Do I need to use the lid from the freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighandsray

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me out here. I recently purchased a used keezer. The lid has holes drilled for two triple draft towers. Inside the lid was a small piece of 5/8" plywood for support but was not adequate. The lid is in rough shape and I would like to scrap it. I think I am going to build a collar. So can I scrap the lid that came with it all together and make one out of wood with insulation and a vapor barrier? Or is there some mysterious function of the lid other than being just a lid?

IMO absolutely you can make your own lid for the keezer...might be best to try and reuse the hinges for simplicity. While insulation is a good idea, in real life i imagine it is not all that critical as cold "sinks". A good seal w/ weatherstripping is probably just as important.

I don't see why you couldn't make your own lid. I bet if you sandwiched some sheet or foam insulation between a couple pieces of decent plywood and you sealed the border with doorway weatherstripping, you'd have a perfectly respectable lid.

I would use aluminum studs with 1" or 2" rigid insulation. Better to have a lighter top.

Back