Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks psehorne for your suggestions and quick reply. Sounds like I need to get Beersmith. Your use of the filter screen is clever. Also I'm glad your getting full carboys/kegs. I am working hard to get what I have and to get 8 gallons out of a 10 gallon system is a bummer. After all, It's beeeeer.

Anybody else with suggestions, comments. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I made the move and ordered a 50L Braumeister after deciding to move the brewery indoors. The good news: I ordered on 10/25 and FedEx delivered on 11/20 less than 4 weeks. The bad news: The box was in good shape, no visible damage to the box. When I unpacked it, the lower rear handle is pushed in, denting the tank at both welds and the handle weld is broke on one side. Talked to Thorsten, he was helpful and I am sending pictures. But a heads up- Thorsten said it's better to unpack in front of FedEx no matter if the box is in good shape in order to help him/Speidel to make a shipping claim. I'll follow up on how this is resolved.

Update: Thorsten (morebeer4u) and Ralf (Speidel) have been very responsive. Ralf said he would ship a new 50L tank and I agreed to swap the equipment. If it shows up as promised, I'm a happy camper....

Hi All,

Has anyone confirmed this does work safely with a step up transformer? I am an apartment dweller in LA and, as far as I can tell, will never really be able to live somewhere that I can afford a house. So I need this thing. Even extract is too wonky on a gas apartment stove. But I doubt my current or future building managers will dig the idea of me screwing with 240 outlets and asking probing questions about the load my breakers can handle.

It would be great if there were an American equivalent. I need single vessel electric AG brewing. Sorry if this has been confirmed already. The 1800+ replies got hard to pick through.

Hi All,

Has anyone confirmed this does work safely with a step up transformer? I am an apartment dweller in LA and, as far as I can tell, will never really be able to live somewhere that I can afford a house. So I need this thing. Even extract is too wonky on a gas apartment stove. But I doubt my current or future building managers will dig the idea of me screwing with 240 outlets and asking probing questions about the load my breakers can handle.

It would be great if there were an American equivalent. I need single vessel electric AG brewing. Sorry if this has been confirmed already. The 1800+ replies got hard to pick through.

If you search, there have been a few posts regarding "converters" (or as you properly stated "step-up transformer"). This will work, but be sure the converter/transformer is rated for continuous duty and/or rated for electric heater loads. The 20L model is rated 2023Watt (w/pump load). The 50L model is rated 3246Watt (w/2pump loads) and 230V. The wattage is the same on both sides of the transformer (not counting losses) so the Current = Wattage/Voltage. Since you are using this on a single phase residential circuit and the Braumeister is pretty much a resistive load, you don't have to get into complex calculations. The pump is rated 50/60Hz so that will also work fine on US system.

Using nominal voltage numbers:
20L -> 2023W/120V = 16.8Amps
-> 2023W/240V = 8.4Amps
The electrical theory is that if you double the voltage, the current divides in half while the power (watts) remains constant.

50L -> 3246Watt/120V = 27Amps
-> 3246Watt/240V = 13.5Amps

Be sure to measure your actual voltage and plug that actual voltage number into the calculation so you can size the wiring and breaker appropriately for the current. The wiring and breaker need to be sized for the current at 120Volts if you are plugging the transformer into a 120Volt outlet.

The key is to get a converter/transformer rated over the Wattage needed, make sure it's rated for this type of load, and properly size the wire and breaker - Don't just plug it in and assume the wire is sized correctly.

If you search the posts, the one some folks have successfully used is:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ITZTNO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Prost!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bierdude! So, if I understand this correctly, even with a 5000 Watt step up transformer I would still need a breaker that can handle over 15A to run the 20L on a residential 120V outlet. From the reading I have done in this, quite helpful, thread, I am going to go ahead and guess that most all of my breakers are 15A. Perhaps there is another solution to this I am missing?

