Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that one's actually been mentioned several times.

Not sure why anybody here even feels the need to try it though :fro:

I had Sam Adams cherry wheat a couple years ago and it tasted pretty good. Last years though was cough syrup. Maybe they changed the recipe?

I had Sam Adams cherry wheat a couple years ago and it tasted pretty good. Last years though was cough syrup. Maybe they changed the recipe?

I've noticed that with some sam adams as well. Not too often, but I know for sure that the Octoberfest they had last year was weak in comparison to previous years. This year though it seemed to be pretty good.

On a side note, I had to try the Big Flats lol. The curiosity got to me ;)

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager. Absolutely offensive swill -- I didn't realize it was an AB product until dumping it, but that pretty much explains everything.

ksb63 said:
No actually like trippels, dubbels, porters, stouts, sours, hefe's ect. For some reason can't stand IPA's they smell like cat nip/mint and just taste off to me. Like an overly peated scotch.

Interesting. I actually love a good peaty scotch.. Laphroig, for example, is excellent. I like IPAs fine but do not find the flavor to be at all like a good smokey peaty scotch.

It's also interesting you mention la fin du monde, I think that's pretty good beer if you like the belgian style.

I'm not trying to call you out, taste is subjective. It's just interesting how there are certain beers that have been mentioned repeatedly (so there is some of consensus) but many posters also have some particular idiosyncrasies where they dislike a very specific beer or style.

For example, last time I tried anchor liberty ale I found the hop profile harsh and medicinal tasting but I'm not generally aversive to hoppy beers. I also despise that weird flavor in the european lagers (eg heineken, estrella damm, stella).

Still, all those are recognizable as beer. Steel Reserve is just awful... There's just no contest.

Love the Belgium styles but for some reason have had to dump that one twice. Only tried again because hate to only try once and form opinion off one taste plus really liked the chambly noir so I either got two skunked fins (from different cities) or its just off to me.

Do any of you guys remember the "generic" beer phase from the mids 80's? We used to get cases of this stuff and head out to the drive in movie. You weren't supposed to have alcohol but nobody ever cared. We'd drink it right out in the open.

I don't know who actually brewed this stuff, but it was generally pretty foul.

GOE774304020302.jpg

Oh yeah I remember that stuff on the shelves of the Pinch Penny Pub liquor store in Carbondale back in the day along with the Mad Dog 20/20 night train, and so on....Generic beer by far the worst....and a couple of other's that bring back so little memories due to more than likely blacking out....

1.) Generic Beer
2.) Schlitz Malt Liquor.....Wow this was bad stuff
3.) Old Style.....fizzy wizz is what it looked like....My dad and all his friends drank this.
4.) Hamm's of any flavor.....that Bear needs to be shot....

Worst idea for getting buzzed before hitting the strip on saturday night......a case of generic beer and some Mad Dog to really hit the buzz....never knew vomit had so many colors.....:rockin:

this is easy, 7-11 stores came up with their own brand a couple of years ago called "Game Time"? I think it was called. This was the worst crap I have ever had the displeasure to try. I was curious about it so I bought a 12 pack cold, as if it made any difference, ha! Anyone else ever try this crap??

It's still probably better than piss beer, but as far as micros go, I bought a 4 pack of Mad River Double Dread imperial red. It was almost undrinkable. I gave 1 away and have 2 sitting in my fridge, taunting me. There were huge chunks floating in it, and the taste was pretty nasty. I don't remember the specifics, since it was a couple months ago, but it was downright unpleasant. It gets mostly good reviews on beeradvocate, with some bad reviews, so I suppose it's possible they had a bad batch.

dankev said:
It's still probably better than piss beer, but as far as micros go, I bought a 4 pack of Mad River Double Dread imperial red. It was almost undrinkable. I gave 1 away and have 2 sitting in my fridge, taunting me. There were huge chunks floating in it, and the taste was pretty nasty. I don't remember the specifics, since it was a couple months ago, but it was downright unpleasant. It gets mostly good reviews on beeradvocate, with some bad reviews, so I suppose it's possible they had a bad batch.

Large chumks of stuff?! That has to be an infected batch...

