Surly Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBDrinker008

Reaction score
Its awesome. Those of you in MN know what I am talking about. I prefer the Furious above all others but have heard many of my friends who like Bender. And now the 16-grit is on tap around town which just adds to the greatness. Am I off my rocker or do any of you agree? Thoughts?

I have heard their beers are great - never had the pleasure. Come late May I will be in IA and looking for Furious specifically.

I hope you're not off your rocker.. I'm about to brew up a Furious clone and I'm really looking forward to how it comes out. I've only heard good things about Surly. Too bad they don't ship to NY, I'd like to try some.

I got toasted on 16-grit at brewfest in superior, wi a couple weeks ago. Good stuff, alcohol content a bit much for heavy drinking at 4pm though ;).

Dougan-Ive been to that brewfest a few times and I think you were the only person worried about the alcohol content at that place. My experience has shown that everyone at that place is there to get hammered.

dap-If the clone you are talking about is Ferocious from Midwest you wont be disapointed. My roomate brewed up the extract kit of that and it was pretty close. It was develped with help of the Surly brewers.

As a fellow Minnesotan, I too can attest that Surly makes great beer. And for those that don't know, they can in pints.

633361018146910904.JPG

I tried some Surly Furious at a Mad Zymurgist meeting. One of our members brought some back from a business trip.

I would kill to have that here in California.
With that said, future plans include a Furious Inspired brew.

dap-If the clone you are talking about is Ferocious from Midwest you wont be disapointed. My roomate brewed up the extract kit of that and it was pretty close. It was develped with help of the Surly brewers.

It is! I'm really looking forward to brewing it. It has all of the hop combos I've wanted to make my own recipe from. Hopefully this comes out great and I have some inspiration for my first AG brew in the future.

I debated not posting this, since most people will disagree but I live within 30 minutes of the brewery and haven't been too impressed with it yet.

I think they make fine beers but the loyalty they've acquired so fast just blows my mind. I do drink their stuff...quite happily, but my point is that the awesome bar I go to has over 50 craft beers on tap and I'd prefer to try something new.

Like I said, I do like their beer, I just think a lot of people try their beer because of the perception of "hipness" and then they don't try new stuff. It's the PBR Tallboy for people with taste. I'm just not that big of fan of skinny jean hipsters :p

I do think we're pretty set with awesome breweries here in the Twin Cities. Between Surly, Summit and Flat Earth Brewing (one of my favorites) we always have an interesting choice of local brew.

I'm furious...2 months in MN and I couldn't find any Surly beers!! People were looking at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about it!!

I just think a lot of people try their beer because of the perception of "hipness" and then they don't try new stuff.

I very much agree. We have a friend that is all Surly and would take a bullet for them etc but has no real reason why. The tour is fun and the beer isn't bad but it never hurts to expand your horizons as well.

What is exciting is this friend just got a home brew kit for the holidays and is getting ready to brew his first - you can just see the excitement. Of course he is already looking at 10 bbl systems online and wanting to expand.......

I think Surly is great. If I could get Furious and Coffee Bender here I would drink it by the metric **** ton.

I've only had the pleasure of Furious and Darkness, and IMO they are both great beers. Furious is a nice strong over hopped IPA, and Darkness might be the best RIS I've ever had. Probably the most drinkable at least.

Latest posts

Back