Thanks bierdude! So, if I understand this correctly, even with a 5000 Watt step up transformer I would still need a breaker that can handle over 15A to run the 20L on a residential 120V outlet. From the reading I have done in this, quite helpful, thread, I am going to go ahead and guess that most all of my breakers are 15A. Perhaps there is another solution to this I am missing?

not meant to be critical - don't guess. Not knowing how old your apartment is or where you live -- many builders run circuits with #14 wire on 15 amp breakers - this can be installed to code, but is only rated for 15 amps. If you are in an old home with knob and tube wiring, again probably rated only 15 amps. Look at the breakers in your electrical panel. You would need to put the 20L on a 20 amp circuit (breaker should say 20 amp on it and wire should be #12 (it's usually marked on the casing of the wire) or run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a 20 amp receptacle.

I plugged in my Braumeister and the screen just flashes! There's no information on the screen, it just blinks green. Whats wrong?! I have had more then 30 batches through it and it has worked great!

PLEASE HELP!

psehorne said:
Check for water in the electronics.

Well, here's an update. I searched the web and found some Aussie home brewers with the same issue. They suggested that I check and clean the temp sensor connection, it's a small three prong connector on the bottom that screws in. I unscrewed it, cleaned, then reinstalled tightly... Sure enough, I was brewing!

Well, here's an update. I searched the web and found some Aussie home brewers with the same issue. They suggested that I check and clean the temp sensor connection, it's a small three prong connector on the bottom that screws in. I unscrewed it, cleaned, then reinstalled tightly... Sure enough, I was brewing!

Interesting.... I'll have to remember that.

Hello all BM owners & forum members:

I have to agree with an early post, dating back the sub-100 page history of this forum, in which the member (sorry can't remember the name) says it's one of his all-time favourites. It truly reads like a thilling novel, keeping you forever hooked.

I am still reading page 85, started from number 1, without missing a single post, and plan to continue till the end. By then, I hope I will have received my BM 50L, in the town of Tarifa, the southermost town of peninsular Spain, overlooking the Moroccan coast.

Just wanted to let you all know that I am here lurking and hope to be able to contribute experiences (probably not before I have asked many questions!).

So thank you all for such a good source of knowledge and BM-specific information.

Pere Carrizo
Tomatito Bar & Restaurant, Tarifa, Spain

2012-11-17-593.jpg

I have tuned my BeerSmith profile for the Braumeister 20L over a half dozen brews now. Will share it with the group in the pic attached.

NOTES:
  • Batch Volume: 19.5 liter is how much I put in a 5 gal carboy keg, leaving no head space. Aerate thoroughly while the carboy has head space remaining; i.e., when it is about 3/4 full. I also use a venturi when moving wort from the kettle to the carboy.
  • Lauter Tun Headspace: This does apply to the Braumeister because it acts as both a mash tun and a lauter. However, in my configuration I have accounted for this in the Loss to Trub and Chiller field.
  • Loss to Trub and Chiller: .600 liter is a little optimistic. I can get there by tilting the kettle and using one of the fine malt filters in front of the port that feeds the spigot.
  • Fermentor Loss: is high because I use a blow off hose and lose about 1.5 liter during the blow off (alternative is to put less wort in the carboy and not use a blow off hose), and another ~1 liter is lost in trub/sediment left in the carboy. It might be better to use a smaller batch volume and leave head space in the carboy. This would have the benefit of allowing a higher gravity (because the wort would be less diluted) and less waste. I may change my process to accomplish this. Either way will only end up with about 17 liter of beer. Another alternative would be to use a 6.5 gal carboy, with the advantage of more head space without reducing the volume of wort put into the carboy and end up with a full 5 gal of beer.
  • Starter: My batch volumes assumes no starter will be added to the wort. Instead I create the starter after brewing using two to three liters (whatever BeerSmith recommends) of the wort and pitch the following day. Yesterday for the first time I used two packages of Safale US-05 with 7.8 ounces of water; so this 'starter' was added to the wort and accommodated in BeerSmith on the Vols page by setting the Starter Size to .23L and checking the 'Add starter to bottling vol' box.

BeerSmith profile for BrauMeister 20L .jpg

I got rid off beersmith2, too complicated and too much clutter. I did all the calcs into a spreadsheet:
24L brewlength
no adjustments needed for evaporation, dead space etc
mash efficiency 76%
mash with 26L, sparge with 6L

With above I consistently get 85-87% mash efficiency and 24L into the FV.

Pere, is Tomatito a brewpub? Are you going to use 50L BM to brew small scale beer in it?

Very nice.

