American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cask ale yeast (1026 I think) was released in the fall VSS program. It's a very nice yeast and drops out for a dead clear beer very quickly. Yes, it would be nice for this recipe I think. I used it for a hop-bursted IPA and found it delicious.

Oh, okay. I'll google and try to find some.

Did you use it in the CJ's JPA in your sig? :p

Ok, one more post to this thread today; sorry. I recently brewed this beer and overshot my OG in the kettle by a mile. I made some on-the-fly adjustments to take this clearly into IPA territory. It ended up at 1.067 and 60 IBU. I double dry-hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe and have a mistake-beer that is undoubtedly my best IPA ever. The legend of Lake Walk goes on.....

KD

Ok, one more post to this thread today; sorry. I recently brewed this beer and overshot my OG in the kettle by a mile. I made some on-the-fly adjustments to take this clearly into IPA territory. It ended up at 1.067 and 60 IBU. I double dry-hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe and have a mistake-beer that is undoubtedly my best IPA ever. The legend of Lake Walk goes on.....

KD

LOL, I just did that on my last batch, but your quick goat thinking surely is better than my solution--I diluted with a little water.

I have often thought about doing a LWIPA. In fact, post your recipe and we'll call it a birth of a legend--except instead of LWIPA, name it after the street you live on (or something like that!). ;)

I still have fond memories of this beer a year ago as my first AG. It's already slated to be my first 10G batch, brewing in April sometime.

Ahh... Finally got my Amarillo and Simcoe! Brewing this one up today, just can´t wait. ;) Toasting my pale malt as I speak. Yummy! :)

Awesome.

Dry hop still settling in the bottom of the keg (got through my paint strainer a bit I guess)

I upped the IBUs a bit and the gravity to 1060, just to put it as a small IPA for sure.

But man this is great. Best beer I've brewed and a great first beer to kill my infection streak (Bleach FTW!).

Thanks for the recipe! I'm thinking about brewing this multiple times, each time going a bit bigger until I can hit DIPA status and keep it balanced.

My mouth is so happy right now!

Just wanted to say Thanks to the Dude for this recipe. I brewed my first AG batch today and chose Lake Walk Pale Ale as my starting point, partly for the attraction of the style and hop choice (in my world 'Amarillo' is spoken like Homer Simpson says 'Donuts'), but also because so many others have vouched for it as a great brew. I followed the recipe as closely as possible, only substituting WLP001 for Safale 05 (not too radical I hope), and all went well. OG 1053, gorgeous color, lip smacking aroma, and the sun shone.

Thanks Dude! :mug:

Nice! Finally got to brew up a batch of this brew today. Had to do a couple of small modifications, but so far everything seems just great. Uhmm... The whole house smelled like perfume from the hops. Sweet... :)

I'll be whipping a batch of this one up tomorrow. Gonna be using maris otter for base and toasted MO for the toasted grain. Also using british caramalt (45L) for the crystal 60 addition. Should come out close enough though. I've gotta get some pale ales in the pipeline with the weather warming up so fast!

I'll be whipping a batch of this one up tomorrow. Gonna be using maris otter for base and toasted MO for the toasted grain. Also using british caramalt (45L) for the crystal 60 addition. Should come out close enough though. I've gotta get some pale ales in the pipeline with the weather warming up so fast!

I have brewed this with those EXACT ingredients. yes, it will come out great!

After reading through the whole thread, it seems like people are getting a bit too much attenuation from us-05, and that's the only yeast I have for the beer tomorrow. Should I mash a bit higher or just go with 153 and call it good?

After reading through the whole thread, it seems like people are getting a bit too much attenuation from us-05, and that's the only yeast I have for the beer tomorrow. Should I mash a bit higher or just go with 153 and call it good?

I would go higher if it were me. I had to dose a batch of this with malto-dextrin once because of that yeast.

I''m going to do my first AG batch tomorrow with this. I'm going to sub MO, but won't have any way to toast the malt, unless I can do it just before mash-in. Will that work?

