Swamp cooler with rubbermade cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
I have one sitting around I want to use to keep the temp down during fermentation. How likely is it that the plug will pop open causing the entire thing to drain?

Any ideas on how to prevent this? I wanted to use PVC glue on it but the plastic valve looks really thin

Because having water in there for a day & for a couple weeks are two different things.

Because having water in there for a day & for a couple weeks are two different things.

If you say so. They are designed to hold liquid, and you are putting liquid in there. If it doesn't leak after a day it shouldn't leak after a week, either. The only thing I'd worry about is accidentally knocking the plug off if it doesn't attach securely.

No worries...I use Ice Cube coolers for mine and have had water in them for 30+ days without issues. Do make sure to give it a thorough cleaning with something anti-bacterial from time to time. I did get some mold in one of mine this summer. No issues but something to watch for.

Back