Hops that Fade Fastest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhimstedt

Reaction score
OK, I can guess based on storageability info when i buy hops, but has anyone here had experience with specific varieties that seem to hold longer or ones that seem to fade particularly fast?

A friend was recently commenting on feeling like Amarillo faded super fast and wasn't using it as much for that reason.

jhimstedt said:
OK, I can guess based on storageability info when i buy hops, but has anyone here had experience with specific varieties that seem to hold longer or ones that seem to fade particularly fast?

A friend was recently commenting on feeling like Amarillo faded super fast and wasn't using it as much for that reason.

I have found that if the hops are stored properly they last a long time meaning vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.

Once used though I find the big aroma citrus hops fade the fastest

Serebrianka faded the fastest in my experience. Lost all bitterness within a month or so (in a beer). I hear they have a short shelf life as well.

Certain hops have different storage life,some can get better with time,ive found many ive used havent seemed to have the ibu's they were intended to have,so i usually use extra.

Back