Can I bottle my beer this fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I know this is a super rookie question and I shouldn't bottle this quick, but I'm trying to bottle before I go out of town, lol. I've got a APA thats been in the primary for 11 days. Its FG is spot on at 1.013 and the sample tasted pretty decent. Can I bottle this beer now without risking too many quality issues? I usually run 21 to 28 day primaries before bottling but special circumstances is forcing me to try to get this one bottled early. Thanks for any info on the matter.

If you're at your FG and stable you can bottle without much risk of bottle bombs, but quality wise? Not so much.

I rushed a beer like that for this year's NHC and really got marked down due to diacetyl. Letting the beer sit will allow the yeast to clean up byproducts like diacetyl and other things.

Why rush it? You need to get out of town, but you're beer isn't going anywhere. I'd suggest that you leave it alone, bottle when you get home and enjoy better beer. No reason to save yourself a day and then have a couple weeks of less than great beer to drink.

If you're at your FG and stable you can bottle without much risk of bottle bombs, but quality wise? Not so much.

I rushed a beer like that for this year's NHC and really got marked down due to diacetyl.

When I tasted the hydro sample there wasn't any diacetyl flavors. If I do bottle early am I still at a diacetyl risk even though there is no apparent diacetyl flavors right now?

Maybe, maybe not. Why do you have to bottle it before leaving town? Are you leaving for months or something?

Maybe, maybe not. Why do you have to bottle it before leaving town? Are you leaving for months or something?

Yea its going to be a 8-10 week job that I have to go to. I've got away with 60 day primaries before, but didn't want this one to go that long, lol. Thanks for the info, not sure if I want to chance the long primary or the super short primary.

Hmm... this is a toughie... Anytime I have the choice of bottling (or racking or anything) early or late, late is always the better answer... but with an APA, aroma is so important and an extra long time in the fermenter might cause you to loose a bit.

Since you know it's going to be a while before you open it, it'll have extra time to bottle condition before you get to try any. It'll probably be fine to bottle then.

Hmm... this is a toughie... Anytime I have the choice of bottling (or racking or anything) early or late, late is always the better answer... but with an APA, aroma is so important and an extra long time in the fermenter might cause you to loose a bit.

Since you know it's going to be a while before you open it, it'll have extra time to bottle condition before you get to try any. It'll probably be fine to bottle then.

Yea this beer had 2oz. of crystal hops at flameout, I'd bet alot of that flavor/aroma would be gone on that long of a primary. Thanks alot for the info.

Yeah, I thought he was leaving for a week or two and was just wanting to rush it. 2 months? Bottle it up and stick it in a warm closet. :mug:

thats what I'm probaly going to do, I just hope its done fermenting. I've only taken the one FG measurement today, but its right on target.

Back