Show me your bulkheads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Ok, so now that I'm a proud owner of a bear trap, I need to put a ball valve on it. I was originally thinking of going with morebeer's weldless bulkhead, but I'm also considering a DIY approach. Can I see some pics of what you guys did? I know some of you do brass & copper, others SS, and so on. I want to see some pics so I know what to expect... thanks people!
:mug:

Here's a pic inside my MLT that shows the bulkhead that I bought online. That squashed rubber washer has been replaced with a proper o-ring.

The others I have done are DIY and don't include the coupling. Instead a compression fitting attaches directly to the nipple coming through the keg wall. The only piece I haven't been able to find at the HW store are the red hi-temp o-rings.

Basically, what I did for the DIY is: valve|washer|o-ring|nipple through the wall|o-ring|washer|compression fitting|pickup tube. I don't have pics of those but does it make sense?

If you want to buy them ready-to-go for cheap, this is the place, although they're closed for a few more days. http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html

Here's inside mine...

insideKeggle.jpg

Looks like you all collect from the center of the kettle. I take it you don't whirlpool? I was looking to do a DIY for the bulkhead but I'm having a really hard time finding the hi temp o rings at the local HD & Lowe's, I might have to order them online...

I have bulk silicone o-rings from McMaster, if you PM me I will check part number and size tonight when I get home from work. Would gladly mail a set for a buck or two for postage.

13970-valvewithcompressionfittingforcfc.jpg

13970-tappedformanifoldorpickup.jpg

DIY weld-in. Mine is 3/4", but 1/2" should be fine. I used a hole saw to drill it out of a busted RV water heater tank(all aluminum). My buddy stick welded it in for me. PM me if you need a 1/2" weld-in bulkhead.

Back