Is the taste the same other than the color...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Yesterday I quickly decided that I was going to brew another stout this weekend.

So I went to the local homebrew shoppe which is more of a wine shoppe to get my lb of roasted and lb of chocolate. (note: this place is pretty much good for the quick fix....not a enough selection and pricey - $3 per lb)

The only roasted they have is @ 300L and I would have liked to use around 500-600 Lovibond.

My question is this, how much difference will there be as for flavour? I know the color won't be the same...not that big of deal to me as taste.

I know with Crystal Malts it does make a difference but wasn't sure with Roasted Barley.

Help

I think I like the lower roasted barley better anyway. I say try it and find out.

You said you liked the lower roasted better, did you find that it still had that great "roasted flavour" over the 500-600L roast. I'm using one lb along with a lb of chocolate in my stout. As you can see, I like it strong hence the concern. I'm more worried about losing some of the roasted flavour than the color.

Is it just a mellower roasted flavour vs the darker roast?

Latest posts

Back