Bought the wrong pid.. help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to save some money.. shoulda went auber i know. anyway heres the problem

I bought the mypin ta4s (TA4 SNR) for a gas herms setup. They work fine, except i screwed up and bought the ssr version when I wanted the relay version. I just want them to work in on/off mode and be able to switch 24vac that i supply via a transformer. Is there anyway to salvage my build with these? Im guessing I should bite the bullet and just order relay versions of the aubers.

One solution is to put FETs between the PID output and a relay coil, but the FETs would need a power source to switch the coils, and by the time you put all that together it'd likely cost at least half the price of just getting the right version PID, plus there's likely a learning curve you'd need to travel.

I'd check with the vendor to see if they would exchange what you bought for what you really want...

Cheers!

chuckjaxfl said:
I'm not following... why not buy a cheap SSR, and place it inline to the input to your 24v transformer?

I thought about that yesterday after I got home from work. Seems like the simplest solution since everything else is wired already. I get the rest of the wiring for the switched and all but I have to admit the pids and ssr is all still Greek to me. If I have a steel backplate will that be enough of a heatsink for the ssr's since they will only be driving the 24volts or should I be safe and throw heatsinks on them and mount through the top of the box itself.

bucfanmike said:
I thought about that yesterday after I got home from work. Seems like the simplest solution since everything else is wired already. I get the rest of the wiring for the switched and all but I have to admit the pids and ssr is all still Greek to me. If I have a steel backplate will that be enough of a heatsink for the ssr's since they will only be driving the 24volts or should I be safe and throw heatsinks on them and mount through the top of the box itself.

Well, my cheap SSR's are for 24v-480v, I think. They're not in front of me right now. Since that's on the edge of the range, I would put the SSR on the high side. And, yes, I would put a heat sink on it.

The SSR doesn't need a big heat sink because the transformer won't be taking much current.

Back