Also, I wasn't able to make a starter. Should I go with one smack pack of 1272 or just give it a go with US-05? I'm stopping at the LHBS on my way to the brew location.

I''m going to do my first AG batch tomorrow with this. I'm going to sub MO, but won't have any way to toast the malt, unless I can do it just before mash-in. Will that work?

Also, I wasn't able to make a starter. Should I go with one smack pack of 1272 or just give it a go with US-05? I'm stopping at the LHBS on my way to the brew location.

You can toast it just before. Don't forget to adjust your strike.

Yeast is a tougher question. If it's a super-fresh pack of 1272, I would go that way, but US-05 is such a good starter, there is a good argument for it. Technically, you will be underpitching with one pack of 1272; it's your call.

Nice and quick brewday. Wort was just whirlpooled. I'll transfer to carboy and pitch the yeast after posting. Nice color:

3412326970_b6658a2489.jpg

Alright, well it didn't go as planned. The LHBS gave me flaked oats rather than wheat, no time to toast so I used Victory, and my first all-grain mash didn't go well so I had terrible efficency. I had to add a lb of DME to make up for my 58%.

Now, I only have .25 oz Simcoe left for dry hoping and I'm not sure I can find anymore in the area...

At least it was a learning experience!

Alright, well it didn't go as planned. The LHBS gave me flaked oats rather than wheat, no time to toast so I used Victory, and my first all-grain mash didn't go well so I had terrible efficency. I had to add a lb of DME to make up for my 58%.

Now, I only have .25 oz Simcoe left for dry hoping and I'm not sure I can find anymore in the area...

At least it was a learning experience!

I bet the beer will be fine.

Anyone on the fence about trying this recipe, this is definitely one to brew. Great hops flavor and great taste that really grows on you. Just made a repeat batch this last weekend. Thanks Dude!

Nice! Had to try a bottle of this beer today although it´s only about 50% carbonated still. But, damn! I´d say this is the best brew I´ve ever done! And one of the best I´ve ever tasted as well... Huge hop punch of passionfruit, tangerineish citrus, pines and even hints of crushed strawberries. The malt is very much in the background, but yet it is very balanced and quite smooth drinking despite the solid bitterness. Hehe, It´s actually the first of my brews that my mom liked as well... :D Thanx, Dude!

Does beer get any better then this stuff? My latest batch boiled down to a little less then 5 gallons by mistake. Now its thicker and malt yer witch balances out the bittering hops even better. The taste is explosive and citrusy with a big nose. It has a thicker mouth feel and slightly sweeter. You have to smell this beer before taking the first sip.

This beer cost a lot because of the hop bill but its so worth it.

Holy Sweet Jesus!!!! I love this beer Dude! Followed the recipe verbatim for a 10g batch. I may just brew this again next because I know it's going to be gone very very soon. Excellent recipe.

I've made this beer several times and love it!!! Just Kegged this using only Summit hops and tastes awesome as well.:ban:

Summit all the way through Ryno? How's it compare?

I haven't used Summits yet but I've been thinking about picking some up for a peach wheat. If they work well in a APA like this then I can justify buying in bulk.

Dude,
How did the batch with Denny's 50 come out? I have a smack pack sitting in the back of the fridge and need to slant some and use the rest.

Nice! Had to try a bottle of this beer today although it´s only about 50% carbonated still. But, damn! I´d say this is the best brew I´ve ever done! And one of the best I´ve ever tasted as well... Huge hop punch of passionfruit, tangerineish citrus, pines and even hints of crushed strawberries. The malt is very much in the background, but yet it is very balanced and quite smooth drinking despite the solid bitterness. Hehe, It´s actually the first of my brews that my mom liked as well... :D Thanx, Dude!

Crushed stawberries...hmmm. I'll have to drink one and see if I get that.

Dude,
How did the batch with Denny's 50 come out? I have a smack pack sitting in the back of the fridge and need to slant some and use the rest.

