Beers that pair with hot sauces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
For instance my two favorite hot sauces are
1. Tabasco Chipotle for all things south of the border (and its awesome smokey flavor)
and
2, Ocean Deck Rasta Sauce (Hot Hot) for everything else, which has this amazing blend of flavor and just a little over the top heat.
Rasta ingredients.
Peppers, Vinegar, Salt, Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Celery Salt, Mustard, Bay Leaves, Allspice, Ginger, Mace, Cardamom.

Edit. I should say I heat my hot sauce with food. Drained about 3oz of the Rasta Hot Hot since Wednesday.

I've seen a lot of recommendations to drink IPAs/IIPAs with spicy food so you could try that. I don't generally put much hot sauce on my food, but a homebrewed IPA with spicy tacos was great.

Otherwise I've also enjoyed the other end on occasion, pairing a malty beer with spicy food. I had a scotch ale with a burger called the "Fire Barrel Burger" at New Holland Brewing last weekend and that was also delicious.

I prefer malty and/or sweeter with spicy foods. I don't like spicy for the shear heat of it, I actually like the flavor. To me an IPA brings out the spice but not the flavor in spicy food.

And I do agree with you on that chipotle tabasco. That stuff is amazing, I put it on just about everything.

I like (I)IPAs with spicy foods.

But that might be only because I really like IPAs and I really like spicy foods.

Tried a few American IPAs and I just don't like the combo with the hot sauces. Going to try and brew up some English styles to see if the more malt forward styles blend better for me.

Not a fan of IPAs with hot food. I prefer IPAs and IIPAs by themselves. Stouts and light beers are more for food IMO.

I'd go with a lighter, maltier beer with hot food personally.

I swear by Tapatio hot sauce. I put it on a lot of things. IMHO, a light domestic beer is my pairing of choice with spicy food. I'll take Coors Light over an IPA to wash down some hot wings or Mexican food. I do think pizza and IPA go well together. I also think stouts and steak go well together. But for spicy food, I'll take a Coors Light or three.

Back