Kolsch Yeast Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did two all grain batches in the past two days, one was a Kolsch and the other is Blonde that I am using the same yeast in. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch in both. According to Wyeast it has a range of 56-70 degree's F. I normally ferment Ale at 65F but after reading about the yeast having lager like qualities I decided to try it. I cranked the chest down to 58 degrees and they are both setting in the fermentor now a steady 58F.

My question is does anyone have experience with this yeast?
Is there any noticable difference in taste between 56 and 65 degree's?

My plan is to lager both of them for a couple months after I move them to a bright tank in a couple weeks. I have read that it really improves the Kolsch so I thought I would try a Blonde at the same time.

This is my first try at a Kolsch, any thoughts?

yep, use that yeast for any kolsch i made. if you ferment it warmer you get more esters and phenols. kolsch is supposed to be a really clean tasting beer, hence the use of a yeast strain that is technically an ale, but acts like a lager in many respects. keep it cool to get a good kolsch that's true to style (no bubblegum or fruit esters, no clove phenols).

I am using this yeast on a pseudo lager. I was off in my ferment temps a little. Mine were around 62-63, and I wanted 60, but I figured it should be close. In 6 weeks I can tell you how lager-ish the yeast really is.

58-60F is perfect for the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast strain. I've used this many times, and have never been disappointed with the results when fermenting at 58F. After fermentation is finished, lager for 4-6 weeks @ 37F and you'll have a very nice beer. It's one of the most popular on tap at my house!

I just finished and racked my Henry's Clone done with Wyeast 2565 into a keg to begin a 4-week lagering, though I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep the bride off of the tap that long. As I told her, the last pint will be the tastiest one, since it's the only pint that will have actually conditioned for four weeks. I fermented this batch in the low 60's. I am pretty pleased with the taste of the hydro samples, so we'll see how it tastes chilled down and carbonated.

Interestingly, though Henry's claims their beer is a Pale Ale, I hear that it's fermented with the same lager strain that they use for all of their beers. Given that, I figured either I could use a Kolsch yeast or go Anchor-style and try it with a lager yeast at warmer temps. This first attempt, I went with the Kolsch, and if I do it again, I might try the San Francisco Lager strain (Wyeast 2112).

Thanks for the replies,

Both batches have already developed a very nice krausen on top and the airlocks are rockin so I guess so far so good. The Kolsch is 58 degree's and the Blonde is 59 degree's, ambient temp in my fermentor is 56F.

I have been reading about this yeast having lager like qualities so I decided to try it in a Blonde that I keep on tap all the time. I have never had a Kolsch in my life so I decided what the heck i'll brew one when I do the blonde so they can ferment and age together.

I have been concerned about complete attenuation at these temps but I guess Wyeast wouldn't publish 56F if it wouldn't work. I also read that a Kolsch does not age well and begins to oxidize with time. But I guess this is true with most low alcohol light beers.

i had no attenuation problems.

the one thing i'll say is that you won't have that hint of sulphur that a typical lager will have, and that'll be tasted in the final beer. it'll be a really clean ale.

kolsch shouldn't oxidize any faster than another beer. however because it is lower alcohol, not highly hopped, and not a terribly complex malt profile, it should hit its peak flavor at a young age. the longer it sits the more flavor it'll lose, like a wit or a hefe. it doesn't need to age long like a porter or stout.

I have used the White Labs Kolsch yeast fermented at 60*F and have had NO problems with attenuation.

I took a peak and both brews have a very nice layer of Krausen and are very active. I think they will be fine. I cant wait to try them in a couple months I bet they will be great.

First Kolsch I will have ever had, anyone know of a commercial one. I have never seen one on the shelves before.

Thanks for the replies, I will let you know how they turn out.

Big Boss Brewery (North Carolina) has an Avenging Angel Kolsch that is rather good, though I prefer the Monkey Bizz-ness rustic belgian farmhouse ale.

off the topic, i have a Kolsch and a Stout both of which are going to be ready in a week. my problem is which one do i keg?? i can only keg one and bottle the other, which one would benifit from the bottle/keg? obviously the one i keg i will be drinking sooner, so with that being said, would the stout benifit in the bottle since it will condition longer?? however it is a dry stout/guiness clone so it doesn't need a long conditioning period, right?

I would keg the Kolsch and bottle the stout. I have kegged stouts and have one on tap right now but I really like bottle conditioned stouts. I think you will be very pleased if you put the stout in bottles and give it a few more weeks. I promise the longer you can keep yourself away from it the better it will be.