Pere, is Tomatito a brewpub? Are you going to use 50L BM to brew small scale beer in it?

Very nice.

Hi DeGarre

It's a very small bar-restaurant. If & when I get a proper and consistent brew, I will try to sell it bottled in the bar as a start. Eventually I'd like to have a tap parallel to our usual commercial brand (can't afford to have a problem and end up with no tap!)

Hola desde Benidorm tomatito. Hello from Benidorm tomatio. Good to know there is more spanish users aroud.

Hola!

Nice to hear as well. It looks like it's selling pretty well in Spain. The class they gave in Barcelona to use the BM was fully booked.

Regards
Pere

Update: Thorsten (morebeer4u) and Ralf (Speidel) have been very responsive. Ralf said he would ship a new 50L tank and I agreed to swap the equipment. If it shows up as promised, I'm a happy camper....

Just received a replacement 50L tank in perfect condition. I'm totally satisfied. I can't say enough about the support provided by both Thorsten and Ralf. Thorsten is the only guy I would purchase a Braumeister from. The level of customer support they provided is over and above. Ralf even sent a tube of Locktite and emailed some notes to swap the pumps, etc.

has anyone had this problem, i was just cleaning up after another easy brew day (rookbier/rauchbier) and poking around the bottom of my 20L, and around the nut where the central stem is bolted in place there was quite a bit of heavily caramelized goop, it almost looked like some sort of glue or sealer, except that it came off fairly easily with a hot wash cloth. it was tough to get anything onto the nut since i don't have a socket wrench handy, but managed to get a crescent wrench on there for a few fractions of a turn at a time, and it was pretty loose. not finger-loose, but loose enough. i tightened it. i hope it leaks no more

I did a brew last week after work, it was almost 2 in the morning and I had 40 minutes to my next hop addition. I set an alarm on my phone and laid down for just a "minute". I woke up at 3 with one of those O sh** how long have I been asleep and looked at the clock 3 am. I ran out to the garage and my BM was beeping away and down to 89. I went ahead and tossed in the last two hop additions and went to sleep. In the morning I transferred the wort to a 30L speidel fermenter tossed an empty airlock on to keep dust out and let air in while it cooled. I pitched when I got home from work at 6pm with the wyyeast slap pack I had activated the night before, it was nice and swollen. That was Wednesday and it is happily bubbling away I popped off the airlock for a second just now and everything looks great no noticeable infection. We'll see how funky it tastes from the crazy hoping.

hey speidel users, at least 20L users, the 50 and 200 are a bit overkill for this, sous vide cooking time! keep that braumeister busy while your winter lagers are fermenting, use it as a cooking water bath. i have done this about 6 times now. for only a few smaller pieces of meat i don't use the malt tube; fill with water above the heating element, get it up to the set temp (remember to bleed the air out of the pump), put in the bottom disc, arrange the meat (vacuum sealed in plastic) on the disc and put on the top disc to hold it in place. for normal sv cooking temps 50-65 range it doesn't matter if the plastic touches the heater a bit, it won't melt. run the pump, put on the lid, there you go. for larger amounts, like the 7 very large duck breasts i cooked for christmas dinner, use the malt tube and recirculate through it like for a mash. it works great!!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/show-us-your-sous-vide-cooker-343738/index5.html#post4719041

Check out this funny movie. German homebrewers brewing the old fashioned style in their garden 500 litre:

Just wondering if anybody else has encountered the following:

I was doing a brew last week and i noticed that through the most of the time I had the unit in operation I would get very slight electric shocks from it any time i touched it. Not exactly the nicest thing you expect from the braumeister. I completed the brew without problem but after I finished i was in a hurry to clean up etc so did not get time to look over the unit properly.

It appears to me that something might not be earthed properly or perhaps something got wet. Underneath all looks to be in order and nothing loose etc.

Has anybody every seen this or have any thoughts as to what it might be?

Just wondering if anybody else has encountered the following:

I was doing a brew last week and i noticed that through the most of the time I had the unit in operation I would get very slight electric shocks from it any time i touched it. Not exactly the nicest thing you expect from the braumeister. I completed the brew without problem but after I finished i was in a hurry to clean up etc so did not get time to look over the unit properly.

