A few equipment questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronik

Reaction score
Have a chance to stop by a HBS tomorrow on my way home from work, was thinkin of gettin one more fermenter and possibly some other things you guys think I might need.

Here is a list of what I have so far:

1 x 4 gal. Brew Kettle
1 x 6 or 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy (havent measured)
1 x 6 gal. Bucket with Spigot
1 x 6 gal. old bucket (use for sterlizing and storing in)

1 Long spoon
1 Funnel
2 Bottle brushes
5 ft of tubing
1 tube used for bottling I think, goes on the end of the tubing with a push valve on the end. name? lol
1 Graduated cylinder
1 Capper

Hydrometer & Thermometer

Eventually I will get a bigger Kettle but I think it works fine now for extract w/ spec. grains I might be pushin it with a Partial Mash though.

So tomorrow I think I will get a 6 gal. BB (I rather get glass but I am on a budget lol), a syphon starter, and more caps. Sound about right?

Yec'hed mat!!

startsan, PBW, prime sugar, irish mosh
I know this is not equipment, but things you always need.

I would buy the bucket for cleaning, funnel and the tubing at a hardware store. Much much cheaper. I can get 10' of tubing for $2 at Menards. Spray bottle, distilled water and Star San. I would buy the first 2 at the hardware store as well.

1 tube used for bottling I think, goes on the end of the tubing with a push valve on the end. name?

Bottle filler.

I got all the necessary sanitizing products to last me awhile. I might of phrased it wrong but all the stuff I listed is what I already have. So I think I should be in pretty good shape, just want to be able to get a brew cycle goin..

lol ah a Bottle Filler, genius

No better way to figure out what you need than to start with all the basic stuff, give it a go at brewing, and then you'll know what else you need (or want) and what you just don't use. My $0.02.

Airlocks, stoppers. Can't have too many. Also a thermo-strip for each carboy.

At the hardware store, get a paint strainer bag, and use it for brew-in-a-bag partial mashes. Your kettle is plenty big for that.

Back