Star Wars VII

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas: "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" ...because the price is right.

Lucas: "I'm doing this so that the films will have a longer life." ...and because I need to fund my retirement.

He was tired of being labeled a sell-out, now he's just solidified what a true whore he is.

Honestly, I'm not sure money is a huge motivating factor for him. He's been called a lot of things, but a sell-out greedy money grabber doesn't fit for me. I mean, look how much he controlled the prequels...this is his baby. If money is all he wanted, then that's what he'd receive.

And $4B for the SW franchise? That's a steal, IMO.

Luke just fell, and he didn't land on his feet.

Puberty Vader calculated a 5 story fall from a train leaving wherever TF heading south at 45 mph onto another train travelling sxsw at 48mph and landed on his feet. That is 1 example. It is all super BS.

so, your issue is less with the fact that he didn't die (which, is what you said your post) but more with his ability to solve dynamic newtonian physics problems?

also, anakin didn't land on his feet.

Luke just fell, and he didn't land on his feet.

Puberty Vader calculated a 5 story fall from a train leaving wherever TF heading south at 45 mph onto another train travelling sxsw at 48mph and landed on his feet. That is 1 example. It is all super BS.

I gotta go with cheezy here. Yeah, I know they are Jedi and can do incredible things, but they are approaching Avengers superhero can't die can do anything the mind can dream up crap.

And Luke was caught in a tube to be gently slowed by it's increasing angle of deflection. Kind of like riding one of the tubes at the water park, but he only had his jedi clothing to protect himself from the friction burns. (And maybe that tube of KY in his pocket.)

I gotta go with cheezy here. Yeah, I know they are Jedi and can do incredible things, but they are approaching Avengers superhero can't die can do anything the mind can dream up crap.

And Luke was caught in a tube to be gently slowed by it's increasing angle of deflection. Kind of like riding one of the tubes at the water park, but he only had his jedi clothing to protect himself from the friction burns. (And maybe that tube of KY in his pocket.)

i agree it's ridiculous, but i don't think it's THAT MUCH more ridiculous that things that happened in OG

i agree it's ridiculous, but i don't think it's THAT MUCH more ridiculous that things that happened in OG

It is Star Wars science fiction. Some would argue that ANYTHING should go.

I submit merely that the 5 story jump, along with several other examples that I would remember if the movies hadn't sucked SO horribly that I could hardly see through my own puke.

I liken it to the Stallone movie, "Ice Climber" or whatever the hell that movie was called.

I couldn't get past the long fall where he saved himself by jamming his pickaxe thing into the wall of frozen snow and ice.

BS!!

Yeah, I know we were talking about a fictional galaxy a long ways away, but there is still a point at which you go, "give me a freaking break".

Really, all I ask for is a hot chick like Natalie Portman to be in it. Honestly, she's the main reason I didn't give up entirely on the prequels. And it was probably her worst performance ever. I'm including "Your Highness" in that list.

I liken it to the Stallone movie, "Ice Climber" or whatever the hell that movie was called.

I couldn't get past the long fall where he saved himself by jamming his pickaxe thing into the wall of frozen snow and ice.

BS!!

Yeah, I know we were talking about a fictional galaxy a long ways away, but there is still a point at which you go, "give me a freaking break".

Really, all I ask for is a hot chick like Natalie Portman to be in it. Honestly, she's the main reason I didn't give up entirely on the prequels. And it was probably her worst performance ever. I'm including "Your Highness" in that list.

Cliff hanger

BS!!

EXACTLY!!

With me it is almost always physics.

Plot makes little sense? meh, I can still watch.

Untrained civilian makes 5 out of 5 amazing headshots from a speeding pick up truck off road?

BS!! (the walking dead season 2 finale....still epic;))

EXACTLY!!

With me it is almost always physics.

Plot makes little sense? meh, I can still watch.

Untrained civilian makes 5 out of 5 amazing headshots from a speeding pick up truck off road?

BS!! (the walking dead season 2 finale....still epic;))

DAMMIT!

My Satellite receiver crapped out and I lost that episode! Now you've spoiled it before I had a chance to Netflix it!

Now I know why you have such a bad reputation. :mad:

Know what would have been cool? (But too scary for kids) is after Anakin gets all f**ked up, have a long scene where he slowly becomes evil-incarnate Darth Vader, complete with the Emperor hovering and whispering in his ear an getting into his head like Brando in Apocalypse Now. As the pieces of the Vader suit (in rough, just-put-it-together form) are applied piece by piece over days/weeks, Anakin slowly goes mad and becomes Vader. He conveys it all with his eyes.

Ah, screw it. Let's just say that the Emperor had the Vader suit fully fitted and ready to go and we'll slap the damn thing on in a quick scene. *dusts off hands* Done!