I have been so busy I really haven't given the latest batches the love they need. I have them dry-hopping as we speak, so I should get a good feel for how they turned out this weekend. I'll post my findings.

I think Lake Walk Pale Ale is custom made for that yeast though (according to the description anyway).

Hammocks, I think it's awesome with the summits......watch the ibu's, it could get very bitter. I dry hopped with 1 oz. for 5 days and it worked out great! I forget my hop schedule but can find it if you are interested. I would not hesitate to purchase a pound of summits to expirement with.....they are high alpha acid so they go a long way.

Took a gravity sample last night and gave it a taste. It was very good. Lots of grapefruit and orange rind flavors with definite "tropical fruit" overtones. Still very cloudy from the yeast. I'll rack to secondary and give it a half ounce of amarillo and a half ounce of simcoe for good measure. I think this will be my entry into the kabouter cup.

Disclaimer: knocked back a few DLWPA's

Well I first tapped this about a month ago and was very happy with it. I have entered it in the NHC comp. After I sent it out, I started trying to nit pick and figure out what a judge may dislike. I started to find it a tad dry. Well now that it has aged a bit more, I think it may have been more of an issue of hop sharpness that has since softened. Now I can't stay away from the damn kegerator!

Looking to future batches:
How could this recipe be pushed towards an IPA while maintaining a good balance? I would like to step up the hop flavor and bitterness both. The aroma can stay just how it is :rockin: I'm mostly worried about the hops pushing out any malt flavor. A little munich, or honey malt may be in order?

Disclaimer: knocked back a few DLWPA's

Well I first tapped this about a month ago and was very happy with it. I have entered it in the NHC comp. After I sent it out, I started trying to nit pick and figure out what a judge may dislike. I started to find it a tad dry. Well now that it has aged a bit more, I think it may have been more of an issue of hop sharpness that has since softened. Now I can't stay away from the damn kegerator!

Looking to future batches:
How could this recipe be pushed towards an IPA while maintaining a good balance? I would like to step up the hop flavor and bitterness both. The aroma can stay just how it is :rockin: I'm mostly worried about the hops pushing out any malt flavor. A little munich, or honey malt may be in order?

I brewed this as an IPA with no grain modifications other than using Maris Otter. Turned out great, but I don't use US-05 as I think it dries out the beer. The key is Dude's hop schedule. I like to use the old recipe with Centennial, though I cut back the dry hop quantity. The extra floral kick works well with judges whose noses might be fatigued. I have won several awards with the basic recipe. Dude's LW is a great recipe and our favorite house beer. Good luck with the IPA.

Hi dude
Lakewalk variant takes 2nd place APA at Mayfaire. This is a major California competition and one of three that count towards Sierra Nevada Homebrewer of the year. This is the Maris Otter/WY1272 batch with Centennial, and the second significant medal. Thanks again Dude.

KD

Class 5 American Pale Ale

1st - Larry Nadeau (Fear No Beer) 5.1 American-Style Pale Ale

2nd - Larry Konis (Maltose Falcons) 5.1 American-Style Pale Ale

3rd - Michael Mraz (DOZE) 5.1 American-Style Pale Ale

1 # Amarillo and 1# Simcoe in the mail!!!:ban:

Looking to brew up 20 gallons of this to have plenty on hand!!1

I have tweaked this a few times and brewed it many more..

I use Summit as my 60 min and 20 min additions..It really changes very little I just have to watch my IBU's. I like to keep it closer to 40 IBU's and I like to mash around 153..it's good dry but with 153 and the wheat it gives it a nice body but not too much... so still a very drinkable APA. I recently started toasting my own malt and go much higher than I have read and set the oven from 300 to 350 for 30 minutes..I like to spray it with water to carmalize and add some sweetness(this is still a work in progress).

Jay

Does toasting the malt reduce the extract potential of the grain, giving lower mash efficiency? I'm doing 12 gallons of it this weekend for the first time.

Back