Favorite place to buy extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I've never brewed an exact kit to the ingredient, I've based most of my recipes on Northern Brewer kits plus the research I've done on these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

morebeer.com has top notch service and super fresh ingredients.

I do like Midwest Supplies, it's where I bought all my equipment when I started brewing and I've stuck with them. Their prices are competitive and shipping is quick to me (Omaha, NE)...

What I do like about Midwest over AHS is that they list their ingredients for the kit on the website, that way I know ahead of time what I'm getting and if there is anything I'd like to add. For example, their SNPA clone lists the hops (Perle and Cascade). When I brewed the kit, I ordered another oz of Cascade for dry-hopping. It's not a huge deal, but I like it :D

^^^ same with NB, they give you the recipe break down, and when I order their Black IPA, I plan on adding an oz. of centennial somewhere in the boil to bump the IBU to where I want it, with AHS, although their kits are great, you arent quite sure what and how much of anything you are getting.

I have only ever ordered from Midwest, they've never given me reason not to. The AHS clone selection is tempting though.

I actually like that Brewmasters Warehouse will package my own recipes in a kit. It's handy for those instances when I only need 4 ounces of some random grain, and don't want to have to buy a full pound at the LHBS.

This is a big advantage over AHS, since I also like to know what's in my kit before ordering it.

Although I do like the optional alcohol boost that AHS offers. Not sure if Midwest offers that as well...

What I do like about Midwest over AHS is that they list their ingredients for the kit on the website, that way I know ahead of time what I'm getting and if there is anything I'd like to add. For example, their SNPA clone lists the hops (Perle and Cascade). When I brewed the kit, I ordered another oz of Cascade for dry-hopping. It's not a huge deal, but I like it :D

Never purchased from them, nor have I ever brewed directly from a kit recipe but I got a catalog from Northern Brewer yesterday and was seriously impressed with the variety of extract kits they've got... something like 80+ for ales alone. I'd say they're definitely worth a look.

I do like Midwest Supplies, it's where I bought all my equipment when I started brewing and I've stuck with them. Their prices are competitive and shipping is quick to me (Omaha, NE)...

A simple e-mail or call to AHS and they will send you the instuction sheet. With as many recipes as they have on there if they posted them all they would just be giving them to the competition. Free shiipping on orders over 100 so I order enough to brew a few batches. I hate getting hosed by companies on shipping rates.

Not to fork this thread, but if the reason they don't post the recipes is to avoid giving them to the competition, why do they give them out so easily if you call or email them? It seems like much of the competition is posting their kit ingredients, so it would be nice if AHS did the same.

However, I do agree with you that the free shipping over $100 is a plus. That's why I've ordered through them exclusively over the past year, although hopefully my order sizes will start costing much less :)

A simple e-mail or call to AHS and they will send you the instuction sheet. With as many recipes as they have on there if they posted them all they would just be giving them to the competition.

For me, Northern Brewer for Extract kits has always been good to me. The 'masses' all like AK-47 and they keep asking when I am going to make another batch of it. For All-Grain batches, I just went with Brewerswarehouse. They put your batch all together for you. Pretty cool idea and 3 day to my house shipping.

I like Northern Brewer but I really like Annapolis home brews kit. Developed in house. Excellent taste and large selection.

Imo, northern is good, midwest supply is good. I've found Williams brewing is excellent as well.

Not to fork this thread, but if the reason they don't post the recipes is to avoid giving them to the competition, why do they give them out so easily if you call or email them? It seems like much of the competition is posting their kit ingredients, so it would be nice if AHS did the same.

However, I do agree with you that the free shipping over $100 is a plus. That's why I've ordered through them exclusively over the past year, although hopefully my order sizes will start costing much less :)

Well here is a quote from the owner from a previous thread here. It sounds to me like it is a competition issue, but maybe a read it wrong.

