NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooooo... Clampers. You are going to be busy.

Congrats on opening!

If the CLAMPERS are still like they were in the late 70's get a large insurance policy for your new brewery business. I went to a few fellow wiremen Clamper locations that went out of control. They are toned down these days i've been told. Best part many CHP and cops are Clampers.
Best of luck all the more I read the more I have to head down your direction and have some suds. I'm closer than fellow brewer from Berkeley. Congrats and a great success, sounds like that 7 barrel system will be needed soon.

Here are a few pics of the new shop. I'll take more once the paper is off the front window.

View from the front entrance with carpet torn up and tile put down.
New shop1.JPG

View from the back of the shop.
New Shop 2.JPG

View from the front after I glued down the carpet and cut off the rest.
New Shop 3.JPG

Very impressive! I am literally right behind you in terms of going pro. Just went under contract for the land today.

Hopefully mine will turn out half as nice as yours!

Cheers!

tile doesnt look too bad, cant wait for you to open up, working up excuses to tell the GF on why we need to head over the Mariposa, like I really need one anyway

It really does look nice. I'm starting to visualize some glimmering serving tanks in there.

It really does look nice. I'm starting to visualize some glimmering serving tanks in there.

Some day that would be nice. I was thinking that since I'm in a Gold Rush town, I might turn my section into an old time Saloon and dress in an 1850's bartender outfit. ;) Find a CD that has Honky Tonk piano music on it.

I haven't come up with any catchy names yet.

Hey there,
My first post. Yahoo! Great board.

Just my two cents: Beer geeks don't care too much about what a beer is called (I mean the actual name, rather than the style designation), but my observation is that a clever/memorable name goes a long way with the general beer-drinking public. That goes for both the name of your brewery, and the name of each beer.

Anyway, rock on! This is a great story.

Hey there,
My first post. Yahoo! Great board.

Just my two cents: Beer geeks don't care too much about what a beer is called (I mean the actual name, rather than the style designation), but my observation is that a clever/memorable name goes a long way with the general beer-drinking public. That goes for both the name of your brewery, and the name of each beer.

Anyway, rock on! This is a great story.

Thanks and I'll keep that in mind. :mug:

So yesterday I ripped up carpet so my brother could put down tile. Today he's putting down tile and he gets a note that there's a restaurant in the town over that wants to sample my beer. Then another person stops by from a restaurant across the street and they want to sample my beer. Then another small bar wants to carry my beer and a "mens organization" called "The Clampers" (Google it) are also interested in my beer. HOLY MALT BEVERAGE Batman!!! I had no idea this town was so thirsty.

Awsome! as I sit here at my job an hour away from my family this gives me hope. Congrats!

Some day that would be nice. I was thinking that since I'm in a Gold Rush town, I might turn my section into an old time Saloon and dress in an 1850's bartender outfit. ;) Find a CD that has Honky Tonk piano music on it.

Make like Gun Smoke with Sam, Miss Kitty, Doc, Oh Sam had a sawed off behind the bar. Ya get my drift and the Clampers would love the era. You would need spitoons, no spitting on the floor bar rules and the brass foot rail at the bar. My wife found a spitoon for me from the 1800's, Gold Hill Hotel (?) I recall placed in safe storage from a now ghost town.
Thanks for your addy and all the best with your brewing adventures. Expanding to 7 barrels soon I bet, you go Hoss.

Me liked Mongo when he punched out that horse, I die laughing every time I see that part of the movie.

My friend purchased a 1800's bar that's almost 16' long from an old bar in Sonora 29 years ago plus added a very old brass cash register that sets at one end looking great. I picked up one complete ships telegraph with pedistal 100% complete plus one with just the stub below the dials. This one was mounted to a bar top with both levers linked to rods out the back to taps. Sounds like your headed for the old gold country look not nautical.

I just have to say, fire up the 7 barrel system when ever you need too.
You just may need to go from part time to full time because you public has called you out!

Personally I want to see a Miss Kitty serving the beer, don't care what the brewer looks like or what his social skills are. I just want a good beer that I can't buy at a local store.
Work on that story behind the beer, the name is second behind that. People will always forget a name, but the story will stick with them.
With a tag like HBHoss - I'm sure you can find a Kitty around. :)
Live the dream for us working suckers!

A lot of truth in that. I was at a seminar awhile back where the presentor asked how many people can name seven of the supreme court justices? No one raised their hand. Then she asked how many people can name all of the seven dwarfs? Most everyone raised their hand. She then said the reason behind this is that the seven dwarfs have a better story. The statistics show if you have a story behind what you do.... it will sell.

I just have to say, fire up the 7 barrel system when ever you need too.
You just may need to go from part time to full time because you public has called you out!

Personally I want to see a Miss Kitty serving the beer, don't care what the brewer looks like or what his social skills are. I just want a good beer that I can't buy at a local store.
Work on that story behind the beer, the name is second behind that. People will always forget a name, but the story will stick with them.
With a tag like HBHoss - I'm sure you can find a Kitty around. :)
Live the dream for us working suckers!

A lot of truth in that. I was at a seminar awhile back where the presentor asked how many people can name seven of the supreme court justices? No one raised their hand. Then she asked how many people can name all of the seven dwarfs? Most everyone raised their hand. She then said the reason behind this is that the seven dwarfs have a better story. The statistics show if you have a story behind what you do.... it will sell.

