Pacman Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-

I recently washed and jared some packman from a pale ale. After being in the fridge a few weeks, I took some out today to pitch into a starter than I plan on pitching tomorrow. The cake at the bottom of the jars looks different from what I have seen with other yeasts. It was more of a blob with a few bubbles in it that actually bubbled up as it was warming up. It had a slight smell of sulfur, but overall it smelled yeasty.

Does pacman form more of a mat on the bottom or does it fall out in a clean white layer like other yeasts?

Cheers!

Thanks-
The starter is cranking so I think I will go with it. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that pacman forms a different cake than some other strains. The consistency seemed different from chico, which is my normal yeast...

To follow up on my question. The yeast was fine and the beer turned out awesome.

Pacman is beastly. Took my porter from 1.051 to 1.008 in 5 days! 83% attenuation. Very clean fermentation at 62 deg.

Back