Originally Posted by Keith_Mahoney
Last time I looked at AHS they didn't list the types of hops included in the kits. I'm not saying they need to go as far as NB and post the whole recipe but I would at least like to know what kind of hops are included in the kits. That is the main reason I never used them even though all the reviews are great.

We will gladly tell you what is in any kit, you just have to ask. We have the most kits and most award winning kits. If you read the reviews on our web site you will see that we have the best kits.

I just don't want our website to be the recipe database for other homebrew stores. Also, if the recipes are posted, people just take the recipe to their local place to be filled. I develop the recipes and I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once. The instructions have full disclosure. Then when you love the recipe, you can buy the ingredients anywhere you like. Sounds reasonable right?

Forrest

I hate getting hosed by companies on shipping rates.

Even with Shipping Midwest and Northern Brewer usually come out ahead of AHS price wise. I really don't understand why shipping is an issue if the other places are less expensive for the total order.

I have always been happy with Midwest and Northern Brewer kits.

Even with Shipping Midwest and Northern Brewer usually come out ahead of AHS price wise. I really don't understand why shipping is an issue if the other places are less expensive for the total order.

I have always been happy with Midwest and Northern Brewer kits.

Aside from hops I completely disagree. The grains, and extract are the same price, but one cost me much less to ship. NB has a flat rate which is nice, but midwest was very high in the shipping dept.

Look at the price of base grains, specialty grains, and extract. All three places are identical. I buy my hops bulk, so I don't order from them.

NB, and midwest make up any difference in shipping, and the cost of kits is completely dependent on what is in the kit.....so kit to kit you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. ie the same exact ingredience. I can buy 100 worth of supplies from ahs and pay nothing to ship, or the same amount of producct from the other two you mentioned and pay at least $8.00 to ship.

I could also be that you are much closer to midwest which would mean less to ship......cost of shipping is tied to where you are shipping.

Yeah the kits are not the same from any of the 3 places so you can't really compare prices on them.

Look at the price of base grains, specialty grains, and extract. All three places are identical.

No they are not. Midwest has yeast less expensive than either. $0.75 on the dry I use and $1.25 less expensive on liquid. AHS charges $2.25 more for 6lb of extract. I always price out all 3 when shopping. Midwest and Northern Brewer always come out ahead of AHS. You are right that I may pay slightly less in shipping but I get nickle and dimed by AHS to the point where they are more expensive even with free shipping.

I buy most of my hops and grains from Farmhouse Brewing supply.

I have only bought from AHS, but I have been very pleased with their service. I also really like the selection of kits they have. Plus as a UT graduate I like to support Austin businesses.

Yeah the kits are not the same from any of the 3 places so you can't really compare prices on them.

No they are not. Midwest has yeast less expensive than either. $0.75 on the dry I use and $1.25 less expensive on liquid. AHS charges $2.25 more for 6lb of extract. I always price out all 3 when shopping. Midwest and Northern Brewer always come out ahead of AHS. You are right that I may pay slightly less in shipping but I get nickle and dimed by AHS to the point where they are more expensive even with free shipping.

I buy most of my hops and grains from Farmhouse Brewing supply.

But by time you pay the shipping rates for any of those items from midwest, you are behind. They charge you 10 to ship and it cost them 5. I don't play that game. I'll pay for the product, but I'm not paying rediculous rates to ship.

I get bulk stuff from AHS, and hops from hops direct. To each his own I guess.:mug:

To be fair to Midwest. they are not gouging. Right now it costs at least $7 to ship 1 pound across the street. Then the cost of the box peanuts and labor. I dont think they overcharge on chipping. It is probably what they pay. We just had an order that was $450 and it cost us over $300 in shipping charges. The customer did not pay any shipping. Shipping charge have gone up a whole lot and then they increase 5% every year and then there are gas prices. I only collect about 15% of what I pay to UPS.