And, by the way, when Vader gets off the table, he had the friggin' cape on. What? In the middle of trying to save his life by implanting all sorts of electronic/robotic/cyborg parts, someone said "Wait! Lift him up so we can put this cape under him. That way, we won't have to put it on AFTER he stands up!"

JonM said:
Know what would have been cool? (But too scary for kids) is after Anakin gets all f**ked up, have a long scene where he slowly becomes evil-incarnate Darth Vader, complete with the Emperor hovering and whispering in his ear an getting into his head like Brando in Apocalypse Now. As the pieces of the Vader suit (in rough, just-put-it-together form) are applied piece by piece over days/weeks, Anakin slowly goes mad and becomes Vader. He conveys it all with his eyes.

Ah, screw it. Let's just say that the Emperor had the Vader suit fully fitted and ready to go and we'll slap the damn thing on in a quick scene. *dusts off hands* Done!

And, by the way, when Vader gets off the table, he had the friggin' cape on. What? In the middle of trying to save his life by implanting all sorts of electronic/robotic/cyborg parts, someone said "Wait! Lift him up so we can put this cape under him. That way, we won't have to put it on AFTER he stands up!"

I never noticed the cape, that's awesome

DAMMIT!

My Satellite receiver crapped out and I lost that episode! Now you've spoiled it before I had a chance to Netflix it!

Now I know why you have such a bad reputation. :mad:

Lol. You poor, poor wretched creature!;)

If you are serious, it is an AWESOME episode. Worth a re-watch.

http://acculturated.com/2012/10/31/george-lucas-just-saved-star-wars-by-firing-george-lucas/

A final aside: I’ve joked for decades among my friends that the definitive proof that time travel will never be invented is in the fact that George Lucas was not mysteriously murdered by someone who appeared out of thin air in 1981. I may need to stop telling that joke now, because perhaps the reason they didn’t do it was so this sale could happen. If so, that is a comforting thought.

Love the closing line.

Lol. You poor, poor wretched creature!;)

If you are serious, it is an AWESOME episode. Worth a re-watch.

Of course, I'm serious. I don't joke around!

I might have to pull the computer into the family room this weekend. The PS3 died last night.

Maybe it's a sign from God that I should be working on upgrading my brewing system to electric...

Of course, I'm serious. I don't joke around!

I might have to pull the computer into the family room this weekend. The PS3 died last night.

Maybe it's a sign from God that I should be working on upgrading my brewing system to electric...

Damn! Something is trying to keep you from that episode.

My favorite part is when the CDC helicopters sweep in at the end and Kill everyone but the kid hiding under the car!!!!!!

Then the flying zombies bite the nipples off of that hot ATF agent.......

wait........WHAT?

Minor detail but I gotta mention it. I saw my first Star Wars movie in 1980. Empire. Every Star Wars movie I've ever seen starts with a black screen and blue text reading "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..."

Immediately before that, there's the 20th Century Fox thing with the drums and the trumpets. They're gonna ditch that. We're going to start with the Disney castle and Walt's signature. Like I said, it's a minor detail, but it'll be a little jarring.

JonM said:
Minor detail but I gotta mention it. I saw my first Star Wars movie in 1980. Empire. Every Star Wars movie I've ever seen starts with a black screen and blue text reading "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..."

Immediately before that, there's the 20th Century Fox thing with the drums and the trumpets. They're gonna ditch that. We're going to start with the Disney castle and Walt's signature. Like I said, it's a minor detail, but it'll be a little jarring.

I guess I'll have to try not to let it bother me, I never thought about that minor detail.

Today I watched a doc on Netflix called The People vs George Lucas. I may have mentioned in this thread that my kneejerk reaction was betrayal but then I thought about the big picture and now I think it may be a good thing for the franchise. Well, this doc helped solidify my position and I recommend everyone watch it.

I guess I'll have to try not to let it bother me, I never thought about that minor detail.

Today I watched a doc on Netflix called The People vs George Lucas. I may have mentioned in this thread that my kneejerk reaction was betrayal but then I thought about the big picture and now I think it may be a good thing for the franchise. Well, this doc helped solidify my position and I recommend everyone watch it.

The more I'm reading about this the more I'm thinking it's a good thing. Still would have preferred a sale to someone other than Disney, but as long as Lucas's role is minimized, it's only gonna help.

I'll have to check that documentary out.

The more I'm reading about this the more I'm thinking it's a good thing. Still would have preferred a sale to someone other than Disney, but as long as Lucas's role is minimized, it's only gonna help.

I'll have to check that documentary out.

I find it humorous that I started picking out people who were angry yet had no right to be angry. And then I watched the documentary and you see even more people who are angry but they shouldn't be.

