Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddisaster

Reaction score
So quick question for you guys. I have a pumpkin ale fermenting right now. I used canned pumpkins and there is a lot of trub that the beer is currently sitting. Everything that I have read says that pumpkin ales need to be racked to a secondary.

My question is that an absolute? Will the beer turn out as well if I just leave it on the trub until bottling or will there be to much waste?

You'll experience additional sediment in your bottles, which could be minimized by careful handling during bottling. Let the primary rest after transporting it to your station, and siphon quietly. Don't expect a clear beer.

As for flavor, maybe an additional squashy flavor from the lengthy pumpkin stay in your primary?

Short answer, it's not an absolute in my opinion.

I just bottled a pumpkin ale tonight that was in primary for 6 weeks just sitting on 120 oz of pumpkin, this is my first pumpkin brew so I'll see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Good luck on your brew. yeah this is my first pumpkin ale. I am looking forward to it think I am going to let it sit on the pumpkin as well, one less step to screw it up. Don't mind it being cloudy if it is still palatable.

I just started a pumkin last night 30 oz. Although my station from primary to bottling bucket doesn't move (counter top in my fermentation room, aka utility room). I hope I don't to get to much stuff. Maybe I'll plan on a secondary.

I usually leave my pumkin from 4-6 weeks in primary and when I transfer to the bottling bucket the cake and trub are very tight and easily to rack the beer without getting much sediment, so secondary isn't a must.

Back