Forrest

I am pretty new to brewing but I did a little shopping around and found rebel brewers to be very competitive. They also have great customer service. They actually came in when the store was closed just so I could pick up my order to avoid shipping costs. Great QC on their products as well.
-Nick

But by time you pay the shipping rates for any of those items from midwest, you are behind. They charge you 10 to ship and it cost them 5. I don't play that game. I'll pay for the product, but I'm not paying rediculous rates to ship.

I get bulk stuff from AHS, and hops from hops direct. To each his own I guess.:mug:

I guess you didn't pay attention to the direct info that people were posting; that they did the math and determined that it was less WITH the shipping.

I see it a lot with people buying computer parts; they'll pay more for each item for free shipping, but somehow not figure in the extra cost of the items. I mean, it's pretty simple, if you want to offer flat rate shipping (free shipping being included in that genre) you have to build the cost of shipping into the cost of your products.

When I need to order stuff, I usually build the cart up at multiple places, and look at the final totals, plus whatever shipping, from each place. And usually, the end prices are really close.

It'll be something like 89.99 + 7.99 shipping from one place, and 86.99 plus 10.49 shipping from another...

Actually, when it comes time to place my actual order, it often ends up coming down to something like one retailer doesn't carry a particular item or it is out of stock, so I end up going with the one that has it. Or a $1 difference in the price of an item I'm getting 3 or 4 of...

To be fair to Midwest. they are not gouging. Right now it costs at least $7 to ship 1 pound across the street. Then the cost of the box peanuts and labor. I dont think they overcharge on chipping. It is probably what they pay. We just had an order that was $450 and it cost us over $300 in shipping charges. The customer did not pay any shipping. Shipping charge have gone up a whole lot and then they increase 5% every year and then there are gas prices. I only collect about 15% of what I pay to UPS.

Forrest
I live in Alaska. If you are willing to absorb $300 in S&H on a $450 order, why are you charging freight into Alaska? I don't get it. Is it just because you can. I believe all of the online suppliers do this. It doesn't cost any more to ship from Austin to Spokane that it does from Austin to Fairbanks. What gives?

I live in Alaska. If you are willing to absorb $300 in S&H on a $450 order, why are you charging freight into Alaska? I don't get it. Is it just because you can. I believe all of the online suppliers do this. It doesn't cost any more to ship from Austin to Spokane that it does from Austin to Fairbanks. What gives?

I just did a UPS cost estimate, and the price to ship a 33 lb package from Austin to Fairbanks was 131.35. Austin to Spokane? 41.57. Austin to La Crosse? 28.66.

So, 'What gives' is it costs 3 times as much to ship something to Alaska as it does to ship it to Spokane.

The cost of shipping isnt recovered in the price of the product. Not even close. We just make far less margin. The assumption is that all homebrew stores make the same amount of margin, so , "they have to make it up somewhere". But that is false. We collect only about 15% of the shipping we pay.

We are about to launch 20 $20 kits for our 20th anniversary. Lowest price kits and free shipping if your order is over $100. A definate loss leader to bring you guys a great deal.

Forrest

I just did a UPS cost estimate, and the price to ship a 33 lb package from Austin to Fairbanks was 131.35. Austin to Spokane? 41.57. Austin to La Crosse? 28.66.

So, 'What gives' is it costs 3 times as much to ship something to Alaska as it does to ship it to Spokane.
Yep, I checked the freight cost, too. It does actually cost more to ship to Alaska. Here's the gripe. I checked what it would cost in freight if I ordered a brew bucket and a 5 gal BB in one order. If I live in Spokane for example, my freight is: Midwest $12.23, AHB $7.99, NB $7.99. Because I live in Alaska, my freight is: MW $40.50, AHB $79.46, NB $202.14 (WOW!). While it does cost more to ship to Alaska, how does a supplier justify eating $300 for one client while charging the next client (who lives in the United States, by the way) for freight? I am stuck; I have to order from somebody. I don't see why the supplier isn't able to offer some type of discounted rate, if not the same rate that is charged to everyone else. Cheez, you act like I live in another country. By the way, it does cost more to ship to Spokane than to LaCross, a little over 2 times as much, and the customer in Spokane still reaps the benefits of free or flat rate freight. I guess that's "what gives." (I find tone so hard to convey in txt, don't you?)

