Stepped up Starter but too much wort - Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I stepped up my starter for my first lager but put too much fresh wort into the flask. I know that I am going to get krausen out the top, what should I do now that all the yeast is mixed up into the fresh wort I put in (due to dumping it in)?

Should I cold crash then decant off some wort on the top or just dump out some of the wort/yeast mixture now and not worry about it?

Quick responses are appreciated!

I usually dump it all in. if you don't have room in the fermenter cold crash and decant. If you don't have time, just dump some.

No issues with cold crashing a starter that hasn't fermented out at all? I figure after cold crashing and decanting, I could just let it warm back up and then put it on the stir plate to ferment but figured I would ask.

Can you dump the whole starter into a sanitized carboy? Then you have plenty of room to let the starter ferment.

I guess I could but its only 2L so it wouldn't take up much room in 6 gallon bucket.

Yooper- you know what your doing, could I put this thing in the fridge and then decant some off once the yeast starts to settle? Would this cause any issues to the yeast?

I guess I could but its only 2L so it wouldn't take up much room in 6 gallon bucket.

Yooper- you know what your doing, could I put this thing in the fridge and then decant some off once the yeast starts to settle? Would this cause any issues to the yeast?

I have no idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that great. The yeast was just added, and then you want to cold crash it out and decant, then warm up and let it ferment. It seems like it would be stressful to the yeast, instead of beneficial, and I wouldn't do it.

Do you have a growler or gallon jug, or a tupperware pitcher, or anything at all? It seems like you must have something you could find around your house, and then sanitize some foil for a lid.

I have no idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that great. The yeast was just added, and then you want to cold crash it out and decant, then warm up and let it ferment. It seems like it would be stressful to the yeast, instead of beneficial, and I wouldn't do it.

Do you have a growler or gallon jug, or a tupperware pitcher, or anything at all? It seems like you must have something you could find around your house, and then sanitize some foil for a lid.

You got me worried so I put everything into a 1 gallon jug, now I am just trying to get my stir plate to work with it since it has a concave bottom.

Thanks for the help, just want to make sure my first lager goes OK

Back