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. You know, the ones in the clear bottle with the sickly-looking jalapeno at the bottom. I tried one at an "everybody bring a 6-pack of something random" beer party, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. It's like a skunky Corona Light with a bunch of Tabasco sauce in it. I got about 1/4 of the bottle down and dumped the rest in the yard, but my stomach felt horrible the rest of the night. :drunk:

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is like that too. Thick, syrupy, and way too sweet IMHO.

For my money, Sam Adams Old Fezziwig is doubly disappointing: not only was it undrinkably unpleasant, I was bummed b/c I'm a Christmas Carol fanatic :(

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I had my worst beer ever on my recent visit to SoCal - a 6 pack of Firestone Walker Pale Ale that was an herbal nightmare. I'm guessing a bad batch as the hops were way off (herbal), had zero bitterness, and was extremely watery. Disappointed to say the least. I also had a bomber of their stout (forget the name) and found it to be mediocre. I expected great things from them and left CA with a pretty poor view of their offerings.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. You know, the ones in the clear bottle with the sickly-looking jalapeno at the bottom. I tried one at an "everybody bring a 6-pack of something random" beer party, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. It's like a skunky Corona Light with a bunch of Tabasco sauce in it. I got about 1/4 of the bottle down and dumped the rest in the yard, but my stomach felt horrible the rest of the night. :drunk:

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is like that too. Thick, syrupy, and way too sweet IMHO.

Cave Creek...yeah that a sh*tty beer! Un-freakin'-drinkable.

Lost Abbey's Angel's Share Brandy Barrel-Aged. Simply awful. Just spent a ton of money on this and it was completely flat and oxidized up the wazzoo. This one was a big surprise and a real learning experience. It's a damn shame, too. The flavor potential is really there with the dark fruit, rich big-hearted malt and caramel tones, but everything surrounding it is awful. Super boozy, stale, and flat as my tap water. Felt like I had poured myself and my fiance a pint of cheap weak thick brandy.

Might be salvageable as a base for a reduction sauce for some red meat dish, on the up side!

Anyone else try this beer? Super gross!

Lost Abbey's Angel's Share Brandy Barrel-Aged. Simply awful. Just spent a ton of money on this and it was completely flat and oxidized up the wazzoo. This one was a big surprise and a real learning experience. It's a damn shame, too. The flavor potential is really there with the dark fruit, rich big-hearted malt and caramel tones, but everything surrounding it is awful. Super boozy, stale, and flat as my tap water. Felt like I had poured myself and my fiance a pint of cheap weak thick brandy.

Might be salvageable as a base for a reduction sauce for some red meat dish, on the up side!

Anyone else try this beer? Super gross!

Call or email the brewery and let them know they have some flat beers out there.

I'm pretty sure they know by now. Beeradvocate.com ratings for that version of Angel's Share are rife with statements about the flatness of the beer. Must have been a packaging mishap. The one I had was from 2008, by the way.

Like I said, the flavors were a great idea and individually were quite enjoyable, but something wacky happened along the way.

No disrespect to Lost Abbey. Those guys do a great job all in all.

Haven't fished through all 130 pages of this thread - but having just come back from India - I can say with certainty that the worst commercial beer I've had in recent memory is Kingfisher!

Just want to say again that Shlitz is by far the worst beer ever.

I second that motion, my roommates and I decided to get that for beer pong one time because it was cheap and well, it couldn't be worse the C***'s Light right? WRONG! Terrible. We could not even use it for beer pong! Had to go back to the store.

jc587491 said:
We could not even use it for beer pong!

Wow. Glad you agree. That there is some pretty definitive proof that Schlitz is indeed the worst beer created!

I tried the Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier the other day and I thought it was so disgusting I poured out the last half of the glass. I've had some great smoked beers in my time, but this was awful. Tasted like liquid smoke or something -- no nuance, no complexity, no enjoyment. It saddened me.

Taproom #21 Brewing Company - Moe's Backroom Amber Ale

I bought it to fuel my first AG brew last weekend because I was brewing an Amber Ale... I really hope it turns out nothing like this, it made me nervous.

I taught English in Taiwan for a spell. Their national beer "Taiwan Beer" in a can with blue writing.

Close second is that swill by Sleemans called Clear.

