WAY too much Fermcap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
I know that people regularly post various "did I ruin my beer?" threads here. This is sort of another one, but I suspect it is a little different than most. When I was brewing last night, the lid fell off my fermcap bottle and about 1/2 the bottle went in the wort. Has anyone done anything like this, and how did it turn out?

The same thing happened to me, along with the eye dropper. Beer turned out fine, as I imagine all of the silicone stuff just sinks to the bottom with the trub.

This happened to me last night.. any updates on safety and taste imparted by adding almost a full bottle to a five galling carboy? I wish they would make the droplets work better, maybe then I wouldn't have squeezed so hard.

Wow, thx for that article RCCOLA

Looks like the federal limit is 10ppm regarding dimethylpolysiloxane

2 drops of fermcap would yeild close to 10ppm

....*tosses fermcap-s in garbage*

This happened to me last night.. any updates on safety and taste imparted by adding almost a full bottle to a five galling carboy? I wish they would make the droplets work better, maybe then I wouldn't have squeezed so hard.

dimethylpolysiloxane over 10ppm (in your case i would imagine it close to 100-150ppm) is toxic and can harm your kidneys.

I would toss that batch.

2 drops of fermcap-s to what volume will yield 10 PPM? To just say 2 drops is misleading. The health hazard claims are totally unsupported by testing it evidence.

On the good side, fermcap is completely metabolized by the yeast. I believe throwing out the entire batch may be alarmist and overkill. However, this is only my opinion, and what I would likely do. Gather ALL of the facts prior to making your final decision.

Latest posts

Back