need DIPA recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimusJay

Reaction score
I'll be brewing this Friday morning. I have the Brewers Best Double IPA kit http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/New BB Recipes/1035 Double IPA Recipe.pdf but would like to make some tweeks and additions.

So at my disposal I have the following:
Fermentables:
9.9 lbs light LME
1 lb corn sugar
2 lbs wildflower honey (mine, hobby beekeeper)

Specialty/Steeping grains:
8 oz crushed crystal 40L
4 oz crushed carapils
1 lb crushed crystal 60L
*note the crystal 40L & carapils are packaged together

Hops
4 oz Columbus
2 oz Zythos
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Citra

Yeast
Safale US-05

I do partial boils in a 20qt pot.
60 minute boil

Here is my plan at this point:
Steep all the Specialty grains (40L, 60L, Carapils) at 150ish for 20 minutes.
Add H2O to get to around 3 gallons
1 can (3.3 lbs) LME @ 60 min
2 oz Columbus @ 60 min

Heres's where I'm stuck. I want to add the rest of the LME, corn sugar, and honey near the end of the boil AND need to get my flavoring & aroma hops in as well. Plus I want to use some of those hops for dry hop as well.

I would like your suggestions.

Jay

Both the honey and the sugar will ferment out and most brewers will recommend no more than 2 pounds of fermentable sugars in a 5 gallon batch. On the other hand if you like your beer super dry with no malt flavor, only alcohol and hops than this might be just the ticket!

If I were you I would run this through a recipe calculator such as what I use: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe
To help you determine your target gravities, hop IBU's and the like. If you make this a much heavier beer than intended by the recipe kit you might need an extra pack of yeast!

Thanks for the tip about the fermentables and the link to the beercalculus website. I'll plug in some data and see how things look. I have a few packets of yeast on hand, so no worries there.

Regarding the late hop additions...still looking for suggestions there as well. Use all i have? Which ones to save for dry hop, etc.

I would personally use Columbus for bittering, perhaps half of the Simcoe and Citra in the last 10 minutes of the boil and the other half of those hops as a dry hop as both are excellent for flavor/aroma.

Columbus is a pretty powerful hop for bittering (Alpha Acids around 13%) so only maybe 1.5 oz is needed at 60 minutes. The calculator will help. I like my big IPA's to have a BU:GU ratio of 1.2-1.4. The Beercalculus will figure that out for you based on your inputs.

Yeah, I plugged in the Columbus at 60 min and the calc showed a large IBU, more than I care for, so dropping it to 1.5oz is what I will do. I also like the suggestion of using half the Simcoe and Citra at 10 min or less and saving the rest for dry hop. I may add some more of the Columbus and some of the Zythos in near the end too for more hop flavor and aroma.

Thanks again.

When you plug everything into hopville, make sure your honey hovers around 10-15% of the fermentables. Do not use the corn sugar if using honey; that is overkill. I would shoot for a target OG of 1.070-1.080. I would also research the proper way to add honey to wort. Too hot of a temperature, and you kill the aroma. At the very minimum, I wouldn't add the honey until the wort was at least < 100 F. Though there are other, better methods to add it for aroma purposes.

For Crystal malt in a DIPA, I highly recommend keeping it under 8% of the total grist. Otherwise, things can get sticky sweet and take away from the hop focus and overall drinkability of the beer.

If you can, do a full volume boil with no top off water (especially for a DIPA). Better to have 3.5 gallons of excellent quality beer than 5 gallons of something mediocre. I've personally found that topping off will produce mediocre DIPA's by comparison. If you're set on 5-6 gallons of bottled beer, then try to consider using dual kettles, or borrowing another kettle from a friend and doing a twin, full volume boil. This is easy to do indoors while straddling two burners per kettle.

2/3 of your LME can be pitched at 1 minute left in the boil. If you're worried about sanitation, extract is already sealed and sanitized and the wort will be hot enough to dispel any worries before completely chilling down to the low 60s.

You'll only need 1 oz. of Columbus early since much of your fermentables will be pitched very late and the low amount of initial wort sugars won't obstruct the isomerization of the 60 min hops too much. The middle hop charges will help to round things out.

1.00 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1.50 oz Columbus split @ 30-25-20 min
1.50 oz Columbus @ 15 min
1.00 oz Zythos @ 7 min
1.00 oz Zythos and 1.00 oz Citra @ 0
2.00 oz Simcoe and 1.00 oz Citra @ dryhop

I think a Simcoe focus in the dryhop would do really well with wildflower honey. Too much tropical fruity Citra in the dryhop may obstruct the delicate honey aroma, but Simcoe's musty pinefruit and grapefruit will help to accentuate it.

I did a honey infused IIPA last year that is aging into kind of a malty awesome Barleywine.
As far as hops go I would do a 60, 15,10,5,0 and dryhop. I just default to that for any IPA because it works and gets great flavor and aroma.

All of the advice above is great but another option is to directly pitch your honey to the fermenter. This is what I did. It's riskier in terms of infection but gets you the most honey flavor and aroma.

Thank you bobsbrew and inhousebrew for both of your replies. I think I will follow bobsbrew hop schedule, and I will probably use the 1 lb corn sugar and just 1lb of the honey (coming in soon after flameout).

I very much appreciate the tips and suggestions.

I will follow up Friday with a post brew summary of what I did.

Jay

Cracked open my first bottle of this tonight. Huge hop aroma, mostly tropical fruit. Flavor and aroma is very pleasant, lots of hops but with a smooth malt backbone. Carbonation is ok, may need a bit more time. Not a ton of honey flavor but I think the sugar and honey both did well at drying this one out. Overall very pleased. Surprisingly super smooth for a 10% DIPA.

Here is the final recipe I followed:

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 60 min] (8.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 15 min] (0.0 SRM) Grain 7
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 8
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 9
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 10
1.0 oz Zythos [10.9%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 1 min] (8.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Citra [13.9%] - Boil 0 min Hops 13
1.0 oz Zythos [10.9%] - Boil 0 min Hops 14
2 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 15
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Grain 16
2.0 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 17
2.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 18
1.0 oz Citra [13.9%] - Dry Hop 0 days

Back