Well I have spent the last year or two tracing my family history and it turns out that my Grandfather, who was born in England, married into the Murray clan of Scotland. The Murray clan goes way back to the beginning of Scottish history. Murray (Moray) was second in command to William Wallace. Anyway, the current head of the Murray clan, and distant relative, is a Lord Athol. So people can tell there friends that an Athol poured their beer in Mariposa. :D And also the first Murray Castle was Castle Dufus. So not only was he an Athol, but he came from Castle Dufus. :D

If the CLAMPERS are still like they were in the late 70's get a large insurance policy for your new brewery business. I went to a few fellow wiremen Clamper locations that went out of control. They are toned down these days i've been told. Best part many CHP and cops are Clampers.

Give him the CLAMPS!!!

clamps.jpg

What...no Festus with his mule, Ruth, tied up to the hitchin post outside?

Damn I forgot about the Haggens, so sad James Arness is the only one alive and that his real last name should be Aursnes like his German grandfathers last name but he changed it when he went thru Ellis island. My dad and grandparents went thru Ellis island in 1924. We kept our German last name and proud of it. Best one is Peter Graves is James Arness brother. What was the towns drunk name? No not our HBT member HBHoss either. damn you must be old. Back to the OP.

Damn I forgot about the Haggens, so sad James Arness is the only one alive and that his real last name should be Aursnes like his German grandfathers last name but he changed it when he went thru Ellis island. My dad and grandparents went thru Ellis island in 1924. We kept our German last name and proud of it. Best one is Peter Graves is James Arness brother. What was the towns drunk name? No not our HBT member HBHoss either. damn you must be old. Back to the OP.

I'm sure we have a few town drunks, I just don't know their names. Gunsmoke was my 8th grade science teacher's favorite show. He used to use examples from the show in his lectures.
Monday is construction day in the shop. I'll be sure to take pictures and post them.

You go Scott, all the best with your hobby / business.
Question, you get any snow at all in Mariposa? Were being
hammered by a storm as I type as well the passes closed
with snow falling. Islands still afloat above water.

You go Scott, all the best with your hobby / business.
Question, you get any snow at all in Mariposa? Were being
hammered by a storm as I type as well the passes closed
with snow falling. Islands still afloat above water.

Not much snow but we're supposed to get some Monday.

Finally sat down and read this thread Hoss. Very inspiring! You mention several times about the size of your batches for startup. One story that I just finished reading kept flashing into my mind. Dogfish Head started out with 5 gallon batches, and what are they now? somewhere around 10,000 bbls! His book "Brewing Up a Business" is an excellent read for many specifics in the growth of a brewery. In his case, he started out with just a brewpub and now has one of the larger microbrews in the US after 15 years in the biz.

Another comment I had was on the IRS issue of time limit for profit. I believe this misconception comes from the relatively recent rule ('90s I think) that you can no longer use one business as a write off for another. In other words, if you already have one business in place, and then start a brewery, there is a time limit on how long you can write of the loss from the second business. You can continue that second biz as long as you wish (or can manage) without 'showing' a profit. Just can't utilize the losses after what I thought was 3 years... maybe it is 5?!.

But it's great to see that you have a 'demand' for your beers... marketing can be the most critical aspect of a biz like this, so you've already got a great start.

We're seeing a similar response in our area, with one hotel and one retailer already interested in product. Might be a case of 'careful what you wish for' in our situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't make it to the shop on Monday, too much snow and ice. Hoping it's all cleared up by tomorrow so we can get to work. I'm still planning on taking pictures and posting them.

Finally sat down and read this thread Hoss. Very inspiring! You mention several times about the size of your batches for startup. One story that I just finished reading kept flashing into my mind. Dogfish Head started out with 5 gallon batches, and what are they now? somewhere around 10,000 bbls! His book "Brewing Up a Business" is an excellent read for many specifics in the growth of a brewery. In his case, he started out with just a brewpub and now has one of the larger microbrews in the US after 15 years in the biz.

Another comment I had was on the IRS issue of time limit for profit. I believe this misconception comes from the relatively recent rule ('90s I think) that you can no longer use one business as a write off for another. In other words, if you already have one business in place, and then start a brewery, there is a time limit on how long you can write of the loss from the second business. You can continue that second biz as long as you wish (or can manage) without 'showing' a profit. Just can't utilize the losses after what I thought was 3 years... maybe it is 5?!.

But it's great to see that you have a 'demand' for your beers... marketing can be the most critical aspect of a biz like this, so you've already got a great start.

We're seeing a similar response in our area, with one hotel and one retailer already interested in product. Might be a case of 'careful what you wish for' in our situation!

I have read some articles from the Dogfish and it is a good read.

The 5 year thing could be old info that I've had stuck in my mind for some reason. I'm hoping to show a profit sooner than 5 years anyway.

I really did go into this with just a low expectation that I would sell some beer to tourists and cover my costs but then I heard how disappointed people were in the lack of a good local brew. Now I just have to come through with a product they like and can consistently produce.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple of pics of the shop.

Not much has changed but this is a shot from across the street.
Outside of shop.JPG

This shows where I'll be in relation to my brother who will be to the left of the picture and another person selling almond rocka will be at the end.
Shop.JPG

Looks like you are right next to the local newspaper. Those reporters could write a nice review if they were treated well;) ;)

Back