery. It is a one guy operation and all they do is keg. But man all the stainless and every thing.

Not to mention it was not a tour like a real tour. One of my buddies knows the guy and he talked to us and showed us around just for the heck of it. And then we had a pint of every beer he brews. Man I was rolling drunk by the end of it :D

I suspect that they are just "I like this time at night on HBT" lurkers. :D

We don't think you are weird. You haven't started hooting at humans yet, have you? :ban::ban:

Well, I hooted at my best friend last time I saw her, looking hot. One of my best friends, I guess, actually. But Laura is my best, best friend. She gets me. She also gets out a lot and keeps other regular friends informed about what's going on with me. Have 4 best friends, maybe 5 if you count my sister, Angela. But with Angela and I, it's a love, hate thing. She says when I die she is going to dig up my entire yard and pull all the floorboards out of my house. Knows how I like to hide stuff. She was staying with me one time and decided to borrow a pair of shoes, was surprised to find 2K hidden inside the one shoe. Oh, that's where I put it!!!

Lurkers should pull up a chair and say hello. No one in this topic bites.

bobbilynn you are not eccentric, or that crazy lady.
The world needs more of your resourcefulness.
We all pray for your strength and for your husband to return strong.

Thinking of that, a selfish turn that might inspire others.
It's about the strength of relationships and saving hopeless stuff.
Copied from my gear forums, this is what we did:

Peavey Mark III Restoration

Was talking with and old friend and I joked I don't post about 80% of what I do
for amp work because most simply wouldn't give a shat in a shredder forum.
Radio restorations, and Cygnus builds (which might pop up in the classifieds), etc.
Well here's something I can only take a little credit for but it's a cool story.

In my never ending quest to get a bass that actually fit my hands (long story), I decided to sell my 5 string two octave Dean Edge to a guy at work that wants to take up the bass.
I'll be shopping for a jazz bass to fulfill my own needs.

I reminded him that although that's all the bass guitar he'll ever need for quite some time, he will be spending most of his money on the amp and speaker.
I advise against combos, especially for bass use.

So he asked the obvious: "Don't you build amps"?
Well....yeah, but by the time I'm done it would easily cost way over $1,000 and would weigh a ton.
SS is the way to go here.
Told him something would turn up on CL and I'd keep an eye out.
Again, advising that even if a decent head came up, the cab would still be a challenge.

So about 5 minutes later I saw a CL ad for a Peavey Mark III. Good.
Then scrolled a bit and saw a Kustom 1x15.
Same phone #, and a number I recognized.
Called the guy, we laughed and talked BS and I finally said that head is in TERRIBLE shape.
I'd give him sum X.
He didn't want to budge insisting it sounded great.
So I tacked another direction and got a free gig bag and strap out of the deal for the coworker.

Here's the awful pic, lawd only know what they were thinking, or smoking...
before1w.jpg

Wife and I worked on it and I thought for sure it was going to be a strip-and recover job.
She'd taken an interest in trying a Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray.
I was doubtful, but she's the cab queen, so naturally we gave it a shot (or 12).

Man, it came out great and seems plenty tough.

After shots:

after1n.jpg

The Kustom cab was not in bad shape.
Speaker is good and does not rattle (important...LOL)

after2w.jpg

So hat's off to Mrs. Cygnus once again for a great job.

I'm sure my friend will be stunned when he sees it and plays it.
I wanted to keep it for myself, but still do my bass work direct.

Well, I hooted at my best friend last time I saw her, looking hot. One of my best friends, I guess, actually. But Laura is my best, best friend. She gets me. She also gets out a lot and keeps other regular friends informed about what's going on with me. Have 4 best friends, maybe 5 if you count my sister, Angela. But with Angela and I, it's a love, hate thing. She says when I die she is going to dig up my entire yard and pull all the floorboards out of my house. Knows how I like to hide stuff. She was staying with me one time and decided to borrow a pair of shoes, was surprised to find 2K hidden inside the one shoe. Oh, that's where I put it!!!

Lurkers should pull up a chair and say hello. No one in this topic bites.
Well, oh wait. This is the wrong forum for that discussion.

Busy weekend.

Finished Corona Mill, Added windscreen and heat shield to SQ14 (BK making a cameo appearance), and built the water filter. Now that I have the heat shield, I'm going to get a sight glass/temperature combo and bulkhead/valve this week to add to the BK from Brewhardware.

Here are some pics

Corona Mill

2013-03-03_16-05-35_344-58898.jpg

2013-03-03_16-06-10_792-58899.jpg

Burner Mods

2013-03-03_16-07-32_132-58895.jpg

2013-03-03_16-08-57_267-58896.jpg

Water Filter

2013-03-03_16-04-47_593-58897.jpg

Back