what should i do ...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
howdy all. in a bit of a pickle. i planned on making an ipa with 12# esb malt, 2# vienna, .5# carapils, 1 oz. nugget, 1 oz zythos and 2 oz pacific gem. i forgot to add crystal malt of any sort to my order. i'm a little worried if i forge ahead with this it won't have enough of a malty backbone to stand up to the hops.

ardonthorn5 said:
howdy all. in a bit of a pickle. i planned on making an ipa with 12# esb malt, 2# vienna, .5# carapils, 1 oz. nugget, 1 oz zythos and 2 oz pacific gem. i forgot to add crystal malt of any sort to my order. i'm a little worried if i forge ahead with this it won't have enough of a malty backbone to stand up to the hops.

That's what makes small scale brewing great! Brew with what you have. It will be excellent.
You may just creat your favorite beer.

the carapils was added for head retention. the vienna for color ... and i was a sucker for the description. i just totally brainfarted and didn't order any crystal, or factor it in, for that matter. so, what to do?

the carapils was added for head retention. the vienna for color ... and i was a sucker for the description. i just totally brainfarted and didn't order any crystal, or factor it in, for that matter. so, what to do?

For what it's worth, my favorite IPA recipes have 0 crystal malt- not even carapils in them.

"Less is more" is a good mantra for a grainbill for IPAs, and they are my favorite style.

roger that and thanks for the input all! i'm hoping next year i can use some homegrown nugget hops in such a recipe at some point in the process.

I was formulating my recipe for an American IPA and my Jedi Master (LHBS owner) posted this link the same day

I had already used tip #5 - Use English Hops, but then read tip #1 - Don’t Use Crystal Malt

with excellent reasoning behind the tip and I already had Victory and Munich in the recipe, so I dropped the Crystal from the grain bill

brew day went pretty well, outside of a broken hydrometer. next on the list, a smoke beer (7# pilsner, 3# smoke malt, .5# cararoma, .5#caraaroma, 1 oz. perle)

Back