Did I mess this beer up??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassTheBeer

Reaction score
ok guys I was making a Brewers Best falconer's flight kit, I wanted to bump up the alcohol content a bit so I added an extra pound of light DME at the last 15 min of the boil. OG should have been about : 1.075 - 1.079 but when I took my OG is was at 1.120.

So I threw in the yeast that came with the kit and let it go to work. Boy did it take off. I also checked a few yeast calculators and I apparently under pitched my yeast as well. I waited a week for everything to fall and then threw in the additional yeast that should have been put in originally. Now the beer has been sitting for another 2 weeks and I havent seen any change. Not everything has fallen to the bottom nor have I seen any bubbles. I am on the fence whether I e'ff this up big time OR there is so much sugar its still going to be working for another 2-4 weeks.

I will post a pic when I get home. Tell me what you think guys.

Take a gravity reading. Only way to know what's actually going on.

Take gravity readings 1 or 2 days apart. if it is the same it is done.... bottle and enjoy... if it is still going down leave it for a few days and check again. ether way its not going to be "bad" maybe just a bit on the sweet side

Putting the extra yeast in after the ferment was a wasted step. Like you said ,"it took off" A week later it was probabily done. Did you do a partial or full boil ? If it was a partial you may not have had the wort mixed completly and gotten a reading that was all sugar.

Putting the extra yeast in after the ferment was a wasted step. Like you said ,"it took off" A week later it was probabily done. Did you do a partial or full boil ? If it was a partial you may not have had the wort mixed completly and gotten a reading that was all sugar.

this ^

Your beer should be just fine

Since it's been 3 weeks total,I agree to take a hydrometer sample to see where you're at. And 1 extra pound of DME shouldn't make that much difference.

well guys I waited a full month, checked it for a FG yesterday its sitting at 1.020. When I get home tonight i'll check to see if there is any difference. But as it stands this is a big beer @ 13.37%

Sounds like your beer is ruined. Bottle and send over to me so i can dispose it properly.

well guys I waited a full month, checked it for a FG yesterday its sitting at 1.020. When I get home tonight i'll check to see if there is any difference. But as it stands this is a big beer @ 13.37%

OG at 1.120, FG at 1.020? That's a 84% attenuation, wow.
I'd cold crash it and harvest off the yeast. Properly wash them, and you should have a decent number that survived the high alcohol (and you'll know they're good for a starter for the next big beer you do like this)

The original OG that you measured was not accurate.that often happens with partial boil.what did the kit say the OG should have been before you added an extra pound?

OG 1.075 - 1.079, but I added 1 extra lb of DME for the fun of it. Either way the beer so far is pretty tasty

PassTheBeer said:

I agree that your OG reading was likely off. A pound of DME would not increase it that much, and attenuation that high is quite unlikely. What is the predicted OG once you take the DME into the calculation?

Latest posts

Back