Big step- my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
Greetings ladies and gents,

It's been a while since I posted on HBT, mainly because I ran out of questions. Not meaning that I know much at all, but the type of brewing I've been doing is the Coopers style, pre hopped kits. Just mix the tin with water, add additional sugar, pitch yeast and wait. Over the past (almost) year I've had a couple of not so great beers, but due to impatience, and the rest have been great (as far as I'm concerned).

But now I'm jumping in to AG. I don't have the space or money for much, so, after reading as much as I could, I plumped for electric BIAB.

I intend to do a SMaSH for my first brew. It's about 10# Maris Otter. 1oz Challenger at 60, 1/2oz at 30 and 1/2oz at 5. I don't have a 'target' gravity, I'm happy to see what comes out.

I'm sure it will be beer, and keeping it simple will allow me to concentrate on the process.

Anyone care to point out the obvious mistake I must have made but am, as yet, ignorant of?

As far as mistakes, I am not sure I understand the question. You haven't really told us much to go off of. Give us an idea of your process.

Fair point. It's mainly the hops schedule I have no idea about having never used them!

Process will be mash in as much water as possible in my 6 gallon kettle (biab). No sparge because I haven't figured a way to do it with the equipment I have available. I think this should result in a concentrated wort with the 10# of grain, so I will add water before and during the boil to end up with 5 gal to go into the fermenter.

If possible you can pour the sparge water through the grains to "rinse" them.
I would move the 30 min hop addition to 10 mins as 30 isn't normally used.. (too short to do enough bittering and too long for flavoring)

60 min addition will do your bittering
10 or 5 min would do your flavoring
and the 5 would be fine or you could add them closer to flameout or (dryhop) for the aroma addition also.

Biermuncher did an awesome stove top BIAB walk through but I can't find it right now. Hopefully someone else can and will post that link. It was helpful to me!
Good Luck with your first all grain! Let us know how it goes!

My personal experience with a typical American 30 amp 220 volt stove is that you can't get 5 gallons to boil (or boil easily) on 1 burner, and you are better off splitting your batch then into 2 brew kettles. One of the really good BIAB picture essays on the site (I think it is a sticky also) shows him using 2 4gallon pots, first one for the mash, and then the 2nd for the sparge/rinse iirc. Again you might be limited by your kettles.

Good luck.

I did BIAB stove-top with a turkey fryer pot a few times. It boils...eventually. For faster results, boil less wort, top-off with water at the end when you rack to fermenter. At least until you can get an e-kettle or propane setup.

Thanks everyone.

It's an electric boiler, which should be able to achieve a good boil as far as I know.

I'll adjust the hops schedule to 1oz at 60', 1/2oz at 10' and 1/2oz at flame out.

I'll be boiling less than the full volume and topping up as I go (until maybe 15 minutes left for sanitisation).

Back