Have any of you guys tried Simpler Times Lager made by Minhas Craft Brewery Its very very sweet, and tastes a little like corn. Really nasty stuff when it comes to being beer. But hey, at 6.2% abv...its not all bad. :)

I tried "Milwaukee's Best Light" the other night and ended with disastrous results. I am in the military and when we're moving inbetween locations, we come up with some weird ideas to fill the empty time inbetween. I was once dared to drink Air Conditioner condensation water. I went through with it and regret it since. But not as much as I regret drinking MBL. That stuff literally made air conditioner condensation seem preferable. Crazy to realize some people drink that stuff on a regular basis.

GRBrewer said:
Have any of you guys tried Simpler Times Lager made by Minhas Craft Brewery Its very very sweet, and tastes a little like corn. Really nasty stuff when it comes to being beer. But hey, at 6.2% abv...its not all bad. :)

They sell it at Trader Joes... its 2.99 a 6 pack. I drank one, and shot the other 5 at the range.

Sam Adam's Triple Bock. It may have been a bad bottle to be fair but it tasted like soy sauce. In fact, I couldn't drink any dark beers for quite a while afterwards because they all reminded me of that soy sauce taste. Disgusting.

I have not tried all Sam Adams,but mainly always avoid them, but i always like to try sometihing once, ive tried a few and i remeber thinking the winter lager last year was decent. That about wraps it up folks. Maybe a beer or two from them. Even the homebrew varity looked ****ty.

I tried "Milwaukee's Best Light" the other night and ended with disastrous results. I am in the military and when we're moving inbetween locations, we come up with some weird ideas to fill the empty time inbetween. I was once dared to drink Air Conditioner condensation water. I went through with it and regret it since. But not as much as I regret drinking MBL. That stuff literally made air conditioner condensation seem preferable. Crazy to realize some people drink that stuff on a regular basis.

The BEAST has always been my least favorite but having stayed away from it for so many years I completely forgot about it...

About 10 years ago my old band was playing a gig in Lansing and then another in Detroit on back to back nights. So we begin the long, fun drive from Madison to Detroit. Our van breaks down in Gary, Indiana which is a beautiful little city and we have it towed to a mechanic. After several Deliverance-like hours we're back on the road again but have no chance in hell of making the Lansing gig. We get there in time to see one of the other bands and play pinball after 15 minutes of which we hit the road to find a hotel. And beer.

We bought a 24 pack of Strohs after running over a gigantic dead raccoon.

Long story short, we got tanked on Strohs at 3 in the morning in the hotel room, trashed it, watched our vocalist and guitarist fight and roll around in the freshly ordered pizza from a Gumby's imitator, laughed at the guitarist (who we locked out of the room for being too drunk for even us to stand) outside the room screaming to be let back in, and then all passed out.

I will never drink Strohs again.

Yes, I got the pizza fight on tape: YouTube - Don vs Luck
i can only conclude you were already completely wasted when the van broke down. only a person who's blind drunk could ever consider gary, indiana a "beautiful little city".
the worst beer i've ever drank was this piss water called "crazy stallion". i got a block down the road from the liquor store, popped the top and took a long pull, then preceded to turn around and hand the beer back to the cashier. i said "this beer is flat and has turned to vinegar or something." she let me grab another one and i went through the same routine. i just threw the thing out the window. it's a rare moment when i can't choke down a cheap 24 ounce on lunch break. but it happened with that crap.

drocu said:
Sam Adam's Triple Bock. It may have been a bad bottle to be fair but it tasted like soy sauce. In fact, I couldn't drink any dark beers for quite a while afterwards because they all reminded me of that soy sauce taste. Disgusting.

Ugh. There were chunks. I could smell that nasty sh*t across the room and I continued to smell it for hours after I poured it out.

The one that always makes me giggle is Schlitz. Ive had cans that sorta burned on the way down. That aint right... lol. But I cant complain, I bought 3 cases with the proceeds from our empties returns in college :rockin:

I typically really like Belgian beers (not just the style, the country of origin), but I had PALM for the first time this weekend and thought it was utterly boring. It was like a Scottish 60, except they charge a premium price for it. Almost like a watered-down amber. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it.

Latest posts

Back