Research Survey (Prizes available)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJTHEBEST

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm doing my senior thesis project on homebrewing. I am trying to analyze the costs associated with the equipment side of brewing and trying to see if it relates to how much beer that you brew. In other words do people who have spent a lot of money on equipment brew more beer than people who haven't spent that much. I will be randomly choosing two people who complete the survey to win a 25 dollar gift card. My only stipulation on that is that you have to spend it on homebrew.

Anyways I greatly appreciate your time and thought on the answers. Please only take the survey once because i will be posting it at several different sites.

Here is the link

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HTTNTF9

Thanks,

TJ

Done. One observation is that you might have trouble supporting your thesis with the options provided for the number of batches per year. The option for less than 20 batches won't discrimate between someone who brews 2 or 3 batches a year vs someone who is brewing almost every other weekend (20 batches a year). I'm not sure what the distribution of batches per year is, but my guess is that 20 per year is towards the high end of the bell curve.

Done. Good luck! Hopefully, I give some information that's a little out of the norm.

Done. One observation is that you might have trouble supporting your thesis with the options provided for the number of batches per year. The option for less than 20 batches won't discrimate between someone who brews 2 or 3 batches a year vs someone who is brewing almost every other weekend (20 batches a year). I'm not sure what the distribution of batches per year is, but my guess is that 20 per year is towards the high end of the bell curve.

it's gallons, not batches. that's only 4 times per year, at 5g batches.

and, done.

Done.

I would have designed the Likert scales slightly differently. Also decoction mashing and batch/fly sparging are not mutually exclusive.

Needed to pre-test your survey with brewers before finalizing--you have design problems.

Good luck!

It's going to be more correlated to income, then number of batches. It doesn't matter how many times you brew, if you dont have a lot of extra money you're not going to have the bad ass equipment.

I think this might be the only time I think I answered the question "how much did you spend on brewing equipment?" 100% truthfully. Normally it's SWMBO asking and she normally doesn't like my answers.

I just have a comment - some of these options are rather limited. For example, one of the questions asks you to choose the type of setup you have, but gives you no options between "I do full boils" and "I brew on a full 3-vessel rig". Another has you choose between fly sparging, batch sparging, BIAB and decoction mashing, but not all of these are mutually exclusive. I used the "Other" box to fill these in, but that still seems like more work for you.

Done.

Completed for you.

One of the questions I answered other to as I am moving towards partial mashing with my next recipe kits but I have gone from hopped malt extract to my last kits being steeping grains boiling and hop additions. :mug:

I now realize im not a survey making expert... :drunk:

I do appreciate you guys filling in the other fields like you have been.

Thanks

Back