do i need a apple grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbugawkagawk

Reaction score
the question is just that. last year i used a juicer for my apples. not alot of yield. i want to buy a press but to keep the cost down i was wondering if there was a way around the apple grinder. any other ways. this is my second year doing it, very tasty last year want to do it again just want more bang for my buck as far a yield goes.

cheers

One of the things that kept me from building a press was having to grind the apples. I've also seen these and it seems like a fairly cheap way to get an apple ground. But I've heard the result is not great for pressing. Is there a preferred way to build it to prevent it from being too fine?

I found a u-tube video for this on the net. The original poster used stainless shaft and a turned drum. My ghetto version is made from scraps around the house, wood shaft and bearing, stainless screw heads to do the chopping. Motorized, it will grind/chip a 5 gallon bucket in 2 or 3 minutes, depending on the size of the apples.

2009_1010applechoppersmall.JPG

You can use a food processor. I personally shredded the apples first then took the shreddings and pureed them. You might be able to use the shreddings alone. Of course this takes you two days of constant work (depending on how many apples you have) and you might destroy your food processor. For this reason I made a garbage disposal grinder (GBG).
As far as GBG vs. Drum grinders... the GBG will cost about 100 dollars and be fairly easy to build. It is slower than a drum grinder and definitely has its issues. It does work and work well enough to try, however. A drum grinder will cost over 100 dollars for most people and involves some skill to build. Its a much faster and easier grinder when done correctly. Those are my conclusion at least...

After pricing disposals, I may end up building one like the one above myself. It can't cost as much, even if I have to actually purchase material that we don't have laying around. Should be able to find enough SS to make it easy to clean.

EDIT: found a short length of SS pipe about 3-4" in diameter on the shelf. I'm going to see if I can buy it for scrap rate.

the question is just that. last year i used a juicer for my apples. not alot of yield. i want to buy a press but to keep the cost down i was wondering if there was a way around the apple grinder. any other ways. this is my second year doing it, very tasty last year want to do it again just want more bang for my buck as far a yield goes.

cheers

I use a Jack lalane power juicer express. My wife bought it for x-mas. The thing will do 5 galons of whole apples in 45 minutes. No wasted juice! This thing is amazing. It sells new for 100 but I bet ebay and some luck you could get it for 50. The pulp is almost dry when it comes out. Truly amazing!

just wanted to say that the piece of apparatus that jet posted is pretty rag-nar. Love it. To call it a kludge would be just plain rude.

With my juicer, all the pulp ends up in a bin--you could just add that to the press or just use a cheesecloth to squeeze a bit more juice out.

Back