Victory - Hop Wallop recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow 278 IBU.

Is Pliny on par with the hop flavor of Hop Wallop?

axlrose. Consider making your signature font smaller, it is distracting when trying to read your posts.

Good luck on your IPA. Sometime this year I'm going to attempt a clone of Port Brewing's Hop15 (or at least as close as I can get, as there isn't a clone recipe anywhere).

Hop Wallop is very different then Pliny. Pliny is not nearly as bitter at hop wallop and hop wallop is not nearly as aromatic and flavorful as pliny.

This is so weird. I'm in this thread and I have no recollection of the discussion at all.

I like both Pliny and Hop Wallop. But it is like saying I like Blondes and Asians. Yes, they are both women but . . .

I am still looking for a Hop Wallop recipe if anyone has come across one. I would be happy with a good rundown of the hops used since I have not had a beer with a similar combo of hop flavors.

You think they'd be so kind as to give a recipe if I emailed them?

If they don't we could start emailing them with concerns about our allergies. "Excuse me, but I am allergic to Simcoe hops, can I drink your Hop Wallop beer?" Between all of us we should be able to get their hop bill with a process of elimination.

The guys at Victory are very helpful and I am sure that if you call or email you will get a response. I am going up this weekend and I will ask to speak with a brewmaster. I am good friends with a waiter up there if the brewmaster wont tell im sure he will ;)

Anyone get a chance to try the the Cask Conditioned Oaked Hop Wallop?
:p
All I could say after drinking the pint was...WOWWWWWWW! Best beer I have ever had!!

ooh ooh orangeandblue302!

could you also ask about a clone for the old horizontal barleywine? i really enjoyed that. i'm also emailing right now, but just in case.

sorry for threadjack.

Wish me Luck. Maybe I will start a mini thread somewhere. I feel as though I jacked this thread but if I produce I am sure no one will mind.

You're right.

I am also having beers with the brewmaster from there on Friday night. Maybe I'll get the chance to grill him for info.

Spending the day with Randy Mosher on Tuesday too. If anybody can get a recipe out of a brewery, he can.

dude if i cant be up fri night its saturday for sure. Work has been super busy the last like two weeks.

sorry if im rubbing it in I dont mean to tred on anyone who is in trying times (I am in the shipping businnes)

But I say lets grill them LOL....we can become superpowers :evil smirk:

you're....spending...the day with...Sir Mosher...? Be my friend, please?

;) Its Beer Week in Philly and I'm taking a class with Randy. Looking forward to it.

The Victory guy is doing a "Meet the Brewer" at a local pub.

i got an email response to my question about an old horizontal clone. my email:

Hi Matt,

I loved this year's Old Horizontal, and everyone else must have too because I can't find it anywhere anymore! I'd like to try to brew a version up myself but haven't found a clone recipe for it anywhere. My system is all grain, five gallon batches, although with my barleywines I'm not against adding some extract to avoid super long boils. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could go about brewing a similar beer?

Cheers, thanks for all the good brews,

-John

and the response (not from matt):

Hi, John – Unfortunately, we don’t give out recipe information. However, I would suggest using a lot of American hops (such as cascade) and American ale yeast for fermentation. Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Tim

i can't blame them one bit for not giving the recipe away. it's a tough business and the recipe is a big part of what makes a beer great (not the only part, of course). at least they were nice about it and tried to give me some good hints to guide me along the way.

i've never made a clone recipe before and because of the cost involved i don't think i'll be attempting one here. but if anybody comes across one i'd be much obliged if you could send it my way!

I will see what I can get from my buddy up there. I should be going tonight but I will see what time I get out of work. I am very surprised that he wouldn't give you a hint but I think the hop information was a kind gesture.

Hmm

I'd like to get a hop suggestion for Hop Wallop out of them if I could.
Whatever it is they use in that beer, its exactly the hop flavor I'm looking for.

The guys at Victory are very helpful and I am sure that if you call or email you will get a response. I am going up this weekend and I will ask to speak with a brewmaster. I am good friends with a waiter up there if the brewmaster wont tell im sure he will ;)

Anyone get a chance to try the the Cask Conditioned Oaked Hop Wallop?
:p
All I could say after drinking the pint was...WOWWWWWWW! Best beer I have ever had!!

IMHO - Pliny is the sh#$. on tap all the better.
Hop Wallop is good, on cask it's very good.
But it's not Pliny.
\

IMHO - Pliny is the sh#$. on tap all the better.
Hop Wallop is good, on cask it's very good.
But it's not Pliny.
\

Cask Conditioned Oaked Hop Wallop. Im sure I will never ever get a chance to try that again. They only had one barrel and it was gone in two days.

They also had an Oaked St. Victorious....yum

Cask Conditioned Oaked Hop Wallop. Im sure I will never ever get a chance to try that again. They only had one barrel and it was gone in two days.

They also had an Oaked St. Victorious....yum

Yep, the oaked hop wallow was good.

I'm been drinking the Saison and using the 750 bottles for my Belgians.
If the St. Victorious came in the 750 ml bottles, I'd buy a case of that too.

bring out the dead .... LOL

Anyone know the hop types used in hop wallop? I'm very interested in adding them to my recipe..

-Pete

I'm sitting here drinking one for the first time and I started searching for info on the recipe because it tastes extremely similar to a beer I made earlir this year. It is so close its crazy. Obviously it's not the same beer but it is really similar in hop character.

My recipe was an extract brew with steeped grains.

5 lbs extra light DME
1 lb light DME (no reason other than that was what I had)
1/2 lb crystal 20
1/4 lb honey malt
1/4 lb rye malt

Hops: All pellets.
1/2 oz. Columbus 14.7% for 60 min.
1/2 oz. Glacier 5% for 15 min.
1 oz. Glacier 5% for 10 min. added whirl floc tab.
1 oz. Glacier 5% for 5 min.
1 oz. Glacier at flame out.
1 oz. Glacier dry hopped in secondary for 4 or 5 days.

Steeped grains at 154f for 30 min.
Added half of DME and boiled. Added the rest of the DME at the end of the boil
OG was 1.056

Fermented using wyeast 1056 at about 68f for a week the transferred to secondary and dry hopped.

FG was 1.010

Obviously hop wallop is a bigger beer but the taste from the glacier hops is really similar.

Back