Planning first Fruit Beer - Feedback appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubermensch74

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm hoping to brew a fruity crisp summer beer with light body and a mix of sweet and tartness. Inspiration comes from my local "Rich's Summer Frenzy".

After some research and discussion with the local home brew guy, I've come up with the following:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
4kg Frozen Mixed Berries - Strawberries (30%), Blackberries (30%), Raspberries (20%), Blueberries (20%)

Method:
- Planning to add 2kg of thawed berries before pitching @ 21-24C (70-75F).

- After primary fermentation @ 21-24C (70-75F), rack to secondary on top of another 2kg of thawed berries.

- Keep in secondary @ 21-24C (70-75F) until FG is reached.

- Prime and bottle.

Planning to brew this tonight or some time tomorrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!

[Edit] Note that I have read a lot of threads on fruit beer, which contain debate about whether fruit should be added to primary or secondary. Based on what I have read in other threads, I had planned to rack on top of fruit in secondary but the guy at the LHBS suggested I use half the fruit in primary and the other half in secondary.

Guess I'd like your thoughts on this. If I was to use fruit in primary and secondary, what's the worst that can happen? What's likely to happen? and what are the potential benefits?

Seems fine, I would just advise you to make sure you like the taste of all those berries mixed together. I know from many smoothie making endeavors that the general frozen berry mix can come off a little odd tasting when they are all blended together. But as long as it is a mix you know and enjoy it should be fine
happy brewing!

Warning: don't try this at home ...

I had the 30L carboy filled to the 24L mark. After about 12 hours I had a slow but steady fermentation starting. I came home 2 hours later and the airlock was full of muck. Then before my very eyes, the airlock exploded and I had mixed berries all over the ceiling ... :eek:

Lesson learnt. For anyone wishing to add fruit to their beer, I suggest racking over fruit in a secondary once fermentation has settled down. :D

Back