I'm Hooked!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbender

Reaction score
What a great hobby!

I took up home brewing in January of this year. Started with an Irish Red Ale. This was followed in quick succession by a Boston Stock Ale, German Wheat Beer and English Nut Brown Ale. Two days ago I started 5 gallons of Ed Wort's Apfelwein.

Everything I have tried has worked out beautifully. I am getting more confident with each batch and am getting better and better organized.

I like trying the differne beer styles.

I like observing the fermentation process and how it varies from one project to the next.

I like the feeling that I am unchained from local, commercially available products.

I like knowing that there really are no limit . . . . . thast the future holds further vistas including graduating to kegs, recipe design, growing my own hops and all-grain brewing.

I like tinkering and designing and this hobby offers unlimited possibilities to the creative mind.

I like drinking beer . . . . and I really like drinking beer that I have created.

Life is good.

I loved bottling my first batch (yesterday)

such a good feeling knowing I made this beer, I can't wait to take my first sip of the final product

BierMuncher said:
Do you still giggle just a little when you take a sip and realize that warm and fuzzy feeling coming over you is your own creation?

I left it off the list, but I think one of the things that I really like about the hobby is the spirit of adventure; the anticipation and the element of uncertainty involved in waiting for and finally tasting the end producxt of your efforts. I am a planner by nature. The time lag between the brewing and enjoyment of the mature product heightens the enjoyment of the hobby. It is very seductive.

Definatly a great hobby i went straight to keggin and now i always have good beer in the fridge.

hellbender said:
It is very seductive.

Thats the truth! I started brewing in early March and I was finally able to really enjoy my first batch tonight (the home brew was flowing!). This hobby just makes sense for those who love beer and also love creating things. I, like you, am thoroughly addicted.

I too am relatively new and it's a GREAT distraction from the busy life to focus on beer and the information and history of beer types as you make them.

I just tasted my first 5 gallon batch that I brewed on 2/13/08 and it's INCREDIBLE. I can't get over just how good it is, it's not even fully carbonated yet and it's delicious (I only bottled 6 days ago).

Back on the subject - whenever I brew a new beer type, I research it so that I can explain the history to my taste testers while they're sampling. I think that makes it even more GREAT if there is such a thing.

Now, on the downside......bottling sucks, it's messy, time consuming, and just downright tiresome. I'll be moving to kegging VERY soon.

Quit now before it consumes your life!

...or you can sit back, open a homebrew and contemplate your next batch!

Brad

All of you really have summed up my thoughts exactly. I am also very new to the hobby and have yet to taste my first batch. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!:mug:

I must agree, best hobby in the world. there is a reason beer can be found most anywhere.

My first batch is going to be conditioned on April 7th. April 7th, 1933 prohibition ended. coincidence? I think not.

Baumgartner said:
My first batch is going to be conditioned on April 7th. April 7th, 1933 prohibition ended. coincidence? I think not.

Sweet! If that's not good luck I don't know what is!

Cheers! :mug:

Back