Yep, I checked the freight cost, too. It does actually cost more to ship to Alaska. Here's the gripe. I checked what it would cost in freight if I ordered a brew bucket and a 5 gal BB in one order. If I live in Spokane for example, my freight is: Midwest $12.23, AHB $7.99, NB $7.99. Because I live in Alaska, my freight is: MW $40.50, AHB $79.46, NB $202.14 (WOW!). While it does cost more to ship to Alaska, how does a supplier justify eating $300 for one client while charging the next client (who lives in the United States, by the way) for freight? I am stuck; I have to order from somebody. I don't see why the supplier isn't able to offer some type of discounted rate, if not the same rate that is charged to everyone else. Cheez, you act like I live in another country. By the way, it does cost more to ship to Spokane than to LaCross, a little over 2 times as much, and the customer in Spokane still reaps the benefits of free or flat rate freight. I guess that's "what gives." (I find tone so hard to convey in txt, don't you?)

My guess would be that the supplier is eating a huge shipping charge because that's what they promised on their website (free shipping on orders in the con us over $100). That's not what they are doing on every order, though. If they gave free shipping to AK, they'd be eating a huge cost on every order to AK. (How about a $100 order that comes to 33 lbs and costs $130 to ship?)

Honestly, I don't see what all the bs about 'part of the United States' is. If you are shipping ground, your packages have to go THROUGH another country to get to you. If you go by air, it's already expensive as hell, plus they have to fly 2-3 times as far as regular shipments.

Here's another way to think of it. I priced up the same items from Midwest. Shipped from St Paul to La Crosse, it would cost me 10.00 the cheapest way (priority mail was actually 14, I'm assuming the 'home delivery' is UPS). That's 140 miles, so about 7 cents a mile. Shipping to fairbanks was 40.50, and that's over 3000 miles, so about 1.3 cents a mile. Sounds like Midwest is the place you should order from...

Also, don't forget that a lot of the homebrew suppliers are shipping their products out using some form of expedited shipping so that things like liquid yeast don't spend 2-3 weeks roasting in the heat (which, I think, is the primary reason they aren't using priority mail, where the only guarantee you can get about delivery is it WON'T be swift). For example, that 202.14 charge from Northern Brewer is Fedex 2 day.

We are about to launch 20 $20 kits for our 20th anniversary. Lowest price kits and free shipping if your order is over $100. A definate loss leader to bring you guys a great deal.

Forrest

I might have to finally place an order with you guys. I have been eying up some of your kits for a while but haven't had the cash to lay down.

To be honest even if you guys were equal or a little better on price I would go with Midwest or Northern Brewer instead because of their proximity. I get stuff within 2-3 days of ordering with them.

I have ordered from Midwest and Northern Brewer.

NB has $7.95 fixed rate shipping and Midwest does not.

Midwest is a little cheaper and overall with shipping is probably slightly less than NB.

Midwest takes longer to ship to me. By a few days.

If I don't buy locally, I go with NB.

I've been buying from Midwest Supplies, NorthernBrewer, and MoreBeer.

Midwest has noticeably cheaper prices than NB, but higher shipping charges -so far it comes out about even for me (shipping to CA). MoreBeer is local, so I just pick stuff up in-store, but their prices are significantly higher than either Midwest or NB.

We are about to launch 20 $20 kits for our 20th anniversary. Lowest price kits and free shipping if your order is over $100.
Forrest

I've only brewed once and I really want to try your Sierra Nevada and Bell's 2 hearted...but I may wait to get some of these as well...when will you be launching this promo?

Back