Hop-15 Port Brewing...Wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I was out at Naked City Taphouse enjoying several of the fresh hop ales Don has on tap right now and one of the bartenders was talking up one of the beers they have in bottles at the moment. It was Port Brewing Hop-15 ale.
As I listened to the bartender describe the process the So Cal brewery uses adding 15 hop varieties every 15 minutes during the boil, I knew I had to take one home with me when I left.

I got home and popped the cap and wow...just wow. I'm sure there are some Southern Ca members who know what I am talking about. The hops just completely envelope this tasty beer. It is citrusy, and resiny, but somehow not too over the top. As I read the label I was surpised to find that somehow they had hidden 10% ABV in there as well. I would have never guessed. This is one of the best Hop Monsters I have ever tried. If anyone ever comes across this, and you are a fan of hops, I strongly recommend.

Has anyone else ever enjoyed this 10% ABV hop monster?

I won't buy it. Quality control issues plague their production brewery and I've had it taste anywhere from good to undrinkable. On top of it, we have much better IPAs available here, and I won't waste my money on a crapshoot. Last drink of it I had was a totally botched fermentation. And a previous batch was flat. They don't get any of my money until they figure out consistency.

I was out at Naked City Taphouse enjoying several of the fresh hop ales Don has on tap right now and one of the bartenders was talking up one of the beers they have in bottles at the moment. It was Port Brewing Hop-15 ale.
As I listened to the bartender describe the process the So Cal brewery uses adding 15 hop varieties every 15 minutes during the boil, I knew I had to take one home with me when I left.

I got home and popped the cap and wow...just wow. I'm sure there are some Southern Ca members who know what I am talking about. The hops just completely envelope this tasty beer. It is citrusy, and resiny, but somehow not too over the top. As I read the label I was surpised to find that somehow they had hidden 10% ABV in there as well. I would have never guessed. This is one of the best Hop Monsters I have ever tried. If anyone ever comes across this, and you are a fan of hops, I strongly recommend.

Has anyone else ever enjoyed this 10% ABV hop monster?

I asked Roma at Gravity Beer Market in Olympia to recommend a big IPA on par with Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot. Without hesitation, she grabbed me a Hop15. Mine tasted damn good. No wonder it was 2008 Alpha King.

There's a discussion here attempting to create a recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port-brewing-hop-15-a-93496/

I won't buy it. Quality control issues plague their production brewery and I've had it taste anywhere from good to undrinkable. On top of it, we have much better IPAs available here, and I won't waste my money on a crapshoot. Last drink of it I had was a totally botched fermentation. And a previous batch was flat. They don't get any of my money until they figure out consistency.

That is a bummer. I have to say the bottle I had of it was wonderful. I didn't quite finish it, and I drank the rest out of the bottle the next morning and even warm and half flat it was still great.

I asked Roma at Gravity Beer Market in Olympia to recommend a big IPA on par with Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot. Without hesitation, she grabbed me a Hop15. Mine tasted damn good. No wonder it was 2008 Alpha King.

There's a discussion here attempting to create a recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port-brewing-hop-15-a-93496/

Thanx for the link alexdagrate . I would love to take a shot at this maybe someday.

I had this last night and man!! This is one of the best beers ive ever had! Sucks to hear that it can be hit or miss but for me it was nothing short of delicious!!! Might even go grab another bottle today!

This is an excellent beer, but try Port's Mongo - Hop-15 is my #3, Mongo is my #1...

Make sure it's fresh - Wife picked up a growler of Mongo last fall in the Tri-cities (WA). I was blown away.

Latest posts

Back