Not much smells worse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this a few times... it's not really "forgetting" if you're a lazy bastid like myself. I will say that the lovely vomit smell doesn't seem to persist (oxyclean'd) and I have never felt like I had any problems with subsequent batches.

:mug: Cheers to the unintentional sour mash!

P.S. saw that you're in Atlanta... if you MLT is a cooler then leaving it out in the sun after oxycleaning can help neutralize odors as well

Wow. I guess there is "brewing" and then there is "Super-duper-half-assed-brewing"!!!

lol.

When I do a mash I am watching it like a hawk for an hour. I'd forget my wife's name before I forgot about my mash!

You just stare at the cooler for an hour?

Anyway, I like to use the "clean as you go" philosophy. There's a lot of just waiting around in brewing; mashing, sparging, waiting for wort to boil, waiting between hop additions, waiting for the wort to cool. If you use those opportunities to clean whatever happens to be dirty and not in use, it's a lot less likely that you'll end up in that situation. After I get the wort in the fermenter, all I have left to clean is the boil kettle and wort chiller.

You just stare at the cooler for an hour?

Anyway, I like to use the "clean as you go" philosophy. There's a lot of just waiting around in brewing; mashing, sparging, waiting for wort to boil, waiting between hop additions, waiting for the wort to cool. If you use those opportunities to clean whatever happens to be dirty and not in use, it's a lot less likely that you'll end up in that situation. After I get the wort in the fermenter, all I have left to clean is the boil kettle and wort chiller.

haha, of course not but I set a timer at 15 minute intervals to check the temp and stir the mash. I usually do some cleaning of the kitchen during the mash and weigh out my hops, check the yeast starter, etc.

I put the BIAB bag in my oven, since it was the only place the dog couldn't get to. It was a few days before I realized what was causing the stink in my house. Doubt that I'll ever forget again.

Yumm not take it and dump it in your garden. Cover it with a little dirt forget about it. soak your mash tun in oxy and then put some bleach in it it is cheap leave it for a day dump and let dry

YUP.

I once got nearly attacted by a pack of LLamas for trying to feed them few days old, stored in the freezer, spent grain, that started to thaw on the hour drive in the summer. It doesn't take long for lacto to take hold of the grain and souring it.

I almost died, I swear......

Lamma spit ain't fun.

OK, to clarify, I used my mash, I sparged and collected, boiled and pitched yeast. The spent grains were left in the cooler.

24 hours of oxyclean, and she smells like new.

OK, to clarify, I used my mash, I sparged and collected, boiled and pitched yeast. The spent grains were left in the cooler.

24 hours of oxyclean, and she smells like new.

No need to clarify, we all know what you did, those of us who posted have more than likely done it ourselves, or experienced the lovely aroma of lacto infested spent grain.

Back