Here's something I don't get. Maybe it's because the remastered tapes of Star Wars 4-6 were released the year I turned 6. But people watched Star Wars and wanted more of the same stuff. George Lucas claimed he released an unfinished product and was able to realize his dream for those films with the remaster. People bitched and moaned. So he gave them more Star Wars, new Star Wars. And people weren't happy about that either.

Yes, there are reasons the movies were very different. My guess is Lucas was much older and wasn't as young and inspired as he was in the past.You can also consider that true artists don't create for others but for themselves and The People decide whether it is a commercial success or not. Lucas made the movies he wanted to make. It was good enough circa 1980, why wasn't it good enough in the 2000's?

I've always been a strong fan of the franchise. I was in elementary school still when I saw Episode 1 and I enjoyed it, though I no longer enjoy it. I saw Episode 2 in theaters maybe 4 times and loved it. I still think that, on the whole, it was well made. And then when Episode 3 came along I saw that in theaters and thought it almost redeemed the "malicious destruction to Star Wars" that apparently happened in Episode 1.

And now people are butthurt that Lucas sold out to Disney and say that the franchise will be even more disgraced by Disney's milking of series such as Pirates of the Caribbean. But they're the same people who wanted more Star Wars before their disenchantment with Episode 1.

To wrap this up, I'd say the self-proclaimed nerds who love Star Wars by hating on it are worse than George Lucas. To those of us who love Star Wars and show it by supporting what we like rather than bashing what we don't, cheers :mug:

damn. I never thought about that. That whole sequence is part of my life. I owned The Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack as a kid and listened to it often so the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is ingrained in my mind.

Maybe I'll have to carry a small speaker into the theater and play the fanfare just before the movie starts...

I think it's a good thing, myself. Disney is one of the few movie companies with enough money to buy the franchise, and to make something good of it. Disney is less likely than most to just milk the franchise by making some crap. Disney won't let M Night Shyamalan near the thing. And Lucas wasn't ever going to make any more Star Wars films unless he just ran out of money. Howard the Duck anyone?

Star Wars is kinda like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

So, I just don't see how more Star Wars could be a bad thing.

I'm excited, especially since it sounds like they are going to go with Lucas' storyline. He isn't much for writing IMO; but, his big picture ideas are what made Star Wars. I also really like stuff like the Timothy Zahn series as I noted earlier...but, just doesn't sound like its going to go that direction.

I'm trying to figure out why people hate Disney so much, as if some other multi-billion dollar entertainment business is somehow any different.

Star Wars is kinda like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Well, yeah, we're talking an entire shift of expectations here. It's about what could have been.

I'm excited, especially since it sounds like they are going to go with Lucas' storyline. He isn't much for writing IMO; but, his big picture ideas are what made Star Wars. I also really like stuff like the Timothy Zahn series as I noted earlier...but, just doesn't sound like its going to go that direction.

I'm trying to figure out why people hate Disney so much, as if some other multi-billion dollar entertainment business is somehow any different.

Disney has some of the best connections in the world. I think it's an exciting time for the SW galaxy. Anything can happen. They aren't locked in to an existing future like the prequels, and they know what fans like and what they don't. Kids still like kick ass toys, even if they don't understand the politics or meaning behind each character. Young kids loved Luke for his youthful outlook. They loved Darth Vader because he's bad ass. They loved Darth Maul for the same reason. (Too bad he died too early in the prequels...)

i don't know about you - but I have had some baaaad motherf__king pizza...

Today I realized that since Disney owns Star Wars, Leia is now a Disney princess (maybe my new favorite, at that). If they have Princess Leia at the Disney parks just like the other princesses, this means Disney easily doubled their foot traffic by bringing nerds in to get their pictures taken with her.

dudius said:
Today I realized that since Disney owns Star Wars, Leia is now a Disney princess (maybe my new favorite, at that). If they have Princess Leia at the Disney parks just like the other princesses, this means Disney easily doubled their foot traffic by bringing nerds in to get their pictures taken with her.

They have had her there for a while. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I like Abrams. At least, I haven't disliked anything he's done.

As long as Ryan Gosling isn't in it I'll be good.

I wonder if, since it's the episode that comes after Jedi, they'll have Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, etc. in the movie as the old sage characters.

I wonder if, since it's the episode that comes after Jedi, they'll have Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, etc. in the movie as the old sage characters.

I know Lucas made a comment years ago about seeing them in old age in another film but he's since stated he wasn't serious about it.

Based on the films currently made, I predict we will see R2D2 and C-3PO with the antagonists, since they are the only characters featured in each movie besides Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader. What I'm really curious about are the relation between the antagonists and those previous as well as the conflict. The biggest challenge with this new trilogy is that the conflict from episodes 1-6 is the same conflict but presumably ends with the fall of the Empire. How do you introduce a new chief antagonist and a new conflict?

Back