Wierd Idea..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant wait to find out what the sample is like. Looks like its going to be a about an abv of 5%.. Nice..

Initial batch is now cold-crashing in my cold room.

Disappointment on the second batch - nothing major, just a setback...I've had a bad cold for a couple days now, and too this point, didn't realize how much I depend on my nose when malting. I think I left he lentils too long this go round, and they soured - I detect a distinct 3-bean-salad note when I munch a few.

I'm drying/kilning today as planned, the sour taste also might be attributable to not having olfactory function.

I just gotta hang out in front of the oven, 'cuz there is no way I'd smell them if they started burning. I'm all for roast and dark malts, but not so much for oven fires!

I asked my GF is she'd be willing to come over and act as my nose she told me she'd rather me try this one on my own. If there's an oven fire, she said that she'd come over - to check out the firefighters!

So going for pure lentil batch this time..?

Curious how "burnt" the second malting batch was..? Maybe throw it in to a batch too see if you get a "darker" beer.

Also if the all lentil batch works, see if it works with oatmeal..

Curious any sampling yet..?

Actually, this was just the lentil malt itself that seems sour, I'm drying it right now. Nothing's burned yet - I'm just watching the oven like a hawk because I wouldn't smell burning until it was WAY too late to salvage anything.

Well, second batch may be a write-off. As I feared, I let the lentils grow too long, under too damp of conditions - my nose is still a little plugged, and I'm thankful for it, because the odour (not aroma, not scent, not even smell, the ODOUR) of this batch in the oven was sauerkraut-meets-refried-beans. I like these two things on their own, not combined, and not as a brewing adjunct.

Back on the horse, though - I just got back from the bulk shop with another pound, and it'll be soaking soon.

-EDIT: I did keep the lentil malt, on the hope that kilning drove off the smell and presumed taste. I'm going to let it rest and air out a couple days yet...I have got off smells from barley malt that cleared in kilning and airing...but nothing like this. Time will tell.

Original brew is starting to drop clear. Needs another few days, cold, probably, but it is looking quite nice, the colour of a Marzen, maybe.

Yeah...I thought that maybe, too...it might be worth seeing if it changes pH of a mash...thing is, sauermalz tastes decent. I haven't worked up the guts to nibble this yet. The oven smell was a fair bit less pleasant than saurmalz when it's drying.

Once my nose/palate are all the way back to normal, and I'm feeling crazy, I'm going to chew some and see if its worth brewing with.

So, after the bad news, some good news - the cold crash/gelatin has worked, and the beer's dropped clear! Bottling Friday or Saturday.

The colour is considerably lighter than it looked pre-crash. Tending towards true amber, with a reddish undertone.

Lentilmalz mark III starts this weekend!

Yup, me too. I've got the lentils for batch #3 soaking - total contribution and conversion testing are on the slate.

Bottling the first batch of beer on Monday - taste-test result by St Patty's day!

Pre-bottling, I estimate the colour to be between 6-8L. (I made colour swatches, and held them up against the fermenter...) Still got a bit of orange to it!

Priming syrup just went on the stove-top.

Getting to one week.. one more to go.. then it could be ready..

Wondering how the second batch is coming along

been 5 days... try it now, it will be green bean beer

Yup. I guess I could drink it with a bowl of mushroom soup, and perhaps sprinkle fried onions in the glass...!*

It appears to be bottle carbing nicely. Though I'm tempted, I don't try my beers before 16 days. Why 16? Because when I used to try drink 'em as fast as possible after priming, I noticed the suck went away around day 16, no earlier.

Round three lentilmalz is ready to brew/play with. I was on the road for a fair chunk of the last week, which is why I've been slow to update.

Cheers!

*Do people outside of Minnesota, North Dakota, Manitoba and Saskatchewan make green been casserole/hotdish? Is this a totally upper-midwestered-Cdn-prairies phenomenon? My foodie buddies even made a high-end version, with a buttery bechamel, morel mushrooms, tender fresh beans, and carmelized sweet onions once...but I digress.

whole famn damily is from Ohio and green bean casserole was a regular side dish at Thanksgiving when I was growing up

the BigHair hates onions, or we would have it

*Do people outside of Minnesota, North Dakota, Manitoba and Saskatchewan make green been casserole/hotdish? Is this a totally upper-midwestered-Cdn-prairies phenomenon? My foodie buddies even made a high-end version, with a buttery bechamel, morel mushrooms, tender fresh beans, and carmelized sweet onions once...but I digress.

Why yes, my wife does.. Of course the reciepe is from her aunt.....

Who lives in Williston, ND :p

Do an experiment with just lentils and a little 2 row(for conversion). Like a pound and a pound. Do your process, take a gravity reading, see if you got any sugars. If you did, go crazy and brew some weird lentil beer.

This reminds me of a post I saw here one day.

You needed to complete the statement: You Know You are a Homebrewer When ... when you walk down the grocery store aisle and say "I could ferment that!"

Mark

Do an experiment with just lentils and a little 2 row(for conversion). Like a pound and a pound. Do your process, take a gravity reading, see if you got any sugars. If you did, go crazy and brew some weird lentil beer.

Funny you should mention that...

If you had read the whole thread you would realize Boreal had already done that..

It was so far a success and we do have beer as it fermented and does contain alcohol. That said, it is in bottles now and has not been tasted yet.

Boreal has malted a second batch of lentils and was going to try an all lentil beer soon. Unfortunately it looks as if he has been busy and hasnt been able to post in a week or so.

Nope.. have tried to PM and nothing.. guess he has been busy.. I hope its nothing major.

True..

I did find 3 articles referencing turning beans into alcohol but they only mentioned it, didn't say how to do it. :confused:

Another blog I found specifically mentioned Lentil beer.. stops after he sprouts the lentils.. and he never finished the blog.. :mad:

Also just found a OLD BB posting from 1998 where someone mentioned it and again no reply.

I AM GOING to HAVE TO TRY this.. just to see if it can be done or not. And to document its triumph or failure.

Hmmmm....after the Lentils sprout??? Sounds like a Moonshiners episode I watched. :cross:

I did it once. I'm going to revisit it with black beans. I had some left over supplies so I was just playing a bit. I left them soaking for 24 hrs until they sprouted and stared to "ferment". Boiled for 60 minutes just like a barley mash and strained. Ate the beans and primaries the wort. Meh, wasn't that great but if the barley market ever went in the drink it's worth experimenting. I did find reference to this during the ww2 era.

I think my thread was "blown bean beer" it's been awhile though

What we know from Boreal is that you have to be careful with the sprouting (Malting) time on the lentils, the process has to be stopped at the right time or they will go sour.

I don't think this will work with regular legumes, as they have too much starch and protein. Lentils are smaller and more grain like.

We are in bottles now, and should be conditioned enough to drink. Hopefully Boreal will be back with the news soon. Otherwise I am starting to think conspiracy theory on having this ever fully done and documented.

Getting concerned about Boreal.. hasn't been on the forum AT ALL, and no return of emails.

Always seemed a cordial guy, so heres for hoping he is OK and just busy. Hate to think the beer killed him or something

(although that would explain why this experiment never seems to be documented to its completion anywhere online.)

I'm thinking that.. I have emailed and PM'd etc.. no response.

Maybe lentil beer is what aliens drink and the men in bl......

I really want to follow Boreals lead.. and do this.

But concerned it could lead to death or alien abduction..

Will be getting so lintels soon and will malt them and see what happens.

Back