Choosing a chest freezer for fementation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detz

Reaction score
I've decided that needs to be the next purchase. I can have fancy pots, fancy fermentation vessels but if I can't keep the temperature consistant none of it will matter. I was looking online but it's hard to tell, has anyone had good luck with ones that I can pickup at sears/lowers/home depot? I want it to hold two 6 gallon buckets/carboys. I was thinking of just bringing a bucket into the store to measure them out. :)

I have the black 7.2 cu ft chest freezer from Lowes (first link in detz's post) and it holds only one 6.5 gal bucket in the bottom. However, it will hold a second bucket on the step above the compressor, but with an airlock the lid will not close. I haven't tried any alternative to an airlock, such as a blow off tube to see if the lid will close.

A typical 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket is 12" by 23" tall with the airlock and a 7.8 gallon is 14.5" by 23" tall with the airlock. So, you need your chest freezer to accomodate about a 30" depth and 30" width in the "non-hump" area by about 25" tall to comfortably fit two buckets.

It's hard to shop it without going out to physically measure, because the quoted specifications include the inside hump, which is useless for fermentation buckets.

And when you do go shopping, cut out 3-4 1ft circles out of cardboard so you can set them in the freezer and see if they'll fit.

I don't mind doing a collar, I just want to get the most space for the least amount of money! :)

I got a 5.2 cubic foot chest freezer on Craigslist for $30. It only holds one carboy but I usually only have one active fermentation going on at a time.

If it's solely for fermentation, the 'son of' chamber is a lot less $. Too, a keezer can be used as a fermentation cooler, but it can't do double duty; that is, it can only do one task at a time. (unless you want to serve beer at fermentation temperatures)

Space considerations are a real problem, I admit.

*walks off, pondering how to make a 'son of' chamber so it folded flat when not in use*

Yeah, I would rather not worry about changing ice out..set it and forget it. :) I don't mind spending $300-$350 to get this up and running especially if I can keep two beers going at all times. I guess I'll just some cardboard circles and go test out some freezers.

I have an upright fridge/freezer downstairs that isn't being used that was there when we bought our house. I would love to convert this into a kegerator but I'm not sure if I really know how to. In a case like this, considering I don't have much experience with minor construction, I'd think of myself as more of a visual learner. However, I've been looking online and this link makes it look rather easy. I get a little overwhelmed on this forum when I see tons of information flying around on how to convert a fridge into a kegerator. I just want something simple, with two, maybe three taps, nothing special at all.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2053042_convert-old-refrigerator-kegerator.html

If you are looking for the most space for the lowest cost consider buying a chest freezer off of Craigslist or elsewhere used. Best value IMO.

My plan is to buy a refrigerator off craigs list that will hold (2) Ale Pales.....plus I can use the upper shelf (if big enough) to store extra beer to allow to chill... :mug:

Anyone have an opinion on using a freezer versus a refrigerator as a fermentation chamber? I guess either is fine as long as you install the thermostat controller on it....

mgortel said:
My plan is to buy a refrigerator off craigs list that will hold (2) Ale Pales.....plus I can use the upper shelf (if big enough) to store extra beer to allow to chill... :mug:

Anyone have an opinion on using a freezer versus a refrigerator as a fermentation chamber? I guess either is fine as long as you install the thermostat controller on it....

I've decided to replace my dorm fridge with a chest freezer for fermentation control. Why? When I have an explosive fermentation it leaks out of the dorm fridge and onto the garage floor, seeping under two large and heavy storage racks. A chest freezer will contain this much better and allow me to move the whole freezer outside to clean it out.

That is my reason for going the chest freezer route

I've decided to replace my dorm fridge with a chest freezer for fermentation control. Why? When I have an explosive fermentation it leaks out of the dorm fridge and onto the garage floor, seeping under two large and heavy storage racks. A chest freezer will contain this much better and allow me to move the whole freezer outside to clean it out.

That is my reason for going the chest freezer route

Maybe rig up a blowoff tube?

I'm also looking into ways to control fermentation temperatures (it gets hot in san diego!) and I like this idea.

But I was wondering what do you need to purchase along with the chest freezer to control your temperature?

I gave a lot of thought to this before I started as I wanted a dedicated fermentation chamber after a couple of disappointing brews last winter (had a hard time keeping the temps stable).

I ended up going with the Holiday 7.0 CF freezer from Lowes (http://www.lowes.com/pd_73849-33112-LCM070LC_4294932774_4294933768_?productId=3042351). It was cheap, they had free delivery (to my 3rd floor apartment!) and a military discount. If I had a truck I probably would have stalked craigslist but all things considered this was my best option.

4127-outside-fridge.jpg

I can't quite fit two ale pales in it, but an ale pale and a better bottle fit quite well with some room to spare. That's EdWorts Apfelwein on the left and a Belgian tripel on the right.

4129-inside-fridge.jpg

I use a DIY temp controller built from plans I found on this forum (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/). I wired something backwards when I built it so the green light comes on when it's heating and the red comes on when cooling. :eek:

4128-diy-temperature-controller-based-plans-found-here-http-www-homebrewtalk-com-f51-ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849.jpg

Good luck with whatever you go with.

Back