Versatile Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a few rhizomes within the next week or two, probably 2 or 3 at most, and I was wondering what are a few hops that are used in a good amount of recipes. I have heard Cascade hops are pretty versatile, and easy to grow so those would probably be one of my selections.

Any other recomendations? I don't want to have a full plant full of hops only to be used for 2 different recipes.

cascades are both easy to grow and used in a lot of beers. You could try centennial or if you want to get away from the American C hops, try a lower alpha English like a golding of some sort or german like Perle or magnum.

I really depends on what kind of beer you like, you are going to use them I take it right?

So what kind of beers do you like?

Yeah I'd be using them. I like full body and flavored beers but nothing too overpowering mostly, like IPAs, I do like Heffe's, Belgian Ale's, not so much stouts. I don't really like creamy flavored beers like Newcastle.

I'd pretty much be open to anything, but preferably I like the fuller beers, but I wouldn't mind brewing some light lagers or american ales/lagers for the summertime.

The only hops I've used so far in brewing beers have been liberty, challenger, northern brewer, and cascades. All between 6-8% alpha acid.

I would say, a good variety would be

chinook for your bittering or even late additions and dry hop, I love the stuff
sterling for clean bittering of wheat or belgians
zeus/columbus/tomahawk nice flavor and bittering for IPAs
nugget are very easy to grow as well and tollerate mildew well

and of course your cascade. One question though, most people are out of everything except for cascade/willamette/zues maybe, you should get these soon.

Thanks for the advice. I've had something like gold nuggets I think suggested to me before, so I'll look into those. I live in Boston and we just had snow flurries last weekend, so it's not safe for me to plant anything yet, outside anyways.

I'll try ordering some by the end of this week, hopefully Friday when I get paid lol.

I've gone and bought 1 rhizome of Cascade hops and 1 rhizome of Mt. Hood, so I should be getting them within 5-7 business day, so hopefully sometime late next week.

I'm excited, as this is my first time attempting to grow hops. Both hops are said to be disease resistant with good vigor and good yields. Around 5-8% alpha acid for both of them, and seem to be compatable with many varieties, as the Mt. Hood's are also close relatives to many other hops.

Anyone on here with experience with these hops?

Latest posts

Back