As for the Kolsch this is my first rodeo but have read they are better after lagered for a short while and enjoyed young so I am going to keg mine.

Good luck

another opinion, the stout has stabilized at 1.022 for the last 4 days, what would you do. i was considering placing it under my house at 55-61 degrees for a couple weeks, or should i just bottle it and let it condition in the bottles for a few weeks?

How old is the Stout now?

I usually leave mine in primary for at least two weeks and then I like to move to a bright tank to bulk age for a month. Then I bottle or keg, stout is the only beer I carb with sugar in the keg, I put in the priming sugar purge the keg with CO2 and then I put 25 pounds on it just to seal it. Either way I leave it at room temp for no less than three weeks and then start slippin one a week in the fridge and when I am happy I chill them all.

I just like the way it turns out carbed with sugar better than carbed with CO2, it still has the taste of a bottled conditioned beer even in the keg.

Stout is the one beer I never rush. From past experience the last one you drink is always the best one.

Just my opinion, wrong or right it is how I like to do Stouts now. I have in the past left a stout in primary for three weeks stuck it right in the keg, force carbed and was drinking it a month.

have read they are better after lagered for a short while and enjoyed young so I am going to keg mine.

All of my kolsch's tasted fantastic young, but the only issue was clarity as the kolsch strain is a notoriously slow flocculator. If you don't care much about clarity, drink it as soon as you want IMO. :)

All of my kolsch's tasted fantastic young, but the only issue was clarity as the kolsch strain is a notoriously slow flocculator. If you don't care much about clarity, drink it as soon as you want IMO.

Thanks,
I am going to lager a month and keg it. Seeing how I have never made a Kolsch all of my beer drinking buddies including myself are all chomping at the bit to get our hands on it so I am sure it will go young. I have been reading it is a great summer beer, I hope it is one I like I need a few more warm weather brews. I don't really worry to much about clarity if it tastes good is all that matters to me. I actually kind of like a little murk in the beer, thats why I homebrew. :mug:

Just an update I was concerned about attenuation at 56 degrees, no need to be. I pulled a hydro sample of both this morning. The Kolsch started at 1.048 and has finished at 1.010 and the Blonde started at 1.040 and has finished at 1.007. Let both samples warm to 60 degree's before checking them.

I transfered them both and I am going to lager for a month. I think the hard part is going to be hiding it from myself after it is ready.

I drank both the hydro samples and they were very good. I am thinking 10 gallon batches next time.

After a too quick lagering phase I cracked some of my pilsners made w/ the kolsch yeast last night. I didn't end up adding gelatin, so they were definately too cloudy. I fermented around 63 I believe and I'd say it did a decent job imitating a lager. It didn't have the crispest, dryest finish, but not bad for a ghetto lager.

I've been tasting my beer made with the Wyeast 2565 at various intervals, and I am not really that impressed with my results. The beer is drinkable, but there are too many esters and not enough crispness - it has way too much ale body, frankly. I would've been just as fine using Nottingham at a low temperature.

Now, understand that I fermented at 62-65 with the Kolsch yeast, so perhaps that's the important lesson. This Kolsch yeast may do fine in the upper 50's, and that may be the way to get the crispness that everyone talks about. But again, Nottingham can do the same thing down to 57*F, so that makes me less impressed with the Wyeast 2565.

It has cleared to absolutely crystal clear in the five weeks since brew day, so there is that to report.

I've been tasting my beer made with the Wyeast 2565 at various intervals, and I am not really that impressed with my results. The beer is drinkable, but there are too many esters and not enough crispness - it has way too much ale body, frankly. I would've been just as fine using Nottingham at a low temperature.

Now, understand that I fermented at 62-65 with the Kolsch yeast, so perhaps that's the important lesson. This Kolsch yeast may do fine in the upper 50's, and that may be the way to get the crispness that everyone talks about. But again, Nottingham can do the same thing down to 57*F, so that makes me less impressed with the Wyeast 2565.

It has cleared to absolutely crystal in the last four weeks, so there is that to report.

I feel the same way when I evaluated mine. I thought, hmm, could have just used Notty and it still would have been clearer.

But, this batch really does taste good which I care more about than making a genuine lager-style beer.

I feel the same way when I evaluated mine. I thought, hmm, could have just used Notty and it still would have been clearer.

But, this batch really does taste good which I care more about than making a genuine lager-style beer.

What temp did you ferment at?

Back