It appears to me that something might not be earthed properly or perhaps something got wet. Underneath all looks to be in order and nothing loose etc.

Has anybody every seen this or have any thoughts as to what it might be?

never had it. sounds scary! if i were you i wouldn't brew while bathing

rvklein said:
A 4 BBL brewery for 37 grand is cheap!

It's not a brewery. It's a machine to produce wort. It's very expensive compared to gas. And if you wanted to double batch with the braumeister compared to a 3 vessel system it would double your day. I love my 50 braumeister but I was going to start a nano I wouldn't get the 500

.....I was doing a brew last week and i noticed that through the most of the time I had the unit in operation I would get very slight electric shocks from it any time i touched it. Not exactly the nicest thing you expect from the braumeister. I completed the brew without problem but after I finished i was in a hurry to clean up etc so did not get time to look over the unit properly....

Could it just be "static"?

We get electrostatic discharge from many items when outside temperature and indoor humidity both drop low during our cold winters.

Hopefully a breaker would trip if it were an electrical problem, but a GFCI would be a good addition for piece of mind:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P8COIS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H5R3OE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

WOW! North America is the best place to need this item - pricewise (though this is only a 120v version). :eek:

Those shocks happen to me me once, I didn´t screw the pump back tigth after I cleaned it and it was leaking from underneath, now I make sure everything is tigth before brew day.

It's not a brewery. It's a machine to produce wort. It's very expensive compared to gas. And if you wanted to double batch with the braumeister compared to a 3 vessel system it would double your day. I love my 50 braumeister but I was going to start a nano I wouldn't get the 500

there's user danibier on here who has posted about using the 200L for a brewpub. maybe they can comment. i always wonder; at home i don't mind relatively low efficiency and leaving behind stray grain bits in the kettle, which i kind of accept as inherent for 'normal' use of the speidel system, but in a professional brewery does that start to get expensive? or do you have to set up a HLT for sparge water and rig up some way to vourlauff (spelling?) just wondering

I am using 48 kg of malt and 4 kg sugar, this results in about 320 l of wort. Yes, if you use also sugar you can easily brew more than 300 l with the BM 200. I then get a brewhouse efficiency or around 70 %, which is absolutely acceptable. Even if it was 60 % the price of the malt does not really matter. The expensive stuff is usually the work and the machinery. I would not recommend doing 2 batches with the BM 200 per day. It really results in very long days ! The BM 200 might not be the prefect solution but one can brew good beer and really earn money. It think if I had a lot of space I would have bought a different system but there is just no other device on the market that is so compact. And the quality is good. I just brewed the 71th batch. No problems so far.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/danidrinks-Mikrobrauerei-Daniel-Michel/176739955731354

I love my Braumeister but i am tired of things breaking! :-(

I broke yet another pump impeller even though I am very careful to not let grain in a piece will slip by.

Not only that but I have been using a step up down converter (5000 watt) and now it is blowing 30 amp fuses every time i try to heat up the water.

I am going to try to have a cable made that will fit my 250v receptacle in the basement. Hopefully that works.

Also hoping more beer can send me a replacement impeller since it has been longer than a year.

Anyone else breaking impellers?

How are you breaking your impellers? can you post a pic of the broken one?

Here is the thread i made when the first one broke: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/braumeister-pump-replacement-more-power-317778/

There are pictures in there. The new pump is different but basically the same thing happened. A peice of grain that i didn't even see gets sucked under the impeller and turns it sideways.

the pump starts making a grinding noise and when i pull it apart one of the fins has a gouge on it.

Update on using a voltage converter for this system. Result: failure.

I have been using a 5000 watt up down converter for my 20l for about a year. It started smelling like solder and blowing fuses a few months ago and now blows a fuse within 20 minutes of trying to heat up the water.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of using one, save your money and make a 220 cord instead. The voltage converters are not meant for heating appliances and they will burn out like mine.

Any electricians want to give me a hand with my power cord splice? I have a 10–30p dryer end, the green ground should be the bent prong at the top right? And the hots, do they matter which side they go on?

I am using the yellow green from the cut braumeister cord for ground on the other side. And I am using 10guage on one end and splicing to the 16guage German cord

ForumRunner_20130109_121318.jpg

Back