NY Ferry Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbanger

Reaction score
Well apparently a ferry has crashed in NY this morning and I don't know many details at this point. What I do know is that some boneheaded reporter keeps insisting that "the boat had no brakes" and that she is "very concerned as to why this boat had no brakes".

Why doesn't somebody stop her before she digs that hole any deeper? She will not let it go at this point, it's literally all she keeps talking about... A boat with no brakes. :facepalm

Ha!
Reminds me of Stephanie Abrams reporting on the lead up to Katrina here in Mobile. She had the battleship Alabama in the background and kept talking about how all the other ships in the area were running for cover but "that one isn't going anywhere" as if it was a big deal. She made the same report for about three days before someone must have clued her into the fact that the Alabama is surrounded by a cofferdam and hasn't moved since they put it where it is and probably will never move again.

I'm ashamed to say I sighed with relief when I heard the ferry was coming out of Highland NJ. I know plenty of people who take the Staten Island ferry, but no one from Highland NJ. Lots of police and other emergency boats visible from my window at the office at the moment.

I'm ashamed to say I sighed with relief when I heard the ferry was coming out of Highland NJ. I know plenty of people who take the Staten Island ferry, but no one from Highland NJ. Lots of police and other emergency boats visible from my window at the office at the moment.

Hopefully no one is hurt.

The news was saying some 50 people were injured. How fast do those things go for that many people to get hurt? Or are they counting a bloody nose as an injury these days?

The news was saying some 50 people were injured. How fast do those things go for that many people to get hurt? Or are they counting a bloody nose as an injury these days?

It's not like being in a car accident. You're not wearing a seat belt, there are no air bags, and there are no brakes on the ferry. When it hits the dock, everything including passengers become a flying, dangerous object. I hope everyone is okay.

Either fortunately or unfortunately if somoene so much as gets a bruise from someone else slamming into them it is considered an injury and has to be looked at. Imagine if someone was left untreated and died the next morning from a blood clot no one thought to look at.

I'm hoping this will be a whole lot of bloody noses, sprained fingers and superficial bruises.

Crap... 1 is critical... just saw.

By "brakes" could the reporter have meant a stuck throttle? If there was no way to pull back on the throttle, technically there would be "no brakes"... right?

By "brakes" could the reporter have meant a stuck throttle? If there was no way to pull back on the throttle, technically there would be "no brakes"... right?

You've got a big heart Creamy, we'll just chalk this up to "bless her heart".

Apparently there were so many injuries because the ferry was coming in to dock and everyone was getting up to head towards the doors when the ferry struck the pier, even though the the ferry had slowed considerably, almost nobody was seated.

I know some of the more modern ferries have the ability for reverse thrust with those propeller pods (not the correct industry term) that can turn 360 degrees, so maybe that's what she was referring to? Even though, saying it had no brakes is pretty typical of most TV reporters. Their sole job is to look nice and read off a teleprompter. Not employ critical thinking skills...

Even a crash of 5 miles an hour with people sitting around wearing no seatbelts, drinking a cup of coffee or daydreaming will send people flying all over the place. Hitting a pier is a definite SUDDEN stop.

bosco

If anyone has ever been on a subway they will tell you that if the train slows down suddenly people go flying into each other. Its actually less likely to injure someone on a crowded train as we just bump into each other and exchange "sorry" and "whoops" but on a mostly empty train the guy not holding the bar goes bumping around like a bowling ball. I think the same sort of physics applies here.

It's not like being in a car accident. You're not wearing a seat belt, there are no air bags, and there are no brakes on the ferry. When it hits the dock, everything including passengers become a flying, dangerous object. I hope everyone is okay.

I was in a school bus crash that happened around 30mph (thankfully there were brakes and not a complete sudden stop involved) in middle school which gave me a black eye and bloody nose, so I have a rough idea of what it's like to come to a near stop with no safety equipment to speak of. It's no fun, and I wouldn't suggest trying it to anyone. I have no idea how ferries work, but wouldn't the captain have given a "brace for impact" order in some shape or form once they realized the pier was going to be their means of stopping?

Hope that everyone is fine. I think Creamy got it right though with the physics. A slow crash can really injure folks if they cannot brace for it and end up rolling around

I've done it with my boat before. My motor shut down while I way pulling into a slip, so my brakes stopped working.:D

Even going 1-2 MPH you feel it. A boat that size has a lot of momentum.

I feel the same as my sister and a lot of my friends take the ferry into the city from Rockaway.

Not sure what is worse, the fact it hit the dock at 14 mph or the fact it cost $655/month to use the ferry.

Our COL is ridiculous here, but trust me when I say that the people on that ferry weren't traveling to jobs at Mcdonald's. My friend takes that route (thank god, not that boat). He trades for a boutique hedge fund. He makes well over $400,000 a year at 34 and has been for awhile.

Besides that, from that area of NJ to downtown Manhattan by car, you're looking at 1:30 with NO traffic. Rush hour? See you tomorrow, AND once you are there parking will cost $500 a month. In between there are TWO tolls over $10 each and that's before gas. If I was making bank and wanted my kids to grow up with a nice sized yard and big house, I'd be on that ferry every morning too.

Thankfully no one died like in 2003 on the free SI Ferry.

Im really glad for all the bloody noses and busted lips. If a person has to get injured just going in to work it should be something my grandmother would have put a little sugar on.

By the way, is there a doctor in the house? Does sugar on a bloody lip do any good?

Don't know why but I had a dream about this last night. I was watching the news and Chris Christie died on the ferry... No idea where that came from.. It was very vivid too. Like I was really watching TV.

Back