bottling bucket mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a way to make bottling easier towards the bottom of the bucket. Let me know your thoughts on this:

What if I made a Z-shaped connection of copper pipe pieces and hammered down the bottom piece into a thin, wide mouth. In theory, this would suck the beer from the bottom instead of 1.5" from the bottom like bottling buckets are typically laid out. Would that work well with a bottling wand?

No, this would not work. A bottling bucket isn't 'sucking' the beer out, it is allowing gravity to do it's work--- effectively your beer is 'falling' out of the bottling bucket.

Your plan merely puts the mouth of the spigot lower but once the fluid reaches thelevel of the bottom of the spigot, the flow will stop.

kornkob said:
No, this would not work. A bottling bucket isn't 'sucking' the beer out, it is allowing gravity to do it's work--- effectively your beer is 'falling' out of the bottling bucket.

Your plan merely puts the mouth of the spigot lower but once the fluid reaches thelevel of the bottom of the spigot, the flow will stop.
not true.
the first few ounces of beer are 'falling' out of the bucket. but that fluid flow should start a siphon.
i think the plan would work.

Assuming of course that there is no trub on the bottom. This was the reason I thought that they drill the hole just a little bit from the bottom. I just lean the bucket towards the end to get more, but I can certainly see how this mod would be usefull. Assuming there is nothing on the bottom that you dont want of course.

I also believe that there is a siphon going on.... why.... well when you are filling the bottles and stop, there is still beer in the bottle filler right? Open the flow again and the siphon starts up again. You get to the end and you get that terrible sucking noise right?

You don't have a trub if you're using the bottling bucket for bottling post-secondary. Or at least you shouldn't. I bottle the whole kit-and-kaboodle. The siphon should work, but I suppose attaching the hardware to the bottling spigot may be the issue to work around. I'm not following the 'z' configuration, but it should essentially look like a keggle pickup.

I agree with all the comments made so far, but what's been overlooked is ... when you syphon your beer from the secondary your beer will fill up the bottling tube and filler wand, right?

What happens to that beer after you add your priming sugar?

I think whatever beer is in there will not be mixed with the sugar/DME.

Sounds like another sample to me...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I agree with all the comments made so far, but what's been overlooked is ... when you syphon your beer from the secondary your beer will fill up the bottling tube and filler wand, right?

What happens to that beer after you add your priming sugar?

I think whatever beer is in there will not be mixed with the sugar/DME.

Sounds like another sample to me...:D

wtf?! :confused:
did we eliminate the spigot at the bottom of the bottling bucket? i'm confused now. admittedly, i haven't had any beers yet today, so it might be my fault. :D

er..what's wrong with rolling up a towel, or using some other form of wedge to facilitate the "last drop" scenario.

By "Z" config, I mean a 90º elbow pointing down, a little tube to get thear the bottom, and a 90º elbow pointing away from the spigot, at the bottom.

I use a fresh bucket immediately prior to bottling, so there's no trub. I add my priming sugar to the fresh bucket, then siphon my beer on top and give it a slow and steady stir to mix in the priming sugar.

Imagine this is a view inside of the bottling bucket.

specialconnect.jpg

You know another thought that could be less hassle is to buy a bucket without a hole and drill one yourself lower.

Don't mind me...I'm just still remembering the nigthmare when I tried to make the fittings for the AG Mash/Turn cooler.......:fro:

Cheesefood said:
By "Z" config, I mean a 90º elbow pointing down, a little tube to get thear the bottom, and a 90º elbow pointing away from the spigot, at the bottom.

I use a fresh bucket immediately prior to bottling, so there's no trub. I add my priming sugar to the fresh bucket, then siphon my beer on top and give it a slow and steady stir to mix in the priming sugar.

Imagine this is a view inside of the bottling bucket.

specialconnect.jpg
Looks like a good idea to me.

OR

after the gurgle of death
pinch hose
place racking can in mouth
suck & chug till you can't stand it
works for me and better than a hydrometer

jldesign said:
OR

pinch hose

I just pick the whole shebang up and angle it so as to get just about every drop out. Making a contraption like described seems like its just more crap to sanitize. Im sure it would work though, but i dont see whats so difficult about picking up a nearly empty plastic bucket that weighs less then 5 pounds.

jldesign said:
OR

pinch hose

You know, dirty talk like that makes me question whether or not I'll care that you're a dude.

Your design will work, however, why not just prop up the back of your bucket or invite some supermodels over to hold it up for you when you get to the bottom? Er.....a hot friend?

:drunk:

Back