PID controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this helps and fits your needs.

P-J

Totally helps. A little more complicated than what I drew up, but I guessing that the added fuses and so on are good additions. Hopefully this is something I can wire up without having to solder any of the connections.

P-J,
When building off of your diagram, when a wire intersects another one (of the same color and you designate it with a little dot) , does that just mean I bring both wires to the same slot on the terminal block?

Sorry for the totally newb question and threadjack.

PJ,
Have you designed a 3 kettle system with PID's and RTD's on the MLT and HLT and just a switch for the BK? I am looking to add automation to my system and I have it set up with Honeywell electronic ignition now.

PJ,

After reviewing your build with the 2 PID's, the whole Brutus system's wiring makes so much more sense to me now. I have been swimming in information for the last 2 weeks trying to figure everything out. Thank you so much.

My only question, if I plan on using a second pump, would I just wire it the same way you have the single pump?

PJ,

After reviewing your build with the 2 PID's, the whole Brutus system's wiring makes so much more sense to me now. I have been swimming in information for the last 2 weeks trying to figure everything out. Thank you so much.

My only question, if I plan on using a second pump, would I just wire it the same way you have the single pump?
Short answer - Yes. Just add the second pump circuit.

Rather than jumping into complicated systems, I started off pretty basic and branched out. Initially I just direct fired on the stove. I later added a pump for recirculatipn but the burner control was still manually controlled. I learned a lot about using the pump and adjusting flow rates, grain bills, efficiency adjustments, etc. Then I added a RIMS tube with a toolbox controller, reusing most of the parts from the manual setup. I still manually direct fire with the pump on to move from mash step to step and use the RIMS tube for temperature maintenance. I have an alarm in the box, so when I'm heating with the burner I get a warning to pay attention when the temp nears the goal temp. I didn't start with much electrical knowledge but now I feel pretty confident.

image-33388115.jpg

image-4265098831.jpg

OK, I probably should have thrown in some more specifics when I ask you that question JP. Below is what I am looking to do. If anything seems off, someone please chime in.

2 gas valves- one for the HLT and one that is just on/off for the BK.
2 pumps- I want to use one of these to incorporate a HERMS coil in my HLT. I think that's how it's done, right? The other will go from MLT to BK.
I would like to be able to have an intermittent pilot, but I guess that isn't a huge priority.

PJ,
Have you designed a 3 kettle system with PID's and RTD's on the MLT and HLT and just a switch for the BK? I am looking to add automation to my system and I have it set up with Honeywell electronic ignition now.

I want to bump this one again to see if anyone has a diagram for a single tier 3 kettle system with single pump. Here is what I am wanting to use.

MLT & HLT using PIDs with RTDs controlling Honeywell Y8610 electronic ignition gas valves.
BK on a switch controlling Honeywell Y8610 electronic ignition gas valve
and a temperature display with an RTD.
The pump is on a switch.

OK, I probably should have thrown in some more specifics when I ask you that question JP. Below is what I am looking to do. If anything seems off, someone please chime in.

2 gas valves- one for the HLT and one that is just on/off for the BK.
2 pumps- I want to use one of these to incorporate a HERMS coil in my HLT. I think that's how it's done, right? The other will go from MLT to BK.
I would like to be able to have an intermittent pilot, but I guess that isn't a huge priority.

Your request for an intermitent pilot is really dependent on the gas valve you choose to employ in your build. The one I chose to illustrate in the diagrams has a standing pilot. Burner control is implemented through the SYL-2342 PIDs.

Here is a diagram with the second pump added:

As always, click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid papr (11" x 17")

Hope this helps.

Thanks PJ. So where the little dots in the lines are, you said previously that the line went back to the same spot in the terminal. Does that mean each terminal will have multiple wires contacting it, or splice the intersecting wires together?

Thanks PJ. So where the little dots in the lines are, you said previously that the line went back to the same spot in the terminal. Does that mean each terminal will have multiple wires contacting it, or splice the intersecting wires together?
It is however you choose to set up your wiring.
Use a larger terminal strip with jumper strips.
Splice the wires as you choose.
Strip a small piece of insulation from a wire run & fold it back in itself - then crimp on a terminal.

It is all yours to decide. I illustrate it the way I do it so that the drawing remains fairly simple and easy to follow.

PJ, thank you so much for clarifying this for me. My PIDS are on order as well as my RTD's from AUBER . I found an old post of yours discussing the merits of cheaper EBAY RTD's vs Auber's RTD's.

Again, you are a valuable resource for those of us who are somewhat clueless when piecing together these electrical systems.

Back